Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New JACO sedan tire to debut at Capitol Classic

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default New JACO sedan tire to debut at Capitol Classic

JACO will debuting our new "Prism 1.5" sedan tires at the Capitol Classic in early June. This tire will set new standards in performance never before seen in 1/10 sedan racing.
The new Prism 1.5 wheel is unique not only by its looks, but also by design. The "1.5" refers to the camber angle molded INTO THE WHEEL. Now, as the tire wears, the amount of foam on the wheel remains relatively consistent from the inside to the outside of the wheel. This results in longer tire life, more forward traction, better wear patterns, and improved cornering speeds. In addition, the unique Prism style wheel is not only stylish and functional, but very lightweight.
Ralph Burch raced to victory on these tires at the Rams race a couple weeks ago and Paul Lemieux and Bobby Flack qualified 1st and 2nd respectively at the Midwest series race in Cincinatti this past weekend. All our drivers agree that the Prism 1.5 definately yields faster lap times and makes the car much more stable.
We have been testing these tires in secrecy for months, but now it is time to release the information to the public. These tires will be available the last week of May in preparation for the race at 301.
Of course, as always, the tires will come with the FRESHEST rubber you can buy, at a competitive price.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:07 PM
Tech Regular

can you post a pic?
Old 05-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Interesting concept. A setup question: Would you have to set your car up for 0 degrees camber to start at the 1.5 degrees of camber?
Old 05-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Jack:

Maybe you already answered this in the original post, but I don't understand the advantage of making a wheel with the camber already molded in. How/What is the advantage vs the "old way" of adding camber on the car suspension, or also pre-cambering the tires when they are trued.? I did read what you said.... more forward traction, longer tire life, wear patterns, and corner speed. I just do not understand how/why the new wheel does these things vs the "old way"
Old 05-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I am not Jack but what I read in the post is that the Wheel has the camber built in...Not the tire. I do not race gas but I assume this is so that when the car wears camber into the tire during a race the foam will be the same thickness all the way across the tire and not real small on the inside and larger on the outside. Should make for a more consistent feel.

EA
Old 05-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
I am not Jack but what I read in the post is that the Wheel has the camber built in...Not the tire. I do not race gas but I assume this is so that when the car wears camber into the tire during a race the foam will be the same thickness all the way across the tire and not real small on the inside and larger on the outside. Should make for a more consistent feel.

EA
hmmm i though you know everything
Old 05-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
Jack:

Maybe you already answered this in the original post, but I don't understand the advantage of making a wheel with the camber already molded in. How/What is the advantage vs the "old way" of adding camber on the car suspension, or also pre-cambering the tires when they are trued.? I did read what you said.... more forward traction, longer tire life, wear patterns, and corner speed. I just do not understand how/why the new wheel does these things vs the "old way"
When you true camber into the tires before a race with a standard wheel you essentially go out onto the track with more rubber on the outside of the wheel than on the inside. Have you ever run out of tire in a main? Usually it is the inside of the wheel that wears first since you trued it smaller. With these wheels, you go out with the same amount of foam across the width of the wheel. This allows you to run longer before the tires wear out and creates more bite since you are running on equal thicknesses of rubber on the inside and outside of the wheel.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

That makes total sense...would another benefit be less tire wear as the tire would have more grip and less spin?....Are the wheels going to be a new design?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Tech Regular

Per Jack's post:

"The new Prism 1.5 wheel is unique not only by its looks, but also by design. The "1.5" refers to the camber angle molded INTO THE WHEEL. Now, as the tire wears, the amount of foam on the wheel remains relatively consistent from the inside to the outside of the wheel. This results in longer tire life, more forward traction, better wear patterns, and improved cornering speeds. In addition, the unique Prism style wheel is not only stylish and functional, but very lightweight.
The "1.5" refers to the camber angle molded INTO THE WHEEL. Now, as the tire wears, the amount of foam on the wheel remains relatively consistent from the inside to the outside of the wheel. This results in longer tire life, more forward traction, better wear patterns, and improved cornering speeds. In addition, the unique Prism style wheel is not only stylish and functional, but very lightweight."
Old 05-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I should have wrote: is it different than the carpet prism wheel.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

It looks just like the carpet wheel, but smaller in diameter. We will be issuing the press release tomorrow along with updating our website with a few pictures.
When I talked with Ralph, he said that he felt the wear was better than a standard tire. Another point that both he and Paolo mentioned was that the tires held their pre-race trued shape better. In other words, the tires came off with the same amount of camber on them as when they started. Paul, Ralph, and Paolo (I haven't talked to Bobby yet) all had to remove rear toe-in because the tires had more rear grip.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jack Rimer
When you true camber into the tires before a race with a standard wheel you essentially go out onto the track with more rubber on the outside of the wheel than on the inside. Have you ever run out of tire in a main? Usually it is the inside of the wheel that wears first since you trued it smaller. With these wheels, you go out with the same amount of foam across the width of the wheel. This allows you to run longer before the tires wear out and creates more bite since you are running on equal thicknesses of rubber on the inside and outside of the wheel.
I understand. I do have another question or so. I am assuming from what you have said that the wheel is tapered so the diameter of the plastic is smaller on the inside of the wheel, than the outside. Based on this assumption (correct me if that is not true) I would also assume that the foam is actually thicker on the inside. Also then based on those assumptions if I were to pre-camber at 1.5 degrees that should then yield the same thickness of foam across the entire surface.

Please tell me if what I have said seems correct.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

when can i order some?
Old 05-07-2008, 03:17 AM
Tech Regular

I had a chance to pit by Bobby at the Midwest Series, and have to say that they are really awesome looking wheels. They seemed lighter than the current design, but I'm not sure if thats the case. Both Bobby's and Paul's cars were hooked up at the Cinci race. Both of these guys had amazing corner speed, and acceleration.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
I understand. I do have another question or so. I am assuming from what you have said that the wheel is tapered so the diameter of the plastic is smaller on the inside of the wheel, than the outside. Based on this assumption (correct me if that is not true) I would also assume that the foam is actually thicker on the inside. Also then based on those assumptions if I were to pre-camber at 1.5 degrees that should then yield the same thickness of foam across the entire surface.

Please tell me if what I have said seems correct.
Yes. The tires are trued from the factory straight across like any other tire. There is more foam on the inside than the outside...until you cut camber into the tire to race. Then the foam is even across the width of the tire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.