R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-19-2004, 04:15 PM   #3241
Tech Fanatic

Yup, got it sow&steady. Thanx. I was wondering what was the vent port for a long time that it slipped my mind until today. Thankx again dude.
Ares17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 04:17 PM   #3242
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Re: FW-05RR!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bundy_Bear
Hi Guys,

I ran a FW-05R about 6 months ago now, back then it was a muct to use the Kawahara front end conversion. I believe this problem has since been fixed?

Also,

Reading back a few pages it appears as though Kyosho are about to release the FW-05RR... any body know what other goodies come in the box yet?

BB
No reponse

BB
Old 10-19-2004, 04:27 PM   #3243
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: Re: FW-05RR!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bundy_Bear
No reponse

BB
BB, the FW-05R is the same car as it was 6 months ago. People probably are figuring the car out more or getting used to a different driving style. Nothing is "fixed." The Kawahara front conversion still give you more steering.

The RR has a different front end in fact similar to the Kawahara one and also uses the RRR rear hubs.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 06:02 PM   #3244
Tech Apprentice

Default Racing the FW-05R or NTC3?

What a great forum. It's great to get advice from people that have real racing experience (and not have to read a hundred posts about which car is has the highest top speed).

Iím sitting here with a brand new FW-05R hop-up version kit and a Factory Team NTC3 kit. Both are new and Iím trying to decide which one to build over the long Minnesota winter, and which one to sell. Iím guessing that a lot of you with FW-05Rs have experience with the NTC3, as well.

Engine: OS 12TR R-Spec (with RD Logics Turbo II pipe for the FW-05R)
Radio: JR XS3 with stock servos

Racing: This will be my first season of organized racing at my LHS. Iíll be running in the rubber tire classes. The course is a prepared parking lot surface and is usually very tight, with a short straight and a few bumps. The fast guys all ran NTC3s this summer and I rarely hear them get into 2nd gear on the straight. The rest of the running time will be on a course setup with track dots in a large unprepared parking lot, with buddies. This has been my only driving experience so far, so the club racing will be a big change. From what Iíve read so far, it sounds like the FW-05RR is more suited for the small, tight track layout.

The initial cost of the FW-05R will be about $300.00 more than the NTC3, after buying the kit and buying the necessary upgrades and spares (full exhaust system, steel ring gears and everything necessary to bring it up to FW-05RR specs). This is not a show-stopper for me, but I donít throw money around that easily.

Will I be kicking myself mid-season for not going with the FW-05R, or is the difference between these 2 cars not going to be so much to a novice racer?

TIA,

Dan
i300i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 06:40 PM   #3245
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I think you should go with which ever you can get parts support because things will break and there is nothing worse than not having the part to fix your car. Both cars are very good and competitive so the car alone should not be the deciding factor. I personally have the FW and it runs great at parking lots and small tight tracks.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 06:50 PM   #3246
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Jeffrey,

I usually get 2nd day deliveries from tower hobby online and they seem to have all of the usual spares for both cars in stock.

One thing I've noticed is there aren't any recommended setups on the web for the FW-05R with rubber tires.

Can anyone help here?
Old 10-19-2004, 08:00 PM   #3247
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo

If you do order your parts anyway, then I reccomend you build the FW-05R and sell the NTC3 quick. Although the NTC3 is a very fast car, it's not forgiving enough if you crash. I know a guy that is very competitive with the car but he rebuilds the whole car after every race(new ring gears, diff cases, universals, chassis, arms....). While it may be the worst to not find the part you need to fix your car, it's almost equally as bad to constantly wrench on your car. The more time wrenching, the less time on the track. That's not the quick way to being fast on the track.

Now, assuming you took my advice and put the NTC3 on Ebay, the FW is I think at home on a small track. The RR changes were meant for medium-large tracks where the drawbacks of the car are amplified. The stock setup is very good for a small track. It shouldn't take any drastic changes to get a dialed setup.
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 08:24 PM   #3248
Tech Apprentice

Funny, I just got the NTC3 on eBay. It was cheap, so I think I'll recoup the cost plus a few bucks. I'll prolly wait til Christmas to re-list it.

