R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-08-2003, 07:02 AM   #166
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default FW steering

Guys, some help please...
I cant get the front wheels of my fw to go back to perfect neutral (center) once I let go of the wheel. I'm using a high torque servo for the steering and still no perfect centering of the front wheels. I also have made adjustments to the servo saver spring and still the problem persists. This car is a real pain when it comes to the steering assembly I have had such an easy time with my evo and RR. But this car.....
Any thoughts and/or solutions to this nagging problem of mine would be GREATLY appreciated.
JPRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 12:13 PM   #167
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Are you still using the kit supplied pillow ball nuts?
Sp Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 12:46 PM   #168
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by V-One S Racer
Well, the un-thinkable is going through my mind... I'm contemplating selling my V-One RR Evo for an FW-05R !

I know the thought's not gunna go away until I eventually give in and buy one too !
christmas is near :P Hit the folks up for the FW-05R, keep the evo still
doff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 05:48 PM   #169
Tech Master

Default Pillow Ball nuts

SP Racer: No. I switched them to aluminum ones from the RR.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:52 AM   #170
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Do you think RR's floating rear body mount will fit for this car? Are the parts interchangeable with RR? The car looks really good, the only my concern is the gearing options. What you guys think?
luketob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 06:02 PM   #171
Tech Rookie

Default Re: FW steering

Quote:
Originally posted by JPRacing
I cant get the front wheels of my fw to go back to perfect neutral (center) once I let go of the wheel. I'm using a high torque servo for the steering and still no perfect centering of the front wheels. I also have made adjustments to the servo saver spring and still the problem persists. This car is a real pain when it comes to the steering assembly I have had such an easy time with my evo and RR. But this car.....
Any thoughts and/or solutions to this nagging problem of mine would be GREATLY appreciated.
Check your steering linkages for freeness and also the front hubs, you may have somthing a bit too tight and it is binding.
shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 04:02 AM   #172
Tech Addict

Default Re: FW steering

Quote:
Originally posted by JPRacing
You might want to check the tightness of the pillow-ball-nut in the upright/knuckle. Also, it's better to have a plastic spacer in between the pillow & nut if you have swapped the nut to the RR ones. Hope it these help, cheers!
doctorj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 05:18 AM   #173
Tech Fanatic

I would bet that the stock pivot ball retainers (the black molded plastic ones) are causing the problem. They're not contoured and cause peculiar binding right around the neutral position. The retainers are flat and they work well until the broached hex hole in the center of the pivot ball aligns with the hole in the center of the flat retainer (it's a little hard to explain, but you'll see it clearly if you take out the retainer).

Swap the stock pivot ball retainers with some machined Delrin retainers (I did). I think it will make your problem go away.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 06:21 PM   #174
Tech Master

SPRacer, Shogun, DoctorJ, SteveP:

THANK YOU ALL for the advice.
In the process of checking the things you guys told me to, I found that the two bell crank towers were the problem. They both have black plastic bushings instead of ball bearings. Need to replace those. Also, if you tighten the blue steering linkage too much, it will bind like hell.

Thanks again guys

SteveP: I replaced mine with original aluminum RR retainers and they worked fine.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:48 PM   #175
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just got meself a FW-05R...just wanna know what are the diff oil u guys use.....other than the stock ones provided....for medium size track with medium traction...usually all round 37's foamsthink of using frnt diff oil 7000 n rear diff oil 1000...wats ur verdict?
vones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 07:00 AM   #176
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by vones
Just got meself a FW-05R...just wanna know what are the diff oil u guys use.....other than the stock ones provided....for medium size track with medium traction...usually all round 37's foamsthink of using frnt diff oil 7000 n rear diff oil 1000...wats ur verdict?
hurhur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 07:13 AM   #177
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by vones
prawntoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 07:55 AM   #178
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by hurhur
hahaha...just reach office ...
vones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 08:15 PM   #179
Tech Master

Vones - I am currently running 50K front and 10K rear, I am not too sure what John is using.

John: Care to post what the diff oil you are using?
Joehwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 09:16 PM   #180
Tech Addict

Default .

Quote:
Originally posted by Joehwee
Vones - I am currently running 50K front and 10K rear, I am not too sure what John is using.

John: Care to post what the diff oil you are using?
Mine's 10K Front & 1K Rear. But am in the process of changing to 3K Front & rear remain at 1K.....
doctorj is offline   Reply With Quote