R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-21-2004, 11:00 PM   #2656
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo

I got the ring gears from RC-Union. They are $38 each and shipping was $17 to California way of EMS. I would like to get the 28t second gear pinion also but I haven't seen that anywhere.
It's obvious now that the car is rediculously undergeared in stock form when you look at what the IDR now with the 37T gears and compare it to the 40T gears. (2.84:1) vs. (3.1:1) respectively.

My car is so awesome right now. The powerband is so smooth and gets up to speed quicker and smoother than anything I have ever driven, even the 710. This is the best car out there! (closely followed by the 710)
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 11:05 PM   #2657
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo

Quote:
Originally posted by BrainTeased
My setup as follows

Front
Front Diff oil - 50,000 using 4 spider gears
front shock oil - 60 wt
front caster - 1 clip in between all gaps
(shock tower and arm, arm and shock brace/bulkhead, bulkhead and arm)
front camber - neg 2.5 deg
front toe out - 1 deg
droop screws screwed all the way out (not touching chassis at all times)
black kit springs (will change to light blue springs today)
shock mount position
- top : lowest hole
- bottom : top hole
front anti-roll bar - Flat
Ride height - 5.5mm
wheel base - 197mm
front foams - 40 shore

Rear
Rear diff - 5,000
rear shocks - 40 wt
rear camber - neg 3.5 deg.
rear toe in - 3 deg
rear springs - gold kit springs (will change to light blue springs today also)
rear droop screws, screwed all the way out.
rear shock mount position
- top : lowest hole
- bottom : bottom hole
Rear sway bar - silver (will change to gold also to see the affect)
Ride height - 5.5mm
wheel base - 198mm
rear foams - 37 shore

I too have the centre kawahara conversion! car feels/rolls very free.

My track is
small-medium / technical
low bite
surface is smooth but not flat.
weather condition right now is starting to hit spring so roughly 16 degree celcious which is roughly 40-45 feriheight (accuse my spelling)
Have you tried using the front droop screws? You won't have to run as much rear toe or softer tires. Try +2 droop and the front and I think you will like it alot more. You can run as little as 1.5 toe in and the same shore tires all around.
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 01:43 AM   #2658
rjl
Tech Fanatic

In some instances the overall shock length can limit droop, check that with the shock collar set to correct ride hight and the droop screws not fitted, the suspension extends beyond the spring length. I have encountered lots of cars that even with the droop screws not fitted there is still tension on the spring, this is not good.
rjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 01:54 AM   #2659
rjl
Tech Fanatic

Oh, you can run 35 front 37 rear on medium traction with this car. When you are at the coasting part of a corner, you know just before you get back on throttle the car becomes more forgiving and rotates faster than a belt car, and besides steering lock just slows you down.

Last edited by rjl; 08-22-2004 at 02:04 AM.
rjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 06:02 AM   #2660
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing4Evo
Have you tried using the front droop screws? You won't have to run as much rear toe or softer tires. Try +2 droop and the front and I think you will like it alot more. You can run as little as 1.5 toe in and the same shore tires all around.
Why thank you very much buddy will definetaly try that.

Quote:
Originally posted by rjl
In some instances the overall shock length can limit droop, check that with the shock collar set to correct ride hight and the droop screws not fitted, the suspension extends beyond the spring length. I have encountered lots of cars that even with the droop screws not fitted there is still tension on the spring, this is not good.
thanks for the tip Rob.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:03 AM   #2661
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to RCNUT
Default Bad test run

Hey guys need some help. Attemped to run the car today and it would not engage the drive shafts. The clutchbell and two speed gears were spinnging but the drives shafts were not. I open the 2 speed up 3 turns from tight and still nothing. THe clutch bell spring is at around 1.5mm. Any ideas?
RCNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 08:52 AM   #2662
Tech Regular

Default Test Run

On page 8 of your instructions there is a pin that holds the One way sleeve in. Are you sure you didnt loose that? The bearing holds that pin in when everything is together. You should be able to rotate the whole drive system with your finger rotating the first gear spur without a motor in it. If not take the Two speed apart and reassemble it again carefully.
Kurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 01:29 PM   #2663
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by NiMo
I cannot suss this car out!!
normally if you increase the 1st gear the car has a slower launch, right !!
Well I have now gone to the Kawahara 45t diff rings with a 22/50 1st gear and out the box Jaco Nitro Shoes yet the car still launches quicker than an MTX3 and the top end is even faster on the same straight space even though I'm using less revs.
Anyone got the 23T 1st gear Pinion yet? as I can no longer gear up the 1st gear.
What pipe are you running? I was at Ashby today and was running 20/51 1st with 26/45 2nd. it was ballistic from the corners but i still think it could rev more.

