Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-24-2004, 06:09 AM   #1426
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
Holy smokes Harry!

Is that your car?? How the heck did it get that light?
does it have a motor installed?
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 07:01 AM   #1427
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

yep....
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 07:35 AM   #1428
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I hate to break it to everyone.......but all these cars are 'toys'!

Highly engineered and highly priced 'toys'.....but 'toys' none the less....

I wish we could put an end to these things for good. None of these cars are perfect. MTX3, G4, and 710 owners use just as many hop ups as R40 owners. Why??? Because they want to....its as simple as that.

Were all doing what we want to, buying the kits we want to, and choosing the hop ups we feel we want. So whats the big deal?

It never ceases to amaze me how people think of switching RC car brands or having one particular RC car brand as if they have devoted themselves to some religon or something!

I actually remember one dude on the message boards saying he felt like he had actually won something because a team driver using the same car he does, happened to win a big title .............NUTS!......plain NUTS!

Its not that serious...
Old 01-24-2004, 07:40 AM   #1429
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by r12 schumacher
does it have a motor installed?

Old 01-24-2004, 08:17 AM   #1430
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

so a stock mtx3 is 1760g

a stock r40 is 1820g?

and if i bought all the hop-ups harry's got i could bring it to 1717g

so does it handle as well as a mtx3?

is it as durable?

if the only issue is it weighs 60g more than its competition but everything else is on point it sounds like ive made my decision

Last edited by PTP Racing; 01-24-2004 at 08:24 AM.
PTP Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 08:29 AM   #1431
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

Actually, I think the whole weight thing is really over-played. 100 grams isn't quite 4 oz. And from my past experience, a slightly heavier car actually drives a little better..smoother and feels more planted. I'll take a better handling, smoother driving car that I can put consistent lap times in with over a super light, floaty feeling car anyday!

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 08:39 AM   #1432
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkseid
MTX3, G4, and 710 owners use just as many hop ups as R40 owners. Why??? Because they want to....its as simple as that.
Darkseid, the 710 does not need any hop ups out of the box. Just some corrections...
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 09:12 AM   #1433
Tech Initiate

As far as durability, my R40 has taken more flying tumbles off of plow disks than I'd care to admit and nothing has broken. I ran it into the tire of my F250, lodging the left front wheel under the tire at about 30 mph and broke the axle at the wheel nut. I thought my A-arms were gonna be toast but they were perfect. only the axle broke at the threads.
h82crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 09:42 AM   #1434
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Darkseid, the 710 does not need any hop ups out of the box. Just some corrections...
Take a look at that quote of mine you put in your post...

No where in there does it say that they "need" hop ups. Here, I'll write it again...

"MTX3, G4, and 710 owners USE just as many hop ups as R40 owners.....because they WANT to..."

No where did I say that the car needed it. I don't feel that the G4 'needs' any hop ups, but have you seen pics of the car that Cyrul ran? That thing had hardly any original parts left aside from the suspension. Does that mean every G4 owner needs to go Kawahara crazy to be competitive.....nope.

Personally, I don't think any of these cars 'need' any hop ups. But we buy them cause we want them.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:09 AM   #1435
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie Solara
Thanks for the opinion........but don't get me wrong, I am not really a parking lot basher type, I "OPTION" the parts that I really need.........so those aluminum arms, steering knuckles or titanium king pins are defiinitely NOT what I am looking for........in this case R40, I see several major upgrade that is a MUST (well, not really, but at least I think OPTION will make the R40 better)

(1) Carbon shock towers front and rear.........you guys can tell me hows the stock one holding...from what I saw, most stock R40 with stock plate are all bent or something....so carbon fiber tower should be there.

(2) The whole lightweight transmission...........no need to say more, the lighter the better, from 2-speed gears, to hollow shaft to light weight clutch housing.....lighter is better and is faster.

(3) Carbon side brace........same as the shock tower.

I think with these 3 major upgrade, the R40 should be capable to race against 710, MTX, NTC3 and G4........yes, I've seen stock R40 beat up 705 before, but what I am saying is, these are my 1st stage of upgrade on R40.

In this case, I think I will definitely spend this season on the R40.....not running the 710 for this season is a very tough decision for me, but I always enjoy to tune a UNDERDOG chassis and race against the fast guy like 710, G4, Reflex and NTC3......I did that on my Super Nitro against Serpent Impact before, I don't mind to try that on 200mm class..........

