R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-01-2004, 07:17 AM   #1606
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by NiMo
There is nothing major wrong with my car, it's just that every one is starting to say the rear end is loose, but mine is solid.
Yes the car pushes a little but it can be controlled with the throttle, I can still drive around others but I want that little bit more front end bite.
I have even tried 32 rear and 27 front and it still pushed (rubber tyres) which is why I cannot understand those who are losing the rear end, and I'm also only running 1 degree of toe in on the rear.

Hey I've just remembered something! when I first had the car I tried to go more than 2 degree toe in and found the rear end undriveable but it was fine with 2 degrees or less.
Could this be your rear end problem?
what is your caster?
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 07:43 AM   #1607
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Marcos.S710
what is your caster?
Currently at maximum which give more power on steering.
I also running the Akerman plate to give more turn to the inside wheel, this has reduced tyre wear but has made no difference to the cars front end grip.
I have used all suspension angle options, all oils between 25wt and 90wt in steps of 5wt, different front and rear widths both together and alternate between 193mm and 204mm (200mm is maximum legal width), front diff oils between 5k and 100k, rear diff oils between 5k and 100k, ride heights between 2mm and 8mm, and I have even run with the chassis screws loose.
The one thing that has given me more on power steering is the Kawahara chassis but I still feel I'm losing out to others under power from mid to high speed sweepers simply because the car wants to push, slow 180 corners are no problem and I can kick the back out when I need to.
Saying all that the car still walks all over my V-one R so it's no slouch.
NiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 08:54 AM   #1608
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
There is nothing major wrong with my car, it's just that every one is starting to say the rear end is loose, but mine is solid.
Yes the car pushes a little but it can be controlled with the throttle, I can still drive around others but I want that little bit more front end bite.
I have even tried 32 rear and 27 front and it still pushed (rubber tyres) which is why I cannot understand those who are losing the rear end, and I'm also only running 1 degree of toe in on the rear.

Hey I've just remembered something! when I first had the car I tried to go more than 2 degree toe in and found the rear end undriveable but it was fine with 2 degrees or less.
Could this be your rear end problem?
I think this is the character of the chassis. I too am beginning to find that 1 or 1.5 rear toe-in works best.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 01:01 PM   #1609
Tech Master

I ran the Kawahara front conversion for the first time on Sunday at Ashby and the car was a dream to drive! the front end had so much bite and the back was rock solid.

I was running around 3 deg toe in at the back and later adjusted it to 2 and could even come down more. This will give me a little better turn in.

I ran the 22 / 28 mugen gear but find that i need to shim the first gear to give me better mesh.

I intend to fit the Kawahara centre conversion and run the 25 26 and 27 Kyosho gears for more choice.

Does the 46 or 45 t bevel go on the back?

Looking forward to the nationals at Ashby on the 26-27th

Cheers

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 01:03 PM   #1610
Tech Addict

Ziggy - Would you mind listing what your full car set up is?

Thanks,
-Rich
RichChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 01:15 PM   #1611
Tech Master

Front
Black spring
35wt oil
Roll bar flat
37 GQ tyres
6mm ride height
Kawahara front conversion
Shocks middle
2 deg camber
0 toe
clips at the back
Front one way

Back
Gold Spring
35wt oil
black roll bar
2 deg toe
3 deg camber
link highest angle
Diff 50K oil
Shock outer hole
Loads of droop!

22 / 28t gears

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
Old 06-01-2004, 01:20 PM   #1612
Tech Addict

Thanks, Ziggy! Is the track high-bite? Is the "loads of droop" just for the rear, or for the front, also?

-Rich
Old 06-01-2004, 01:28 PM   #1613
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Rich, thought you would be interested.

http://www.corcar.com/yabbse/index.p...y;threadid=678
J_Longbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 01:32 PM   #1614
Tech Addict

Hah! Funny guy. My MT-12 is in the trash. You will have no problem guessing what engine I just ordered.

-Rich
Old 06-01-2004, 02:36 PM   #1615
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by RichChang
Thanks, Ziggy! Is the track high-bite? Is the "loads of droop" just for the rear, or for the front, also?

-Rich
On a dry day the track is medium. 2mm dropp at the front 6-8mm at the back

Cheers

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
Old 06-01-2004, 02:51 PM   #1616
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by ziggy12345
I ran the Kawahara front conversion for the first time on Sunday at Ashby and the car was a dream to drive! the front end had so much bite and the back was rock solid.

I was running around 3 deg toe in at the back and later adjusted it to 2 and could even come down more. This will give me a little better turn in.

I ran the 22 / 28 mugen gear but find that i need to shim the first gear to give me better mesh.

I intend to fit the Kawahara centre conversion and run the 25 26 and 27 Kyosho gears for more choice.

Cheers
45 front 46 back gives overdrive to the front.
you will need to drill each lower diff housing to fit the parts (a 2mm hole)
Old 06-01-2004, 03:01 PM   #1617
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:

Cheers
what does the kawahara conversion does to the car?
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 03:02 PM   #1618
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by esham
Yes.. I still believe this Kyosho kits should work by its stock setup only tuning/tweak and assemble correctly is the matter. I keep my setup as stock and will adjust the suspension and tires on track. now i'm ready with my "smooth" front/rear diff. Will test is when i can steal a few hours of my busy day.
Yup.. that's it.Manage to do afew lap test yesterday everning. No more spining/loose on power exit corner and no problem into corner either. No oversteer Able to make a few small circle on power without spin/loose problem. In fact it is abit understeer.!!!! Now i need to put back the caster ( current is 0), Front toe to +1 (current is 0) and abit soft suspension in front as to reduce abit the understeer.

In my case it's differential mess front and rear was the problem. Rebuild back. Ensure the shim of ring pinion at the correct position. Change the rear roll center from H to Low. The rest is the same as i had it before. Even the tires i still have it 40 all round. I can use 37 in front to increase front grip. Diff oil 30K/3K, Ride height 5.5/6.5, Droop +2/+4, toe 0/-3, camber -2/-3. trackwidth 198/198, Ring stock 40/40T, Spring Black Rear spring in front and option spring orange soft at rear. Front swaybar vertical hard, Rear Sway bar stock. Engine so much power Max Fantini . Track traction "parking lot" medium traction.
esham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 03:07 PM   #1619
Tech Master

Quote:
45 front 46 back gives overdrive to the front.
you will need to drill each lower diff housing to fit the parts (a 2mm hole)
I havent tried overdrive to the front. Whats the result with foams?

I usually run the front tyres smaller than the rear, which is underdrive!!

Maybe i should run 45 at the rear and 46 at the front

Cheers

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance
Old 06-01-2004, 03:23 PM   #1620
Tech Master

Quote:
I havent tried overdrive to the front. Whats the result with foams?

I usually run the front tyres smaller than the rear, which is underdrive!!

Maybe i should run 45 at the rear and 46 at the front

Cheers
Foam racers normally run front overdrive, but I have found this car nicer to drive on power with rear overdrive, just nasty off power without front oneway (when will they release a centre oneway unit).