Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 08:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sorry about that, that was a mistake in speaking on my part.

If your happy with the 21/43 on your 2nd gear ratio, then just drop down to a 16T 1st gear pinion and stick with your 48T 1st gear spur. That should allow you to get your gear mesh perfect.

Sorry about the mix up!
o no problemo Darkseid you're forgiven

Sleeper: thx for clarify that, i know there's a talk about gearing early on this thread, i'm just too lazy to find it
Old 12-28-2003, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

you can use any FIRST GEAR PINION and SPUR gear combo with ANY second gear pinion and combo...

Look in the back of your manual...all the part numbers are there,as well as the combo's gear ratios....

I can't see why this is still an issue...
Old 12-28-2003, 12:29 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Its an issue because he asked and none of the 'experts' around here answered. So I answered the best I could.

Personally, I still don't see how its "physically" possible to run "ANY" combo, but if you guys say so I'll take your word for it.

And since he is having gear mesh problems with his combo, I would guess that "ANY" combo isn't possible.

But again, if I'm wrong, no problem, I was just trying to help him!

Jezzzzzzzz........
Old 12-28-2003, 08:24 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Darkseid
Personally, I still don't see how its "physically" possible to run "ANY" combo, but if you guys say so I'll take your word for it.
You can. Other cars have already been able to do this on their gearing selections before the R40 came out...

Originally posted by Darkseid
And since he is having gear mesh problems with his combo, I would guess that "ANY" combo isn't possible.
I think front1wayFreak mentioned that he has a Mugen clutch on his R40. Perhaps that is the reason for his meshing problem... Else, everything should work fine as fastharry mentioned.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:58 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by InitialD
You can. Other cars have already been able to do this on their gearing selections before the R40 came out...
I guess you got me there. Like I said, if I was wrong, I would take you guys word for it. I just wish I got how they manage to pull it off!

I think front1wayFreak mentioned that he has a Mugen clutch on his R40. Perhaps that is the reason for his meshing problem... Else, everything should work fine as fastharry mentioned.
True......true.......forgot about that part. Ooops......
Old 12-28-2003, 10:00 PM

I just picked one up today. Quite a few of the 1/8 scale guys here in the Midwest are going to be running them this year. I was told the car was designed at least in part by Delta(who also did the proceed). The gear thing is one of the nice features of the car. I like a lot of the little things in the design that I think will make it bullet-proof. Oh well hurry up USPS.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:41 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by OB42TC3
I just picked one up today. Quite a few of the 1/8 scale guys here in the Midwest are going to be running them this year. I was told the car was designed at least in part by Delta(who also did the proceed). The gear thing is one of the nice features of the car. I like a lot of the little things in the design that I think will make it bullet-proof. Oh well hurry up USPS.
Not playing devil's advocate here, I thought you mentioned previously that you were looking for cars that would do at least 4.4 thereabouts on the 2nd final drive ratio. If that's the case, the R40 would not even cut it at 4.957.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by B

did you get your friend a R-40 equilavent present ??

well, he knew i was getting him a gyro for his heli for x mas, but he really surprised me with the R40 because he said he was getting me a playstation 2 for x mas and gran turismo 4 when it comes out.

renjie:

i've known my friend since 1st grade and he is like family to me. regardless whether he buys me an R40 or just an X mas card its the thought that counts.

i hope everyone had a great holiday and a happy new year.

oh yeah, and on the gear thing, i think how they can pull it off with proper gear mesh if the diameter of the different spurs are the same and ditto for the pinions. the actual teeth of the gears between the different spurs would have to be slightly different in order to accomodate for the same diameter.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:36 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by InitialD
Not playing devil's advocate here, I thought you mentioned previously that you were looking for cars that would do at least 4.4 thereabouts on the 2nd final drive ratio. If that's the case, the R40 would not even cut it at 4.957.

I think you guys are gonna be suprised with some upcoming parts for the r40......

HPI is really committed to this car(as well as the PRO4)...

Gearing issues will be adressed.....
Old 12-29-2003, 05:58 AM
Tech Regular

I think you guys are gonna be suprised with some upcoming parts for the r40......
Hmmmmm did Fastharry get a crystal ball for Christmas???
Old 12-29-2003, 07:09 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by fastharry
Gearing issues will be adressed.....
Cool. I hope you're right !
Old 12-29-2003, 10:21 AM
Tech Addict

True..true..i found the problem that i had to taper the chassis just a bit so the clutchbell will have enough play, it works perfect now. Thx guys.

BTW, R40 been out for a while and i'm surprised not too many aftermarket companies make hopups for it (unlike the racer generation). Do you know if HPI will come up with rear blade type sway bar?
Old 12-29-2003, 11:03 AM
Regional Moderator

front1wayfreak: Actually, just about EVERY major aftermarket company has a line of hopups for the R40. Not to mention the stuff from HPI.

3racing
Integy
Kawahara
HPI

all make hopups. Most of them just haven't made it to the market yet. Most are listed as "Coming Soon".

HPI Japan has a rear adjustable dual blade type sway bar for the rear on their site. Don't know when/if it will reach the states though.

http://www.hpiracing.co.jp/

Just type in R40 into the search bar, then start clicking links. You'll eventually run across the hop ups page.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:46 AM
Tech Addict

Thx Darkseid, the rear sway bar sure looks hot man!!

How come youre always here Darkseid..don't you have something better to do? Happy new year man!!
Old 12-29-2003, 12:58 PM
Regional Moderator

I get to babysit my kids all day during the day, so ummmm......nope, don't have anything better to do!

Its either this or watch Blue's Clue's and Rollie Pollie Ollie all day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.