R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2004, 04:13 PM   #1936
Tech Master
 
NiMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Luton, England
Posts: 1,704
Default

They are part number : FMW 14 - 4518 (Front Springs).

They are 1.8 strength, kits are 1.7, so reds are 1 grade harder.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 05:35 PM   #1937
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,202
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by NiMo
The more I run this Kawahara chassis, the more I think it is for Foam tyre use only.
Today at the track I was coming in to the corner braking hard as usual when suddenly the car swapped ends big time, then when I tried to take the next few corners I would spin out under power.
When I got the car back to the pit area I found that a central Kawahara drive cup had come loose, then discovered that the part where the grub screw fits in was gone, I mean a big chunk of the drive cup was gone.

Close up of drive cup
Car shot
ouch! how did that happen?
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 01:43 AM   #1938
Tech Master
 
NiMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Luton, England
Posts: 1,704
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Marcos.S710
ouch! how did that happen?
I braked !!
All I can think is the part is not strong enough for 4 wheel braking.
Even in the standard brake unit the pins would work there way loose.

One thing I was working on yesterday but never got to properly finish was the LSD in the front, I used it with the LSD red oil and straight away noticed I could get the car in to the corners but had a few spins coming out, then I removed the front roll bar and was able to use hard power out of the corner.
The car felt good but I never got as far as lap timing to see if it is worth staying with the LSD conversion, but it sure does remove that push going in to a corner.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 07:25 AM   #1939
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,202
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by NiMo
I braked !!
All I can think is the part is not strong enough for 4 wheel braking.
Even in the standard brake unit the pins would work there way loose.

One thing I was working on yesterday but never got to properly finish was the LSD in the front, I used it with the LSD red oil and straight away noticed I could get the car in to the corners but had a few spins coming out, then I removed the front roll bar and was able to use hard power out of the corner.
The car felt good but I never got as far as lap timing to see if it is worth staying with the LSD conversion, but it sure does remove that push going in to a corner.
i guess i will leave my car stock ,without the conversion,thats alot of money for those parts to break.I have no problems with the car the way it is now.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 08:16 AM   #1940
Tech Elite
 
esham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: racing line - push to the limit
Posts: 2,942
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Marcos.S710
i guess i will leave my car stock ,without the conversion,thats alot of money for those parts to break.I have no problems with the car the way it is now.
__________________
Kyosho R4/V1RRREvo2/ OSpeed>Nova353T & S/Evo4M>Nova-KeepOnS
Transponder Pokok Cherry- [email protected]
Kelab Peminat Kereta Kawalan Jauh Ipoh, Perak
esham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 09:35 AM   #1941
Nitro Tech
 
dino.tw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: I can drive!
Posts: 1,459
Default

Jeff, Lucky or not tonight?
dino.tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 09:41 AM   #1942
Tech Elite
 
jeffreylin's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Traction Roll!
Posts: 2,564
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by dino.tw
Jeff, Lucky or not tonight?
Dino, I should've listen to you and replace the pinion gears when my 1st gear spur stripped the first time. Even with the 51T it stripped again right before the main and I did not even get one lap in! The car was running good too! What a bummer. I did get lucky and won the 2nd prize raffle (NT$1,500). Of course it's all gone now as I immediately spent it all on parts.

Oh well, a lesson learned. Hopefully I will do better next Sunday.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 09:52 AM   #1943
Nitro Tech
 
dino.tw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: I can drive!
Posts: 1,459
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffreylin
Dino, I should've listen to you and replace the pinion gears when my 1st gear spur stripped the first time. Even with the 51T it stripped again right before the main and I did not even get one lap in! The car was running good too! What a bummer. I did get lucky and won the 2nd prize raffle (NT$1,500). Of course it's all gone now as I immediately spent it all on parts.

Oh well, a lesson learned. Hopefully I will do better next Sunday.
WHAT!!! YOU GOT LUCKY PRIZE!!! HOLY SHxT.....
It is no fair,I have joined the star light cup many times. But never get that lucky prize......U....

The star light cup is just a warmup match to you. You will meet many fast racers next Sunday. Don't forget the 22T/28T pinion gear. At least you need to try once and get report from AMB system. Your car is still not fast enough if you want to get A main ticket. Go~Go~Go~
dino.tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 10:53 PM   #1944
Tech Champion
 
nitrodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 5,845
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Im considering buying one of these cars. The main question I have is about the diff gears. I used to race a NTC3 and I gave it up because the gears were so easy to strip. Are the stock diff gears on this car made of plastic? And if so, how do they hold up?