I changed the 7mm pipe to the 5.2 mm and it was a lot faster top end. The 5.2mm pipe had been shortened 10mm. I think if i do the same with the 7mm it will fly.

lee Broadhurst was running 22/50 and 28/45 with 39/40 ring gears!! He made poll in the B. His engine revved way past mine and had a very short 7mm pipe. (same engine but he had 0.4mm head clearance.

These JP engines ROCK!!

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 01:52 PM   #2664
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by ziggy12345
What pipe are you running? I was at Ashby today and was running 20/51 1st with 26/45 2nd. it was ballistic from the corners but i still think it could rev more.

I changed the 7mm pipe to the 5.2 mm and it was a lot faster top end. The 5.2mm pipe had been shortened 10mm. I think if i do the same with the 7mm it will fly.

lee Broadhurst was running 22/50 and 28/45 with 39/40 ring gears!! He made poll in the B. His engine revved way past mine and had a very short 7mm pipe. (same engine but he had 0.4mm head clearance.

These JP engines ROCK!!
I run a NovaRossi 5.2mm pipe, it's a left side pipe fitted upside down on the right side.
It can be positioned with the stinger pointing slightly down which then allows the pressure nipple to be protected by the chassis, and the fuel pressure pipe cannot touch the flywheel.
Also this pipe is stronger than any made for the 05 and it has yet to be dented (I have tried).

I'm running 22/50 and 26/45 with 45T kawahara diffs, but I had another kawahara drive cup shatter today, and the replacements they sent me do not fit, so it looks like I'm going the 37T route possibly with the Kfactory 14T input gear when it becomes available.

I had a good meeting today, managed to up my time to a 21 lapper, came 2nd in the final, a few places ahead of Slow&Steady.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 01:58 PM   #2665
Tech Elite

Quote:
I run a NovaRossi 5.2mm pipe, it's a left side pipe fitted upside down on the right side.
It can be positioned with the stinger pointing slightly down which then allows the pressure nipple to be protected by the chassis, and the fuel pressure pipe cannot touch the flywheel.
Also this pipe is stronger than any made for the 05 and it has yet to be dented (I have tried).

I'm running 22/50 and 26/45 with 45T kawahara diffs, but I had another kawahara drive cup shatter today, and the replacements they sent me do not fit, so it looks like I'm going the 37T route possibly with the Kfactory 14T input gear when it becomes available.

I had a good meeting today, managed to up my time to a 21 lapper, came 2nd in the final, a few places ahead of Slow&Steady.
You did well today NiMo, well done.

I on the other hand shouldn't have touched my car. I changed engines and it was out of tune, changing to second gear only by the time the car got to the end of the straight most times!

Then there was the traction rolling which I never had before at AMCC.

To top it all off, those EP marshalls kept yanking the car by the wing and ripping it off. Please tell them NOT to do that in future. We are gentle with their cars when we marshall and they should return the favour don't you think?
Old 08-22-2004, 02:06 PM   #2666
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Sow&Steady
You did well today NiMo, well done.

I on the other hand shouldn't have touched my car. I changed engines and it was out of tune, changing to second gear only by the time the car got to the end of the straight most times!

Then there was the traction rolling which I never had before at AMCC.

To top it all off, those EP marshalls kept yanking the car by the wing and ripping it off. Please tell them NOT to do that in future. We are gentle with their cars when we marshall and they should return the favour don't you think?
It's just unfortunate that we still have those anti-Nitro racers, they have been told numerous times but their brain cells only last 5 minutes before they need recharging.
(and are over peaked in the 19T class)
Old 08-22-2004, 02:07 PM   #2667
Tech Elite

Quote:
It's just unfortunate that we still have those anti-Nitro racers, they have been told numerous times but their brain cells only last 5 minutes before they need recharging.
(and are over peaked in the 19T class)

You're right there ...

Adrian was saying if they ever did that to him he'll return the favour next time ... with theirs cars 5 feet in the air!
Old 08-22-2004, 02:11 PM   #2668
Tech Master

I've just sussed out how you (Slow&Steady) always know when I've posted in this forum, you have a spy section in your site
Old 08-22-2004, 03:09 PM   #2669
Tech Elite

Quote:
I've just sussed out how you (Slow&Steady) always know when I've posted in this forum, you have a spy section in your site
You mean you didn't know that all these while?

And I have THE Ring too ...
Old 08-22-2004, 03:51 PM   #2670
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Sow&Steady
You mean you didn't know that all these while?

And I have THE Ring too ...
........and all I have is Charisma Carpenter telling me 'you got mail'