R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-28-2004, 04:59 PM   #2776
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by NiMo
I have just e-mailed the Brookland club to confirm if the meeting is still on.
If so NiMo, Slow, Baz, Andy G, Andy & Iain are heading down from AMCC with possibly some others.
There ya go Ziggy ... join us.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:21 PM   #2777
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine
Default gears

I ran the kawahara geears with the bigest gears (spur & pinion) I could get with 55mm tires and on a 200 foot straight I never ran out of gear!
Old 08-29-2004, 05:15 AM   #2778
Tech Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to madaz

Hi, I have recieved my o5R but the hobby shop from hong kong sent me the rubber tyre version not the foam and he's not sure of the difference, I have read it preveoulsy but can't find it again he said he will send the parts over for me also its only the standard foam version no one way etc. As far as I know the only part needed is part # is VZ081. any info is appreciated.
madaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 05:42 AM   #2779
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by ziggy12345
Nimo

Hope you dont mind but copied this from 3com. Its usefull

Kyosho Options
13/37 - 2.846
13/39 - 3.000
13/40 - 3.077

Kawahara Options
17/45 - 2.647
17/46 - 2.706

KFactry Option (coming soon)
14/39 - 2.785
sorry may i ask which of those gears give the most bottom end/take off power ?
is it, the higher the number (eg. 13/40 - "3.077") the more bottom end launch?

Last edited by BrainTeased; 08-29-2004 at 06:19 AM.
BrainTeased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 06:20 AM   #2780
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by NiMo
Yes I did change the fronts and what a difference it makes, I can turn in when I want to and hold that tight line all round the corner, and it doesn't push anywhere like before.
RRR front hubs are a must!!

Tried the rear RRR hubs but have yet to notice any improvement, if anything it makes the rear end loose so I make take them back off.
I will try the rear hubs again tomorrow but this time with the RRR swing arms, which looks like they are adjustable for wheelbase length, not sure how to fit the roll ball to them though.
NiMo,
What is the center to centre distance of the pillow balls in the RRR front hubs, please?

Have you tried the MTX-3 rear hubs? I was speculating a couple of pages back re the length of the top link. The necessity to use a short link with the MTX hubs would likely see a greater dynamic camber change. This may not be happening with the RRR hubs.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 07:56 AM   #2781
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
NiMo,
What is the center to centre distance of the pillow balls in the RRR front hubs, please?
Which pillow ball do you refer to?
The steering pillow ball is about 6mm closer to the axle so you get more steering over the original hubs using the same amount of servo throw, and the best bit is you do not lose any rear end grip.
Pictures can be found here at 3hobby.com

Quote:
[Have you tried the MTX-3 rear hubs? I was speculating a couple of pages back re the length of the top link. The necessity to use a short link with the MTX hubs would likely see a greater dynamic camber change. This may not be happening with the RRR hubs.
I have not tried the MTX3 hubs and I am not happy with the RRR rear hubs, it makes the rear end loose, so I'm reverting back to the original 05 hubs.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 08:05 AM   #2782
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by BrainTeased
Correct.

But with the JP FX T03 I have to use 2.647 to prevent excessive wheel spin, even with foams.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:22 PM   #2783
rjl
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Yes, running the Kawahara crown wheel and pinion had me race the Vortec in first gear. You would be very overgeared at KROMA so 13-39 would be better.
rjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 09:43 PM   #2784
Tech Champion

Default Cadilac

Well heres the Cadilac 200mm. painted in the Andy Pilgrim style road racer
Old 08-29-2004, 09:45 PM   #2785
Tech Champion

Default another

here
Old 08-29-2004, 09:48 PM   #2786
Tech Champion

Default another

I wish I knew how to put them all together!
Old 08-30-2004, 01:32 AM   #2787
Tech Master

Default Re: another

Old 08-30-2004, 04:21 AM   #2788
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by rjl
Yes, running the Kawahara crown wheel and pinion had me race the Vortec in first gear. You would be very overgeared at KROMA so 13-39 would be better.
thanks NiMo and rjl

No wonder i had very little launch, also rob i had to loosen my 2 speed quite abit just to get the 2nd gear to kick in at the kroma track.

Now my next curiosty is why would
13/37 have less punch than 13/40 i thought with 37T it would make the car take off even more faster due to less amount of teeth meaning the amount of revolutions of the crown been driven by the pinion is shorten.

And rob ill take your advice and will save up for the machined steel gears ill be running 13/39 fronts and 13/40 rears.

also with the overdrive do i have to run my front tyres smaller than the rears eg.
Fronts 56mm Rears 60mm ?
Old 08-30-2004, 05:58 AM   #2789
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
NiMo,

Have you tried the MTX-3 rear hubs? I was speculating a couple of pages back re the length of the top link. The necessity to use a short link with the MTX hubs would likely see a greater dynamic camber change. This may not be happening with the RRR hubs.
I have had the MTX-3 hubs on the FW for some time and it makes a real difference to the rear end for foam tyres.

I was using 5 deg camber with te original hubs but now back to 1.5 deg.

The rear end is planted now!

I just changed the rears on the VoneRR EVO and it had the same effect there. I tried it yesterday and it was amazing! I got the same times as the FW. I was going to sell it but have chaned my mind now!!

Cheers

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 06:12 AM   #2790
Tech Master

Quote:
thanks NiMo and rjl

No wonder i had very little launch, also rob i had to loosen my 2 speed quite abit just to get the 2nd gear to kick in at the kroma track.

Now my next curiosty is why would
13/37 have less punch than 13/40 i thought with 37T it would make the car take off even more faster due to less amount of teeth meaning the amount of revolutions of the crown been driven by the pinion is shorten.

And rob ill take your advice and will save up for the machined steel gears ill be running 13/39 fronts and 13/40 rears.

also with the overdrive do i have to run my front tyres smaller than the rears eg.
Fronts 56mm Rears 60mm ?
The smaller the input gear and larger the output gear the taller the gearing is, for quick take off you want to run a short gear, but you will rev out a lot quicker.
Also depending on the torque your motor has decides which gear to go for, My STS need a 13/39, whilst the JP would need a 14/37 to tame the extra torque.