Please let me know.
__________________
Steven Muller
AKA El Pibe RUFAST? HAHA!!!
Ronin Speed Parts
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 10:59 PM   #1945
Tech Elite
 
jeffreylin's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Traction Roll!
Posts: 2,564
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by nitrodude
Im considering buying one of these cars. The main question I have is about the diff gears. I used to race a NTC3 and I gave it up because the gears were so easy to strip. Are the stock diff gears on this car made of plastic? And if so, how do they hold up?

Please let me know.
Stock diff gears are made of aluminum. I just rebuilt my diff yesterday and they were good as new after 2 gallons.

Now if you are talking about the ring/bevel gears they too are made of aluminum. I replaced mine with the optional steel ones and thet are bullet proof.

The pinion gears do wear out after a while though. I learn that last night...
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 11:08 PM   #1946
Tech Champion
 
nitrodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 5,845
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I actually meant the ring/bevel gears, how do those hold up?
__________________
Steven Muller
AKA El Pibe RUFAST? HAHA!!!
Ronin Speed Parts
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 11:16 PM   #1947
Tech Elite
 
jeffreylin's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Traction Roll!
Posts: 2,564
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by nitrodude
I actually meant the ring/bevel gears, how do those hold up?
I only ran the stock alumnium ones for half a gallon and they were fine. I have heard people saying they wear out quickly but others never had problems with them. Aside from wearing out, I have not heard of stripped ring/bevel gears.

I would recommend that you replace them with the optional steel 39T ring gears. Aside from the fact they are stronger, they also free up the drivetrain considerably. There is a little weight penalty but well worth it in my opinion.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 01:10 AM   #1948
Tech Master
 
NiMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Luton, England
Posts: 1,704
Default

Slight correction:
Stock diff rings are made from basic 'Cast Steel', and the upgrade diff rings are made from stronger 'Machined Steel'.

You would think fitting the little heavier machined rings would slow up your take off speed, but because the teeth are truer you actually get more take off speed.
The Kawahara diff rings are lighter and finer pitched and run even freer than the machined gears, so you lose nothing fitting these overgeared rings, and you never run out of revs as you use the smaller pinions.
I have just started using the Kfactory pinion gears and they appear to mesh better than the stock gears, hopefully they will last a little longer.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 09:43 AM   #1949
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 251
Default

Hey Nimo,

To prevent getting dirt inside my car I have put a thin peace of carbonfolie under my car right onto the chassis.
It's a cheap and easy way of keeping dirt getting into you're gears.

I have polished the rings, aswell as the pivotballs.
This will make them more smooth and will in the front give a slightly better steering.

I run my car stock, and it feels realy well! It is nice to see that in the land of the Snake Kyosho and Mugen rules. Espacially on clubsman level!
840918001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 12:38 PM   #1950
Tech Master
 
NiMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Luton, England
Posts: 1,704
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by 840918001
Hey Nimo,

To prevent getting dirt inside my car I have put a thin peace of carbonfolie under my car right onto the chassis.
It's a cheap and easy way of keeping dirt getting into you're gears.
I see 3 problems with that idea for me:
1- The National scene does not allow any underbody/chassis aerodynamic aids, which includes taping over the chassis cut outs.
2- Most of our tracks have grass run offs, and blades of grass can get trapped in the chassis.
3- I run too many kerbs for it to last more than a heat (blame it on the car for being so kerb friendly), I'm already on my second chassis as new screws will not lay flush in the old chassis any more.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FOR SALE - Mugen MBX5T ProSpec and Kyosho STR with chassis conversion and Kyosho big MattWells R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 04-28-2017 10:25 AM
1986 1/12 Kyosho Plazma MKIII With Kyosho LeMan 600E Motor Funkymojo R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 05-17-2012 11:11 AM
Custom painted Kyosho SP2 and Kyosho STRR bodies.... RC3 Graphics SWEET W/ PICS CRFXXXT R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 01-07-2008 07:38 PM
MACH. 28/NEW PS, KYOSHO MINI INFERNO ST/W/3NEW IB1400 8 CELL PACKS, KYOSHO 1./8 BUGGY newbie2 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 11-18-2007 06:07 PM
Convert Kyosho Quick Start system on Kyosho QRC to Pullstart Morpheus2be Monster Trucks 0 02-16-2005 11:26 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:34 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net