Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
Start by adding more rear droop to let more weight shift forward off power, I also run double the rear droop on the front. I wouldnt touch your springs or toe because these affect more than just turn in. If droop doesn't give you enough steering reduce the front track and/or add castor. You can also change the ackerman but from memory the R40 only has the option of changing the ball location on the hub which personally I wouldn't change. You can also try running less camber on the front to give more immediate bite but this will lessen mid corner front grip.

personally I'd put the spool in and see how it handles, if you lose bite then add rear droop and you should be fine
Thanks for that info, I was planning on getting a spool lock aswell!!
I never adjust the ackerman, I should learn to ajdust it....
Old 02-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jscamry
Thanks for that info, I was planning on getting a spool lock aswell!!
I never adjust the ackerman, I should learn to ajdust it....
the ackerman plates on the newer cars are great, to switch between spool and 1 way you pretty much just change the plate and your car steers the same

Yeah Roy if you have oversteer on turn in that suggests your rear droop is a bit high so the spool should go fine. Personally, and this might just be the setup I run, I haven't found much difference in my cars steering between the 1 way and the spool. I do notice the brakes tho
Old 02-10-2008, 01:16 AM
Tech Master

Spool is in, car is set up, cleaned up. Electronics are charging and I'm ready to race tomorow. HPI challenge is next week so tomorow is my warm up. I'll have the R40 and the Micro RS4 running. I'm going to be running rubber tire getting ready for next week. I already have a good setup for foam.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
the ackerman plates on the newer cars are great, to switch between spool and 1 way you pretty much just change the plate and your car steers the same

Yeah Roy if you have oversteer on turn in that suggests your rear droop is a bit high so the spool should go fine. Personally, and this might just be the setup I run, I haven't found much difference in my cars steering between the 1 way and the spool. I do notice the brakes tho

what new plate is this?..
Old 02-11-2008, 01:03 AM
Tech Master

Okay, results for today's racing. 1st place A main for R40, 4th place Micro. R40 was hooked up. Ended up using HPI 33r's (rubber) with red inserts and the Escudo body to get ready for the challenge race next Sunday. I got lucky though. I was down 2 laps to Derik Butterfield with his Super Nitro before he ran out of fuel. He had thrown a belt on his R40 in the second heat and we all agreed he could run the super in the main. I lost an insert when one of my front tires let go in the same heat. Its been a long time since I have glued up a set of tires. I didn't do such a hot job. Had a few small issues in the main. My clutch seemed to soften up as the day went on. This didn't happen last week. I need to tear it down and have a look. I'll probably go back to the Mugen Grey from the stock HPI clutch shoe. Next, The 2 speed stopped shifting 3/4 through the main. No idea why, but the track wasn't too long, so not too bad. My car developed tweak as it would drift right on hard acceleration. I haven't really looked to see what caused these things. Just gotta tear it down and check it out this week. With all those things, I managed to run 21 laps. Thats 1 more lap then last month and a new personal best. (the track layout was the same too) I didn't have a chance to take pictures with my new camera (christmas present from the wifey) but I'll take lots at the challenge this Sunday and post them here.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

So Cal HPI challenge race this Sunday. Only 4 days!

Rubber tire = good. Same setup as foam.
Front spool = extra good.

Now I just need to do somthing about my front sway bar mount. I can't seem to get it even left to right. I think I need to enlarge one of the mounting holes on the non adjustable side so I can get the suspension flat. I think this is what was causing my car to pull on acceleration.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:19 AM
Tech Addict

Good luck on the race, let us know how you do!!!

Thanks Jason.

Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
So Cal HPI challenge race this Sunday. Only 4 days!

Rubber tire = good. Same setup as foam.
Front spool = extra good.

Now I just need to do somthing about my front sway bar mount. I can't seem to get it even left to right. I think I need to enlarge one of the mounting holes on the non adjustable side so I can get the suspension flat. I think this is what was causing my car to pull on acceleration.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jscamry
Good luck on the race, let us know how you do!!!

Thanks Jason.
I had a long super fun day of racing. I ran the same R40 in sportsman and pro nitro. Thats 4 qualifiers and 2 mains. Ended up in 5th place pro, and 3rd place sportsman. The car ran flawlessly all day. I beat it up pretty bad too. No broken parts. Ended up running rubber tire for both classes. I tried foams durring a 30 min break before the mains, but not enough traction. 33r's with red inserts were the way to go. I got all the problems sorted out except the pulling durring acceleration. I still think the front sway bar is causing me the grief. I didn't have enough time to get it figured out before the race, so I just lived with it. It almost helped since it wanted to pull right and there was a right hand sweeper going into the long straight so I could really gas it.

I also relearned a painful lesson about running rubber tire. If you high side, do NOT yank the throttle trying to get your car off the barrier. Doing so will cause the tire to baloon and you will throw an insert and blow the tire off the rim. I did this in the pro main. I pulled the car off, put 2 new tires on, kept racing and managed 5th place (10 min race). 10 minutes is a long time. I'm used to 5 minutes only. Lost focus and hit lots of stuff.

