R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-10-2005, 02:38 PM   #4876
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMo
Looks to only have a standard clutch.
hmm...when i look at it you seem to be right, thats quite a drawback...
I cant find the regular sponge tire kit in stock at rc-champ, is there any place you know of that has it in stock?
omni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 08:32 PM   #4877

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I just want to post that the RR I run is heaven. Its SO much fun to drive, its got more mid corner steering and control than almost any other car out there.

the throttle is touchy, but I upped the first gear pinion tooth count to make it a bit softer, but the car just launches from corner to corner. I need to get better at driving the car and stop over driving it, but every one who drives my car is dig'n its ability to corner.

Its my baby
Old 07-11-2005, 03:29 AM   #4878
Tech Regular

Hello Guys,

I'm new to nitro scene. I'm sort of making the transition from electric. The details of my electric kit is in my signature along with the details of my nitro kit.

As you can see, I'm the proud owner of a new FW-05RR. I'm gradually building it. It should be running but I still haven't bought the fuel nor configured my starterbox yet.

I was wondering, what is the RR like compared to the V-one RRR? how is it compared to the Hobao GPX4? I hear that belt is pretty much easier to handle in nitro than shaft. The GPX4 also has the reputation of being better in most of the major areas of my country's capital.

Any inputs would be appreciated.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:24 AM   #4879
Tech Master

I have just switched to the RRR for the Foam Touring class as it is a much more aggresive car, but if you are running Rubber or want an easy car to drive fast then the FW05RR is the car.
Shaft cars lack in friction drag, so they launch out of a corner faster even with a taller gearing, but they don't slow when you come off power so they can over run corners easier.

Which do I prefer?
RRR is quicker and you can hit the power harder and earlier in a corner but you have to be 100% or you'll loose the rear.
FW05RR is faster and very much easier to drive with loads of rear end grip, but it lacks that much needed front end bite when powering out of a corner.

RRR is needed to run with the 710's and MTX3's in the Foam Touring class as the FW05's lines are wrong, but in the slower paced Sports class nothing can touch the FW05, be it R/RR/S or T version, they show everything else up.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:35 AM   #4880

at my local track, the MTX3's have nothing on the RR's Same with the Serpents. Its all about learning how to drive a shaft drive car, or a car with no rolling resistance.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:05 AM   #4881
Tech Rookie

what upgrades would you suggest to a bone stock RR ?
omni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:55 PM   #4882
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to kt racing

I have a FW05RR with tons of stuff on ebay here is the link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
kt racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:56 PM   #4883
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to kt racing

by the way my reserve price is 400 bucks
kt racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:40 PM   #4884
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt racing
I have a FW05RR with tons of stuff on ebay here is the link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Just out of curiousity from a beginner: Why are you sticking with electric? It costs more in the long run. At least that's the way I see it.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:41 PM   #4885
Tech Regular

This line isn't clear to me:
Quote:
RRR is needed to run with the 710's and MTX3's in the Foam Touring class as the FW05's lines are wrong, but in the slower paced Sports class nothing can touch the FW05, be it R/RR/S or T version, they show everything else up.
The one in bold.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:50 PM   #4886
Tech Regular

Quote:
I have just switched to the RRR for the Foam Touring class as it is a much more aggresive car, but if you are running Rubber or want an easy car to drive fast then the FW05RR is the car.
Shaft cars lack in friction drag, so they launch out of a corner faster even with a taller gearing, but they don't slow when you come off power so they can over run corners easier.

Which do I prefer?
RRR is quicker and you can hit the power harder and earlier in a corner but you have to be 100% or you'll loose the rear.
FW05RR is faster and very much easier to drive with loads of rear end grip, but it lacks that much needed front end bite when powering out of a corner.

Ok, this may be a moot question from a somewhat subjective reply (no offense indended). What would it take for the FW05-RR to measure up to these other kits?
Old 07-11-2005, 08:15 PM   #4887
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch4dwick
Ok, this may be a moot question from a somewhat subjective reply (no offense indended). What would it take for the FW05-RR to measure up to these other kits?
The FW05 does measure to the other kits in everyway. But the chassis likes and works best at high traction tracks. It's more sensitive to track condition and more setting (and knowledge of) is required to realize its potential.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:19 PM   #4888
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreylin
The FW05 does measure to the other kits in everyway. But the chassis likes and works best at high traction tracks. It's more sensitive to track condition and more setting (and knowledge of) is required to realize its potential.
Oh my god... That definitely takes the fun out of my kit. The only track we have is a concrete track. We have asphalt parking lots but the surface isn't smooth. It's enough to tear up the sponge tires.

Having mentioned your comparison of shaft to belt. I concur with your explanation of the shaft. The EVO4 is a shaft chassis and, being the lame beginner that I am, I find myself overshooting the track at the end of the stretch if I don't decelerate at the right moment and at the right place.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:09 PM   #4889

Race your kit, on your track, thats the only way to know how it will work for you. Otherwise anything anyone says here is all just what they think from their tracks and their comparisons. You may find that your RR runs easy and fast. its more about driving style than it is the car itself.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:18 PM   #4890
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clegg
Race your kit, on your track, thats the only way to know how it will work for you. Otherwise anything anyone says here is all just what they think from their tracks and their comparisons. You may find that your RR runs easy and fast. its more about driving style than it is the car itself.
This is more realistic. hehehe... Somehow I find it hard to believe that kits of equal quality and good reputation cannot outdo each other to the minute level. Eventually it all boils down to the man and not the machine -- chuck yaeger.