R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-19-2004, 10:23 AM   #1351
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by tranced
what you say is true, no doubt about it.. just that some people feel satisfaction in knowing that public opinion is backing their future investments
True.....true........and thats also the biggest problem. When I buy a car, I have one concern, and one concern only. "Will I be happy with it." Who cares if its the "people's choice" or not? I ran a Academy STR-4pro electric sedan for nearly a season because I liked it. Most people had never heard of the car, let alone actually seen one. But it was a great performer and handled well, and I liked it.

The funny thing is, I bought it when there was no one to ask whether it was 'good' or not, or whether it was 'as good' or 'better' than this other car.....

I just decided to buy it and let the chips fall where they may.

Same thing with my Yok SD electric sedan. Everyone else in my area has sold theirs because its not the flavor of the month anymore. They ask me with a sarcastic tone "why are you still running that thing..."

Uhhh...........I don't know......because I like it!
Old 01-19-2004, 10:28 AM   #1352
Tech Regular

it's this damned technology! influencing our every movement.. down with forums!

actually i have a brochure for academy/mrc products (came with my superbrain charger ) and i know what the str4pro is!!!!

you are not alone my friend
tranced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 10:32 AM   #1353
Regional Moderator

anyhew......back to R40 stuff......

diff leakage

The gasket doesn't neccesarily have to be damaged to have leakage. When I built my car brand new, my diffs appeared to be fine at first, but then started to leak later on.(before the car was ever run)

I simply went back in and coated the gasket and all surrounding parts with silicone sealant. The great thing about the R40 diffs is that there is a lot of surface area there to apply the sealant on and around the gasket. And the sealant isn't even visible once your done!(which is a good thing since my sealant is bright blue!)

I don't think I'll have anymore leakage problems.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:34 AM   #1354
Regional Moderator

Quote:
it's this damned technology! influencing our every movement.. down with forums!
You'd be surprised, there are some people that actually feel that way! They say the same thing you just said, but they were serious!

Old 01-19-2004, 10:38 AM   #1355
Tech Regular

also.. not sure if this is true.. been a while since i assembled the diff, but.. when you install the slimmer side of the diff half onto the deep side, and install the screws, its wise to press both halfs together HARD while you screw down, because if you dont, the screw might tap into the slimmer half and limit the closure of the diff.

this was a major problem with the mtx-2, if any of you remember (i sure do).
Old 01-19-2004, 03:56 PM   #1356
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkseid
Who cares what anybody thinks of any of these cars. I just wish guys would 'man up', make a decision on their own, and quit asking everyone else what they think of a car.

The result is ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS the same. You hear mostly great stuff from people who own the car, and bad stuff or claims that 'ours is just as good or better, yadayadayada...' from people who run another car. Then the eventual arguement pops up.

So, why ask in the first place. The best thing to do is for people to do their own research, make up your own mind, and if their not happy with the purchase, sell it and buy another car.

Simple!
That is a big ole pile of steaming BS. How do you research the wear characteristics of a car after 6 gallons? Magazines run them for like 10 tanks. How do you determine how well the car goes together when building it? Without building the car? I cannot afford to buy every kit on the market. OF COURSE every car is similar in handling if you spend time on setup, after 4 years of gas racing I get that.

If you look at my questions I have NEVER asked how fast is the car or how well it handles. I have a few years of racing experience and have been running pro nitro cars for the whole time. Also anybody who is objective and not brand blind loyal will give you objective opinions of their current ride. I can tell you the good and bad of my V1RR EVO in intimate detail if you ever care to ask.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 04:05 PM   #1357
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by fastharry
AMG......What tranced and FJ said are true......And I'll add one more thing........If anything hurts the R40 is the preconcieved notion that its the same quality as their other cars...its NOT....

Some people don't figure the car to be race worthy.....and they are dead wrong........Yeah,some of the ball cups have a little bit of play......and some of the arms need a little shimming.......but through a gallon and half of fuel,my car has held up very well.....

*snip*

http://www.teammagic.com.tw/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=186

Try the car....you'll like it..
Just ordered one. Thanks for the reply Harry. I am nervous with HPI after sinking a whole BUNCH of money into their stinky fish product the Racer 2. That car reeked so badly even with the "it is not supposed to be raced" caveat attached. Good to hear the new car finally gets a proper design.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:51 PM   #1358
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by AMGRacer
That is a big ole pile of steaming BS.
Thats your chioce to feel that way if you want. But no matter how many people you ask about a car, your still taking a risk. Your asking them their opinion and hoping they tell you the truth. You can ask a thousand people a thousand questions, but your still just going to have to wait and see for yourself.

I just find it more reliable to go with what I think of a car, not what this guy or that guy or his buddy thinks of it.

Besides, if everyone waits till someone else has a car to tell them about it, who is the first person to jump in and just buy the thing?

I can't affoard to buy every car on the market either, but I've never made a purchase I wasn't happy with because I always make up my own mind.

I just don't see the point of asking other peoples opinion about a kit, when their opinions may be different than mine.

Example: some people think the R40 is under equiped because it lacks aluminum shocks. I could care less about aluminum shocks as long as the composite units work well. Two different opinions about the same issue. So what good would it do me to ask the other person about it?

Example: "it should have a one-way": how do they know unless they've raced at my track? Again, whats the point of getting someone elses opinion about it when I KNOW what works for me at my track?