Check out the HPI site. I got my picture there. They even posted a picture of my car in the sportsman main. It's the one on 2 wheels. I switched from the escudo body to the stratus because I had done so badly in the pro main just 3 heats before.

Hope all you R40 owners go to your regional HPI Challenge race.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Tech Addict

Where are the picures on the HPI site, I must be overlooking them!

~jason

I had a long super fun day of racing. I ran the same R40 in sportsman and pro nitro. Thats 4 qualifiers and 2 mains. Ended up in 5th place pro, and 3rd place sportsman. The car ran flawlessly all day. I beat it up pretty bad too. No broken parts. Ended up running rubber tire for both classes. I tried foams durring a 30 min break before the mains, but not enough traction. 33r's with red inserts were the way to go. I got all the problems sorted out except the pulling durring acceleration. I still think the front sway bar is causing me the grief. I didn't have enough time to get it figured out before the race, so I just lived with it. It almost helped since it wanted to pull right and there was a right hand sweeper going into the long straight so I could really gas it.

I also relearned a painful lesson about running rubber tire. If you high side, do NOT yank the throttle trying to get your car off the barrier. Doing so will cause the tire to baloon and you will throw an insert and blow the tire off the rim. I did this in the pro main. I pulled the car off, put 2 new tires on, kept racing and managed 5th place (10 min race). 10 minutes is a long time. I'm used to 5 minutes only. Lost focus and hit lots of stuff.

Check out the HPI site. I got my picture there. They even posted a picture of my car in the sportsman main. It's the one on 2 wheels. I switched from the escudo body to the stratus because I had done so badly in the pro main just 3 heats before.

Hope all you R40 owners go to your regional HPI Challenge race.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Tech Master

Here is the link

http://hpiracing.com/news/2008010301/

Pictures.

Thats me on the drivers stand at the far left.

3rd place

2 wheeling in the sport main

Escudo in Nitro pro.

Heavy damage to the body, but no broken parts. Gotta drive cleaner!
Old 02-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Tech Regular

Default R40 for sale

Hey guys how is everyone. I'm selling my R40 check out my listing on EBay thanks...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:L:LCA:US:1123
Old 02-23-2008, 02:27 AM
Tech Master

Okay guys, I got to talk to some of the HPI guys about the possibility of a new "race" level 200mm car. The answer I got was that HPI/HB would follow the trends in RC and that eventually there would be a new gas touring car by Hot Bodies since HPI is doing the sport/bashing level cars and trucks. So, is HPI out of gas touring? No, but who knows when there will be a new car released. I just know that I'll be racing my R40's this year. We'll see what happens next year. Who knows, if the challenge series keeps going, I may keep running HPI.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:23 PM
Tech Addict

Quick question for you racers. When do should one replace thier arms on thier cars? The reason that I ask is because I have a few arms that when I adjust my pivot balls they are pretty easy to turn, does this mean that my arms are just to worn out? Also are most of you running the stock clutch on your car, if so when should I replace the thrust bearings and rention spring(the one that is tighten) and finally the two other teflon composite pieces 87094 and 87096- when is a good tell-tell sign that these need to be replaced?

Thanks Jason
Old 02-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Tech Master

If the pivot balls are loose in the arms, then its time to replace the arms. I have never had that happen to me. A hard crash could enlarge the hole and make this happen though. With the clutch, your thrust bearing should be cleaned and regreased every race day. The spring shouldn't need to be replaced unless you are having problems with clutch engagement. Same with the clutch shoe. This is the part that actually contacts the clutch bell. The other parts inside are the clutch weights and dont usually wear.

Some really serious racers replace the thrust bearings every race and have a set schedule for clutch shoe replacement. This type of maintenance is required more on high traction tracks with high powered engines along with 20 min or longer mains. What is it like at your races?
Old 02-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Tech Addict

If the pivot balls are loose in the arms, then its time to replace the arms. I have never had that happen to me. A hard crash could enlarge the hole and make this happen though. With the clutch, your thrust bearing should be cleaned and regreased every race day. The spring shouldn't need to be replaced unless you are having problems with clutch engagement. Same with the clutch shoe. This is the part that actually contacts the clutch bell. The other parts inside are the clutch weights and dont usually wear.

Some really serious racers replace the thrust bearings every race and have a set schedule for clutch shoe replacement. This type of maintenance is required more on high traction tracks with high powered engines along with 20 min or longer mains. What is it like at your races?
Thanks for the info, at my local track for club racing. We race once a month, but I plan if time permits I plan to do some traveling and get some more racing under my belt. Our track is sprayed with a VHT type of compound.
I am sure as to my specs of my track size. It changes from month to month.
as my next race I will tak some pics!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.