I hadn't read much on the impact resistance of the FW vs. the NTC3 before. I like wrenching on the car, but I'd rather be doing post-race clean-up and maintenance, than replacing broken parts.

I was under the impression that the RRR front hubs at least would be a necessity for tighter tracks. Don't they give greater deflection at the full extents of steering?
Old 10-19-2004, 08:29 PM   #3249
Tech Elite

It's actually the opposite. The major difference is the caster angle of the knuckles. They opted to go with a more traditional 0 deg. caster on the knuckle. The old knuckle had more caster although i forget how much.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:58 PM   #3250
Tech Apprentice

So does that mean that you need to run more neg. camber when using the rrr hubs? It's my understanding that castor helps maintain camber angles when the suspension compresses.

More importantly, do you recommend the rrr hubs for small courses?
Old 10-19-2004, 09:06 PM   #3251
Tech Elite

I haven't tried the front hubs on a small track yet. You can get them anyway to experiment. They are only $6. It could help or it could not. First try the stock hubs and go from there if you think the car need some help.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:21 PM   #3252
Tech Apprentice

Good advice.

I've got enough experience over the last 2 years getting an RS4 3 to handle. For anyone wanting to learn about handling setup, just pickup one of these babies, put a ton of money into option parts, many hours tweaking and recording changes and you'll be a pro.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:29 PM   #3253
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: jeffreylin

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffreylin
No problem Marcos, let us know how they work.
will do!
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 01:32 AM   #3254
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: FW-05RR!

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffreylin
BB, the FW-05R is the same car as it was 6 months ago. People probably are figuring the car out more or getting used to a different driving style. Nothing is "fixed." The Kawahara front conversion still give you more steering.

The RR has a different front end in fact similar to the Kawahara one and also uses the RRR rear hubs.
Are they actually going to include tie rods for adjustment for the front end?

No idea of release dates????

So i take if you buy the RR no kawahara frnt end required just there diff gears...

BB
Old 10-20-2004, 02:51 AM   #3255
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default Re: Racing the FW-05R or NTC3?

Quote:
Originally posted by i300i
What a great forum. It's great to get advice from people that have real racing experience (and not have to read a hundred posts about which car is has the highest top speed).

Iím sitting here with a brand new FW-05R hop-up version kit and a Factory Team NTC3 kit. Both are new and Iím trying to decide which one to build over the long Minnesota winter, and which one to sell. Iím guessing that a lot of you with FW-05Rs have experience with the NTC3, as well.

Engine: OS 12TR R-Spec (with RD Logics Turbo II pipe for the FW-05R)
Radio: JR XS3 with stock servos

Racing: This will be my first season of organized racing at my LHS. Iíll be running in the rubber tire classes. The course is a prepared parking lot surface and is usually very tight, with a short straight and a few bumps. The fast guys all ran NTC3s this summer and I rarely hear them get into 2nd gear on the straight. The rest of the running time will be on a course setup with track dots in a large unprepared parking lot, with buddies. This has been my only driving experience so far, so the club racing will be a big change. From what Iíve read so far, it sounds like the FW-05RR is more suited for the small, tight track layout.

The initial cost of the FW-05R will be about $300.00 more than the NTC3, after buying the kit and buying the necessary upgrades and spares (full exhaust system, steel ring gears and everything necessary to bring it up to FW-05RR specs). This is not a show-stopper for me, but I donít throw money around that easily.

Will I be kicking myself mid-season for not going with the FW-05R, or is the difference between these 2 cars not going to be so much to a novice racer?

TIA,

Dan

Dan,

Go on over to the "All Hawaii State Racers" thread on the Racing forum and ask about a rubber set-up there. we have a whole mess of FW-05R's racing in the rubber class and it's the car of choice. Ask for BuggyMaster as he does very well with his in rubber class. Our climates might be different but i'm sure the setups would work('cept for tires) because we also run on a tight parking lot track.

BTW, The NTC3's time here came and went a long time ago. Not very good on rubber but pretty good on foam.

Me, I still run my MTX-3. Was going to get a FW-05R but ended up spending a bunch of money on a 777 buggy.
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote