R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2008, 09:14 PM   #11776
Tech Addict
 
jscamry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Oviedo,FL
Posts: 507
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jscamry Send a message via MSN to jscamry Send a message via Yahoo to jscamry Send a message via Skype™ to jscamry
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Start by adding more rear droop to let more weight shift forward off power, I also run double the rear droop on the front. I wouldnt touch your springs or toe because these affect more than just turn in. If droop doesn't give you enough steering reduce the front track and/or add castor. You can also change the ackerman but from memory the R40 only has the option of changing the ball location on the hub which personally I wouldn't change. You can also try running less camber on the front to give more immediate bite but this will lessen mid corner front grip.

personally I'd put the spool in and see how it handles, if you lose bite then add rear droop and you should be fine
Thanks for that info, I was planning on getting a spool lock aswell!!
I never adjust the ackerman, I should learn to ajdust it....
jscamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:51 PM   #11777
Tech Champion
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscamry View Post
Thanks for that info, I was planning on getting a spool lock aswell!!
I never adjust the ackerman, I should learn to ajdust it....
the ackerman plates on the newer cars are great, to switch between spool and 1 way you pretty much just change the plate and your car steers the same

Yeah Roy if you have oversteer on turn in that suggests your rear droop is a bit high so the spool should go fine. Personally, and this might just be the setup I run, I haven't found much difference in my cars steering between the 1 way and the spool. I do notice the brakes tho
__________________
www.facebook.com/mcpheerc
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:16 AM   #11778
Tech Master
 
Rapid Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: L.A. (Rowland Hts)
Posts: 1,531
Default

Spool is in, car is set up, cleaned up. Electronics are charging and I'm ready to race tomorow. HPI challenge is next week so tomorow is my warm up. I'll have the R40 and the Micro RS4 running. I'm going to be running rubber tire getting ready for next week. I already have a good setup for foam.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #11779
Tech Elite
 
fastharry™'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Posts: 2,846
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
the ackerman plates on the newer cars are great, to switch between spool and 1 way you pretty much just change the plate and your car steers the same

Yeah Roy if you have oversteer on turn in that suggests your rear droop is a bit high so the spool should go fine. Personally, and this might just be the setup I run, I haven't found much difference in my cars steering between the 1 way and the spool. I do notice the brakes tho


what new plate is this?..
__________________
www.fastharry.com---search "fastharry" on facebook
See Fastharry in Super Nitro racing at the HPI CHALLENGE...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzo-cBEnE0c
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:03 AM   #11780
Tech Master
 
Rapid Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: L.A. (Rowland Hts)
Posts: 1,531
Default

Okay, results for today's racing. 1st place A main for R40, 4th place Micro. R40 was hooked up. Ended up using HPI 33r's (rubber) with red inserts and the Escudo body to get ready for the challenge race next Sunday. I got lucky though. I was down 2 laps to Derik Butterfield with his Super Nitro before he ran out of fuel. He had thrown a belt on his R40 in the second heat and we all agreed he could run the super in the main. I lost an insert when one of my front tires let go in the same heat. Its been a long time since I have glued up a set of tires. I didn't do such a hot job. Had a few small issues in the main. My clutch seemed to soften up as the day went on. This didn't happen last week. I need to tear it down and have a look. I'll probably go back to the Mugen Grey from the stock HPI clutch shoe. Next, The 2 speed stopped shifting 3/4 through the main. No idea why, but the track wasn't too long, so not too bad. My car developed tweak as it would drift right on hard acceleration. I haven't really looked to see what caused these things. Just gotta tear it down and check it out this week. With all those things, I managed to run 21 laps. Thats 1 more lap then last month and a new personal best. (the track layout was the same too) I didn't have a chance to take pictures with my new camera (christmas present from the wifey) but I'll take lots at the challenge this Sunday and post them here.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:15 AM   #11781
Tech Master
 
Rapid Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: L.A. (Rowland Hts)
Posts: 1,531
Default

So Cal HPI challenge race this Sunday. Only 4 days!

Rubber tire = good. Same setup as foam.
Front spool = extra good.

