R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 793
Default New JACO sedan tire to debut at Capitol Classic

JACO will debuting our new "Prism 1.5" sedan tires at the Capitol Classic in early June. This tire will set new standards in performance never before seen in 1/10 sedan racing.
The new Prism 1.5 wheel is unique not only by its looks, but also by design. The "1.5" refers to the camber angle molded INTO THE WHEEL. Now, as the tire wears, the amount of foam on the wheel remains relatively consistent from the inside to the outside of the wheel. This results in longer tire life, more forward traction, better wear patterns, and improved cornering speeds. In addition, the unique Prism style wheel is not only stylish and functional, but very lightweight.
Ralph Burch raced to victory on these tires at the Rams race a couple weeks ago and Paul Lemieux and Bobby Flack qualified 1st and 2nd respectively at the Midwest series race in Cincinatti this past weekend. All our drivers agree that the Prism 1.5 definately yields faster lap times and makes the car much more stable.
We have been testing these tires in secrecy for months, but now it is time to release the information to the public. These tires will be available the last week of May in preparation for the race at 301.
Of course, as always, the tires will come with the FRESHEST rubber you can buy, at a competitive price.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
Tech Regular
 
meronr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oradell NJ
Posts: 476
Default

can you post a pic?
__________________
Meron Rubinowitsch
meronr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
Tech Master
 
spenzalii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Upper Marlboro, MD
Posts: 1,424
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii
Default

Interesting concept. A setup question: Would you have to set your car up for 0 degrees camber to start at the 1.5 degrees of camber?
__________________
This episode is brought to you by the letters M, T, X and the number 4....
spenzalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:40 PM   #4
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 4,148
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher
Default

Jack:

Maybe you already answered this in the original post, but I don't understand the advantage of making a wheel with the camber already molded in. How/What is the advantage vs the "old way" of adding camber on the car suspension, or also pre-cambering the tires when they are trued.? I did read what you said.... more forward traction, longer tire life, wear patterns, and corner speed. I just do not understand how/why the new wheel does these things vs the "old way"
__________________
| Capricorn | Ybslow | Proline-Protoform | Johnny Bravo Racing | Desoto Racing | Murnan Modified | Matrix Tires | Powermaster Fuel |
Scott Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:45 PM   #5
Team EAM
 
EAMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,158
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports
Default

I am not Jack but what I read in the post is that the Wheel has the camber built in...Not the tire. I do not race gas but I assume this is so that when the car wears camber into the tire during a race the foam will be the same thickness all the way across the tire and not real small on the inside and larger on the outside. Should make for a more consistent feel.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
I am not Jack but what I read in the post is that the Wheel has the camber built in...Not the tire. I do not race gas but I assume this is so that when the car wears camber into the tire during a race the foam will be the same thickness all the way across the tire and not real small on the inside and larger on the outside. Should make for a more consistent feel.

EA
hmmm i though you know everything
E.Rocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:21 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
Jack:

Maybe you already answered this in the original post, but I don't understand the advantage of making a wheel with the camber already molded in. How/What is the advantage vs the "old way" of adding camber on the car suspension, or also pre-cambering the tires when they are trued.? I did read what you said.... more forward traction, longer tire life, wear patterns, and corner speed. I just do not understand how/why the new wheel does these things vs the "old way"
When you true camber into the tires before a race with a standard wheel you essentially go out onto the track with more rubber on the outside of the wheel than on the inside. Have you ever run out of tire in a main? Usually it is the inside of the wheel that wears first since you trued it smaller. With these wheels, you go out with the same amount of foam across the width of the wheel. This allows you to run longer before the tires wear out and creates more bite since you are running on equal thicknesses of rubber on the inside and outside of the wheel.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:36 PM   #8
Tech Elite
 
rcfoolz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,327
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz
Default

That makes total sense...would another benefit be less tire wear as the tire would have more grip and less spin?....Are the wheels going to be a new design?
__________________
Am I going back racing?...Hmmm.. Not anytime soon... But soon enough.
rcfoolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:42 PM   #9
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 396
Default

Per Jack's post:

"The new Prism 1.5 wheel is unique not only by its looks, but also by design. The "1.5" refers to the camber angle molded INTO THE WHEEL. Now, as the tire wears, the amount of foam on the wheel remains relatively consistent from the inside to the outside of the wheel. This results in longer tire life, more forward traction, better wear patterns, and improved cornering speeds. In addition, the unique Prism style wheel is not only stylish and functional, but very lightweight.
The "1.5" refers to the camber angle molded INTO THE WHEEL. Now, as the tire wears, the amount of foam on the wheel remains relatively consistent from the inside to the outside of the wheel. This results in longer tire life, more forward traction, better wear patterns, and improved cornering speeds. In addition, the unique Prism style wheel is not only stylish and functional, but very lightweight."
Ted Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:44 PM   #10
Tech Elite
 
rcfoolz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,327
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz
Default

I should have wrote: is it different than the carpet prism wheel.
__________________
Am I going back racing?...Hmmm.. Not anytime soon... But soon enough.
rcfoolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:24 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 793
Default

It looks just like the carpet wheel, but smaller in diameter. We will be issuing the press release tomorrow along with updating our website with a few pictures.
When I talked with Ralph, he said that he felt the wear was better than a standard tire. Another point that both he and Paolo mentioned was that the tires held their pre-race trued shape better. In other words, the tires came off with the same amount of camber on them as when they started. Paul, Ralph, and Paolo (I haven't talked to Bobby yet) all had to remove rear toe-in because the tires had more rear grip.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:26 PM   #12
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 4,148
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rimer View Post
When you true camber into the tires before a race with a standard wheel you essentially go out onto the track with more rubber on the outside of the wheel than on the inside. Have you ever run out of tire in a main? Usually it is the inside of the wheel that wears first since you trued it smaller. With these wheels, you go out with the same amount of foam across the width of the wheel. This allows you to run longer before the tires wear out and creates more bite since you are running on equal thicknesses of rubber on the inside and outside of the wheel.
I understand. I do have another question or so. I am assuming from what you have said that the wheel is tapered so the diameter of the plastic is smaller on the inside of the wheel, than the outside. Based on this assumption (correct me if that is not true) I would also assume that the foam is actually thicker on the inside. Also then based on those assumptions if I were to pre-camber at 1.5 degrees that should then yield the same thickness of foam across the entire surface.

Please tell me if what I have said seems correct.
__________________
| Capricorn | Ybslow | Proline-Protoform | Johnny Bravo Racing | Desoto Racing | Murnan Modified | Matrix Tires | Powermaster Fuel |
Scott Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:35 AM   #13
Tech Elite
 
LOW ET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: cleveland, ohio
Posts: 2,889
Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)
Default

when can i order some?
LOW ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:17 AM   #14
Tech Regular
 
RayJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 445
Default

I had a chance to pit by Bobby at the Midwest Series, and have to say that they are really awesome looking wheels. They seemed lighter than the current design, but I'm not sure if thats the case. Both Bobby's and Paul's cars were hooked up at the Cinci race. Both of these guys had amazing corner speed, and acceleration.
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:43 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
I understand. I do have another question or so. I am assuming from what you have said that the wheel is tapered so the diameter of the plastic is smaller on the inside of the wheel, than the outside. Based on this assumption (correct me if that is not true) I would also assume that the foam is actually thicker on the inside. Also then based on those assumptions if I were to pre-camber at 1.5 degrees that should then yield the same thickness of foam across the entire surface.

Please tell me if what I have said seems correct.
Yes. The tires are trued from the factory straight across like any other tire. There is more foam on the inside than the outside...until you cut camber into the tire to race. Then the foam is even across the width of the tire.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
** CHEAP ** Jaco Sedan Foams Jaco 1/12 Foams New in Package 20+ pairs rc36deuce R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 23 10-07-2008 06:47 PM
2008 CAPITOL CLASSIC @ 301 RACEWAY June 4-8 Chewdogg Nitro On-Road 615 06-17-2008 08:55 PM
Capitol City Classic: Race For Autism Awarness vines Kansas/Missouri Racing 116 06-10-2008 04:37 PM
2007 Capitol Classic @ 301 Raceway Chewdogg Nitro On-Road 616 08-10-2007 04:48 PM
Foam Tire Sedan vs Rubber Tire Sedan RCGaryK Electric On-Road 57 01-25-2004 04:27 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:21 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net