I just hate to see what comes after someone ask those type of questions. Some one who owns a different car always feels the need to chime in and complain, or say 'buy this one its better" yadadadadada...it never seems to end up pretty.

But like I said, you believe what you want. If you trust other people opinion more than your own.......hey thats your choice.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:58 PM   #1359
Regional Moderator

Quote:
also.. not sure if this is true.. been a while since i assembled the diff, but.. when you install the slimmer side of the diff half onto the deep side, and install the screws, its wise to press both halfs together HARD while you screw down, because if you dont, the screw might tap into the slimmer half and limit the closure of the diff.

this was a major problem with the mtx-2, if any of you remember (i sure do).
I'm not quite sure what happened with mine. Like i said, it was fine for about a week, then it just started leaking both front and rear. Maybe it just took that long for the oil to make its way out!

I'm just happy that the diffs don't leak out of the outdrives like it did with my ReflexNT! Now THATS annoying........and messy!
Old 01-19-2004, 05:03 PM   #1360
Regional Moderator

Has anyone heard when HPI plans to make the lightened upper deck availible for here in the US. I don't quite understand the "one thing at a time" way they're releasing the hop ups to the US. They certainly aren't waiting till they have enough supply to meet demand, cause many of the other hop ups were out of stock almost immediately after being released.

I can't wait to see some of the other stuff they've got planned.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:09 PM   #1361
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to icon

Quote:
Just ordered one. Thanks for the reply Harry. I am nervous with HPI after sinking a whole BUNCH of money into their stinky fish product the Racer 2. That car reeked so badly even with the "it is not supposed to be raced" caveat attached. Good to hear the new car finally gets a proper design.
Hey AMG, welcome aboard! havent had discussion with you for a while since the V One R & RR.
icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 07:23 PM   #1362
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by icon
Hey AMG, welcome aboard! havent had discussion with you for a while since the V One R & RR.
Thanks Icon! I still have my V1RR EVO but it is being retired temporarily while I evaluate this new R40.

Even though we are not meant to have opinions on this thread I will be sharing my experiences and biased non objective views on this car. Hope you dont mind

I think this car has a heap of potential, and best for me since I live in the asian region I can access all the cool hopups for dirt cheap! $4.80 for 2 dogbones! $4.00 for the two hopup swaybars! $3.50 for pinions! Man I am in heaven
Old 01-19-2004, 10:16 PM   #1363
Tech Regular

Quote:
Thanks Icon! I still have my V1RR EVO but it is being retired temporarily while I evaluate this new R40.

Even though we are not meant to have opinions on this thread I will be sharing my experiences and biased non objective views on this car. Hope you dont mind

I think this car has a heap of potential, and best for me since I live in the asian region I can access all the cool hopups for dirt cheap! $4.80 for 2 dogbones! $4.00 for the two hopup swaybars! $3.50 for pinions! Man I am in heaven
who told you that we are not meant to have an opinion in this thread?

who told you your views must be non biased and non objective?

who told you that living in the asian region has its benefits?

its questions like these that make you wonder..

why does it even matter? im happy, are you?
Old 01-19-2004, 10:28 PM   #1364
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to icon

Quote:

i'm still waiting for my car ( this is the last time we're ordering a car from LHS , and sad thing is i work for this store). but you're right as far as parts goes: HPI should be cheaper than Kyosho. Although it shouldnt be that bad in Australia as it is Stateside. We really get ripped of on Kyosho parts thanx to Great Planes Distributing. Are most of the HPI original options out in your area yet?

As always I'll look forward to your comments on the car. Particularly the centax clutch since there were a few complaints about that.

Darkseid:

I dont understand HPI's strategy either. I can understand Japan getting most of the options first, but they are taking way too long to bring it to the States.
icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 10:40 PM   #1365
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by icon
i'm still waiting for my car (this is the last time i'll order a car from LHS ). but you're right as far as parts goes: HPI should be cheaper than Kyosho. Although it shouldnt be that bad in Australia as it is Stateside. We really get ripped of on Kyosho parts thanx to Great Planes Distributing. Are most of the HPI original options out in your area yet?

As always I'll look forward to your comments on the car. Particularly the centax clutch since there were a few complaints about that.

Darkseid:

I dont understand HPI's strategy either. I can understand Japan getting most of the options first, but they are taking way too long to bring it to the States.
Yep we have access to all those pretty hopups on the Japanese site But I am going to try the car stock first, I think it should be very good without hopups. The weight really should not be a huge issue, there are some simple things you can do to get the weight down.

The car that came second in the 2003 JMRCA weighed in at 1760g ready to run. Was using a light battery pack, light top deck, carbon shocktowers, hollow shafts and Ti screw set. Also these guys has a lightweight 0.8M gearset (prototype or mayby Kawahara part?) installed on the car.

I have a few years experience with Mugen and Kyosho centaxes so I should be able to tame this one. Also the HPI clutch appears to be compatible with Mugen clutch shoes. The Mugen shoes come in some very useful compounds (Grey for bite and Red for a little more "slip).

Another interesting thing is in the JMRCA race Hara had some traction rolling issues whereas Akira Ema reported a reduction in traction rolling after laying his shocks down a fair bit with the new front and rear shock towers.

Notice the incline on the shocks. Also notice the Active Hobbies front adjustable body post used for a 5th body post. Very cool since it does not require a 5th hole to be cut.