Now I just need to do somthing about my front sway bar mount. I can't seem to get it even left to right. I think I need to enlarge one of the mounting holes on the non adjustable side so I can get the suspension flat. I think this is what was causing my car to pull on acceleration.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:19 AM   #11782
Tech Addict
 
jscamry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Oviedo,FL
Posts: 507
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jscamry Send a message via MSN to jscamry Send a message via Yahoo to jscamry Send a message via Skype™ to jscamry
Default

Good luck on the race, let us know how you do!!!



Thanks Jason.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Roy View Post
So Cal HPI challenge race this Sunday. Only 4 days!

Rubber tire = good. Same setup as foam.
Front spool = extra good.

Now I just need to do somthing about my front sway bar mount. I can't seem to get it even left to right. I think I need to enlarge one of the mounting holes on the non adjustable side so I can get the suspension flat. I think this is what was causing my car to pull on acceleration.
jscamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:50 AM   #11783
Tech Master
 
Rapid Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: L.A. (Rowland Hts)
Posts: 1,531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscamry View Post
Good luck on the race, let us know how you do!!!



Thanks Jason.
I had a long super fun day of racing. I ran the same R40 in sportsman and pro nitro. Thats 4 qualifiers and 2 mains. Ended up in 5th place pro, and 3rd place sportsman. The car ran flawlessly all day. I beat it up pretty bad too. No broken parts. Ended up running rubber tire for both classes. I tried foams durring a 30 min break before the mains, but not enough traction. 33r's with red inserts were the way to go. I got all the problems sorted out except the pulling durring acceleration. I still think the front sway bar is causing me the grief. I didn't have enough time to get it figured out before the race, so I just lived with it. It almost helped since it wanted to pull right and there was a right hand sweeper going into the long straight so I could really gas it.

I also relearned a painful lesson about running rubber tire. If you high side, do NOT yank the throttle trying to get your car off the barrier. Doing so will cause the tire to baloon and you will throw an insert and blow the tire off the rim. I did this in the pro main. I pulled the car off, put 2 new tires on, kept racing and managed 5th place (10 min race). 10 minutes is a long time. I'm used to 5 minutes only. Lost focus and hit lots of stuff.

Check out the HPI site. I got my picture there. They even posted a picture of my car in the sportsman main. It's the one on 2 wheels. I switched from the escudo body to the stratus because I had done so badly in the pro main just 3 heats before.

Hope all you R40 owners go to your regional HPI Challenge race.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:54 AM   #11784
Tech Addict
 
jscamry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Oviedo,FL
Posts: 507
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jscamry Send a message via MSN to jscamry Send a message via Yahoo to jscamry Send a message via Skype™ to jscamry
Default

Where are the picures on the HPI site, I must be overlooking them!

~jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Roy View Post
I had a long super fun day of racing. I ran the same R40 in sportsman and pro nitro. Thats 4 qualifiers and 2 mains. Ended up in 5th place pro, and 3rd place sportsman. The car ran flawlessly all day. I beat it up pretty bad too. No broken parts. Ended up running rubber tire for both classes. I tried foams durring a 30 min break before the mains, but not enough traction. 33r's with red inserts were the way to go. I got all the problems sorted out except the pulling durring acceleration. I still think the front sway bar is causing me the grief. I didn't have enough time to get it figured out before the race, so I just lived with it. It almost helped since it wanted to pull right and there was a right hand sweeper going into the long straight so I could really gas it.

I also relearned a painful lesson about running rubber tire. If you high side, do NOT yank the throttle trying to get your car off the barrier. Doing so will cause the tire to baloon and you will throw an insert and blow the tire off the rim. I did this in the pro main. I pulled the car off, put 2 new tires on, kept racing and managed 5th place (10 min race). 10 minutes is a long time. I'm used to 5 minutes only. Lost focus and hit lots of stuff.

Check out the HPI site. I got my picture there. They even posted a picture of my car in the sportsman main. It's the one on 2 wheels. I switched from the escudo body to the stratus because I had done so badly in the pro main just 3 heats before.

Hope all you R40 owners go to your regional HPI Challenge race.
jscamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:24 AM   #11785
Tech Master
 
Rapid Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: L.A. (Rowland Hts)
Posts: 1,531
Default

Here is the link

http://hpiracing.com/news/2008010301/

Pictures.