Not to mention..........HPI challenge.
what in the hell are you talking about?

it sounds to me like you think the R40 cannot compete with the "fast guys"..

ever heard of a.hara? besides his skill, why would HPI put the R40 in his hands to compete at the ROAR NATIONALS? Why not the RS4-3? Because the R40 was built for competition..

Calling the R40 an underdog chassis is the worst insult you can give. Your comparison of the Super Nitro to the Serpent Impact DOES NOT APPLY HERE!!!!

The R40 is in the SAME EXACT LEAGUE as the 710, NTC3, Reflex, G4, MTX3, etc, etc.. It is NOT a basher like the freakin Super Nitro. Jeez. Oh yea, so you saw the R40 "beat up" the 705. So what is the 705 then, chop suey?

in my honest opinion: if you think the car sucks, don't use it.

HPI is better off without your purchase. the ignorance ..
tranced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 01:18 PM   #1436
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally posted by tranced
what in the hell are you talking about?

it sounds to me like you think the R40 cannot compete with the "fast guys"..

ever heard of a.hara? besides his skill, why would HPI put the R40 in his hands to compete at the ROAR NATIONALS? Why not the RS4-3? Because the R40 was built for competition..

Calling the R40 an underdog chassis is the worst insult you can give. Your comparison of the Super Nitro to the Serpent Impact DOES NOT APPLY HERE!!!!

The R40 is in the SAME EXACT LEAGUE as the 710, NTC3, Reflex, G4, MTX3, etc, etc.. It is NOT a basher like the freakin Super Nitro. Jeez. Oh yea, so you saw the R40 "beat up" the 705. So what is the 705 then, chop suey?

in my honest opinion: if you think the car sucks, don't use it.

HPI is better off without your purchase. the ignorance ..
Wow.....please don't hurt me here, I am scare.........LOL, you sounds like you KNOW alot about RC cars and stuff, and please, I am a newbie here and spend only 18 years in RC ONLY....so, if you don't like what I say, you can come here and talk to me in person instead of doing this chicken shit bashing in the cyber space....

So you are saying R40 is up to par or even BETTER then oithers like G4, 710 or MTX3...? Dude....you must be smoking, of course, stock R40 tuned or drive by HARA against me, yes, he will blew me away.........but again, take a look at the last and ONLY victory of the R40 at Revelution............WHERE are the other team drivers...? AE, SERPENT MEGEN even KYOSHO are no show...and suddenly HARA (1st chair team driver of the mfr) show up and took the win..............

Wow...that is a big win, like Michael Schmacher suddenly come race INDY with his F1 car and took the win...

If you want to see whos the boss.........wait untill the winter national.

Japan National..........R40...where the hell is R40..? Cleaned up by MTX3.

And please look at HARA's R40......STOCK? How much? He got all the HPI aftermarket parts that we don't even see untill late december.........and without those parts, you really think his R40 will still win...?

And yes, you said why HPI won't let HARA use the RS4...? Because HPI knew RS4 is a POS at the beginning and HARA is smarter then that NOT to waste his time on RS4 SS with $2000 options is still like a crap.....

Last........I was trying to be very very nice to ask ppl what options are worth to get for the R40........and this is WHAT I GET...?

Nice, very nice.............

Last....like Initial D said...........Serpent 710 DOES NOT NEED any option right out the box...and all team driver or most driver are running the 710 is STOCK form.........

WHY....? BECAUSE 710 is a BETTER CAR, just like MTX3 or G4...

but overall, it is better it is NOT because they are brand name, it is better because they are $360 over $230....cause that extra $130 are for the carbon fiber upper deck, shock towers, lighter transmission and other OPTIONS. that R40 will need to upgrade.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 01:28 PM   #1437
Tech Adept

OUCH!
HPIRACER310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 02:24 PM   #1438
Tech Regular

all i can do is laugh.

never once did i mention that only hara can win with the car.

japanese nationals: the R40 took several high spots at these events. why only in japan? because HPI has DRIVERS in japan. Ever wonder why you never saw Hara in the united states before recent years? ... They never had a car that was capable!

But now they do, and people are crapping their pants because all those years of hating HPI amounted to nill.

Please, don't tell me you don't know HPIs are notorious for being hop-up queens. If one thing doesnt change amongst HPI cars, it's money mongering.

Quote:
So you are saying R40 is up to par or even BETTER then oithers like G4, 710 or MTX3...? Dude....you must be smoking, of course, stock R40 tuned or drive by HARA against me, yes, he will blew me away.........but again, take a look at the last and ONLY victory of the R40 at Revelution............WHERE are the other team drivers...? AE, SERPENT MEGEN even KYOSHO are no show...and suddenly HARA (1st chair team driver of the mfr) show up and took the win..............
Where are the other team drivers? IN JAPAN, IDIOT!