Thats me on the drivers stand at the far left.



3rd place




2 wheeling in the sport main




Escudo in Nitro pro.



Heavy damage to the body, but no broken parts. Gotta drive cleaner!
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:32 AM   #11786
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Hollywood
Posts: 355
Default R40 for sale

Hey guys how is everyone. I'm selling my R40 check out my listing on EBay thanks...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:L:LCA:US:1123
00VIP001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:27 AM   #11787
Tech Master
 
Rapid Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: L.A. (Rowland Hts)
Posts: 1,531
Default

Okay guys, I got to talk to some of the HPI guys about the possibility of a new "race" level 200mm car. The answer I got was that HPI/HB would follow the trends in RC and that eventually there would be a new gas touring car by Hot Bodies since HPI is doing the sport/bashing level cars and trucks. So, is HPI out of gas touring? No, but who knows when there will be a new car released. I just know that I'll be racing my R40's this year. We'll see what happens next year. Who knows, if the challenge series keeps going, I may keep running HPI.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:23 PM   #11788
Tech Addict
 
jscamry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Oviedo,FL
Posts: 507
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jscamry Send a message via MSN to jscamry Send a message via Yahoo to jscamry Send a message via Skype™ to jscamry
Default

Quick question for you racers. When do should one replace thier arms on thier cars? The reason that I ask is because I have a few arms that when I adjust my pivot balls they are pretty easy to turn, does this mean that my arms are just to worn out? Also are most of you running the stock clutch on your car, if so when should I replace the thrust bearings and rention spring(the one that is tighten) and finally the two other teflon composite pieces 87094 and 87096- when is a good tell-tell sign that these need to be replaced?

Thanks Jason
jscamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:40 AM   #11789
Tech Master
 
Rapid Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: L.A. (Rowland Hts)
Posts: 1,531
Default

If the pivot balls are loose in the arms, then its time to replace the arms. I have never had that happen to me. A hard crash could enlarge the hole and make this happen though. With the clutch, your thrust bearing should be cleaned and regreased every race day. The spring shouldn't need to be replaced unless you are having problems with clutch engagement. Same with the clutch shoe. This is the part that actually contacts the clutch bell. The other parts inside are the clutch weights and dont usually wear.

Some really serious racers replace the thrust bearings every race and have a set schedule for clutch shoe replacement. This type of maintenance is required more on high traction tracks with high powered engines along with 20 min or longer mains. What is it like at your races?
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:23 PM   #11790
Tech Addict
 
jscamry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Oviedo,FL
Posts: 507
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jscamry Send a message via MSN to jscamry Send a message via Yahoo to jscamry Send a message via Skype™ to jscamry
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Roy View Post
If the pivot balls are loose in the arms, then its time to replace the arms. I have never had that happen to me. A hard crash could enlarge the hole and make this happen though. With the clutch, your thrust bearing should be cleaned and regreased every race day. The spring shouldn't need to be replaced unless you are having problems with clutch engagement. Same with the clutch shoe. This is the part that actually contacts the clutch bell. The other parts inside are the clutch weights and dont usually wear.

Some really serious racers replace the thrust bearings every race and have a set schedule for clutch shoe replacement. This type of maintenance is required more on high traction tracks with high powered engines along with 20 min or longer mains. What is it like at your races?
Thanks for the info, at my local track for club racing. We race once a month, but I plan if time permits I plan to do some traveling and get some more racing under my belt. Our track is sprayed with a VHT type of compound.
I am sure as to my specs of my track size. It changes from month to month.
as my next race I will tak some pics!!!
jscamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New on Nitro and this forum Emaxx rider Rookie Zone 8 02-06-2008 07:21 AM
HPI Nitro MT 2 Forum Tom P Electric Off-Road 5 07-19-2004 06:26 PM
New Nitro R/C Forum Dantherc10man Web Links 0 08-09-2003 07:39 AM
Nitro car forum Rose Money Singapore R/C Racers 47 07-04-2002 08:49 PM
Nitro Forum ART2 Singapore R/C Racers 41 05-16-2002 10:51 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:48 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net