Those companies were NO SHOW? Go read the results. Or how about i post them up here FOR YOU:

1st: R40
2nd: NTC3
3rd: G4
4th: 705
5th: MTX-3
6th: MTX-3
7th: NTC3
8th: G4
9th: GT-4
10th: NTC3

Quote:
Wow...that is a big win, like Michael Schmacher suddenly come race INDY with his F1 car and took the win...
it still takes the car to win the race.

Quote:
If you want to see whos the boss.........wait untill the winter national.
Sure will! and looking foward to the results, maybe once a specific car wins you will switch to it?

Quote:
Japan National..........R40...where the hell is R40..? Cleaned up by MTX3
JMRCA 1/10 GP Nationals: 2nd (by Akira Ema), and Top 10 (with an inexperienced Daisuke Yoshioka behind the transmitter)

Quote:
And please look at HARA's R40......STOCK? How much? He got all the HPI aftermarket parts that we don't even see untill late december.........and without those parts, you really think his R40 will still win...?
STOCK? Please tell me when I EVER said Hara's car was stock. Even without the option parts, he still had a fighting chance. Hop ups don't make up the entire car. Somewhere along the line, good engineering made the difference.

Quote:
And yes, you said why HPI won't let HARA use the RS4...? Because HPI knew RS4 is a POS at the beginning and HARA is smarter then that NOT to waste his time on RS4 SS with $2000 options is still like a crap.....
I don't think you sensed the sarcasm in my post.. but very well! Please go on trying to find new ways to flame me!

Quote:
Last........I was trying to be very very nice to ask ppl what options are worth to get for the R40........and this is WHAT I GET...?
You got my response the way it was, because you put down a perfectly good car, calling it the "UNDERDOG". It most certainly is not.

Quote:
Nice, very nice.............
Yes, especially your temperment.

Quote:
Last....like Initial D said...........Serpent 710 DOES NOT NEED any option right out the box...and all team driver or most driver are running the 710 is STOCK form.........
Why do you think this is? How many hop ups are actually out for the 710 ? Two.. Three.. even Four?

Quote:
WHY....? BECAUSE 710 is a BETTER CAR, just like MTX3 or G4...
Again, I never said the R40 is better then the others. I said it can remain competative. My quote:
"The R40 is in the SAME EXACT LEAGUE as the 710, NTC3, Reflex, G4, MTX3, etc, etc.. It is NOT a basher like the freakin Super Nitro"

Quote:
but overall, it is better it is NOT because they are brand name, it is better because they are $360 over $230....cause that extra $130 are for the carbon fiber upper deck, shock towers, lighter transmission and other OPTIONS. that R40 will need to upgrade.
OK, fine, you wanna talk about cost? How's this..

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGBT0&P=7
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGBT1&P=7
-Front & Rear Carbon Fiber Shock Towers: $25 & $15. $40 total.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFYN4&P=7
-Bellcrank Bearings Upgrade: $14
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFYN0&P=7
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFYN3&P=7
-Hollowed Layshafts: $15 & $18. $33 total.

http://rc-mushroom.com/product_info....roducts_id=727
-R40 Japan Pro Kit: $280 (comes with alloy shocks, oneway)

Not including option graphite upper deck (because it already comes with a very capable one).

Grand Total: $367. Now tell me, if the prices come out basically the same, where's the big deal? Just shows that the R40 can be upgraded as you may see fit. And still retain a low price point. All those things aren't necessary for you to win a race.

Sure, I don't have any other US wins for the R40 other then the Nationals. But the car will prove itself over time.

So I say to you, go lust after your snakes, in the 710 thread!
tranced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 03:03 PM   #1439
Tech Initiate

Before getting to the bottom of the last post I was thinking "why is Rookie Solara even on this thread if he hates the R40?" Find your snake thread and let us get to talk on the car we like.

My other Q was, Why do you think these cars are so different? They are 3 pound toys, it's not brain science..or rocket surgery.....whatever. Hara would blow us away with a Bolink, so what is the point if there is a "best car".

Give the Mugen team driver an R40 and let him set it up as desired and it will perform just as well. Kind of like letting Al Unser Jr drive Schumacher's car, huh? And, is English your 2nd language?

BTW, I'm going to drive mine stock except for a gear change and have fun, See Ya.
h82crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 07:42 PM   #1440
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

forget about iDiot snake. they are low grade creature.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote