R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-19-2008, 02:29 PM   #11731
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosko View Post
anyone know if hotbodies is planning on making a 1/10th scale nitro tourer. would be nice r40 is a little dated compared to the others.
and you would based this on what information??

If you notice, the design of the R40 (in all its versions) is the same style that's being used by mugen, xray and team magic? so why would you need to release a new tourer??

If you've read thru this thread, there are numerous posts where guys (like Harry, or Roy) are telling you what you need to "update" the box-built R40 to J-spec or Hara 2005 version...

so what makes you think you need a new tourer?

Also, if you notice, with the exception of the xray (and that's because its new, and you could add in mugen, but each new one of theirs in a new chassis) - nitro cars don't go thru crazy revisions like their electric counterparts...
Old 01-19-2008, 06:05 PM   #11732
Tech Adept

Thumbs down

in my opinion as well, i think the car really isnt that "dated" compared to the other cars as far as standard features - its just not as "pretty". i actually got the thing after reading about past "challenges" in anticipation of participating because they were one of the few manufactures doing such a thing and their cars were easy to aquire and get parts for at the LHS's instead of on-line. but it just stopped.

their on-road nitro cars were at one point the most common onroad vehicle at amatuer/newbie HobbyTown parking lot races besides the NTC3 in my area, how could they fault lack of money for a reason?
nitrothugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:29 PM   #11733
Tech Master

when i say outdated i dont mean you cant be fast or compete with it, but its not as easy to work on as the others. it wouldnt hurt to have things more accessable and easier to work on
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:38 PM   #11734
Tech Master

example the hpi pro 4 is a really good car but now it is a bit dated compared to the cyclone. pro 4 used to be the high end car for hpi then they started hot bodies line which is more for serious competition so i would like to see a nitro tourer from hotbodies more for serious racing. everyone is not a hara and the r40 is not a good as mugens, xrays or kyosho.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:54 AM   #11735
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to ProE Send a message via Skype™ to ProE

Quote:
hara and the r40 is not a good as mugens, xrays or kyosho
That is not true. I've had a R40 Hara myself. Now I've got a MTX-4R. If the cars is set up correctly they are both fast. My lap times with the R40 and the MTX-4R are very similar. It is also easier to work on the R40. Try changing a front belt on the R40 and then do the same on a MTX-4 or V1-RRR. For these two cars, You almost have to strip the whole front of the car to get the belts out.

The only problem for the R40 now is parts supply as this car has been discontinued.
ProE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:59 AM   #11736
Tech Champion

Quote:
when i say outdated i dont mean you cant be fast or compete with it, but its not as easy to work on as the others. it wouldnt hurt to have things more accessable and easier to work on
See you are still wrong - and you're entitled, since its your uneducated opinion...It is very easy to work on - actually much easier than some of the mugens I've seen...

The R40 shares a good bunch of the same layout as the xray, kyosho and mugen...and if you're comparing they one vs another for ease of maintenance, then they all must be difficult since there is not much variation between the chassis...about the only cars that don't follow this "standard" layout are the shaft tourers like the NTC3, Kyosho and Tamiya Shaft Cars...

most of all the belt tourers are ALL the same style - 3 belts, tank in the middle, pipe on the drives side, servos on the passenger side...The R40 actually has a laydown steering servo, which (I think) one or 2 don't have
Old 01-20-2008, 08:10 AM   #11737
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProE View Post
That is not true. I've had a R40 Hara myself. Now I've got a MTX-4R. If the cars is set up correctly they are both fast. My lap times with the R40 and the MTX-4R are very similar. It is also easier to work on the R40. Try changing a front belt on the R40 and then do the same on a MTX-4 or V1-RRR. For these two cars, You almost have to strip the whole front of the car to get the belts out.

The only problem for the R40 now is parts supply as this car has been discontinued.
I totally agree with you, If the car is set up right, it can be fast n stable! I have been using R40 and very happy with it!
Old 01-20-2008, 10:43 AM   #11738
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
example the hpi pro 4 is a really good car but now it is a bit dated compared to the cyclone. pro 4 used to be the high end car for hpi then they started hot bodies line which is more for serious competition so i would like to see a nitro tourer from hotbodies more for serious racing. everyone is not a hara and the r40 is not a good as mugens, xrays or kyosho.

Out of 12 guys running consistantly in nanuet NY this past year....ALL with 07 xrays and a couple of TC 5's......My pro 4 was never off by a couple tenths of a second of the fastest x rays there.......

I would put the pro 4 up against anything running today...and I can't wait to beat the 08 xrays...........

It was way faster than the tc5's....( which, BTW, is MORE outdated than the PRO4.......)

My r40 is still fast compared to the new touring cars......and is easier to tear down than a 720.........
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:42 AM   #11739
Tech Master

well if the r 40 is discontinued then like i said its time for something new hopefully from hot bodies and like i also said a didnt say u couldnt be competitive with the r 40. also when i say the other cars are easier to work on thats just my opinion. and as far as the pro 4 well im pretty sure your not running it in sedan modified against the belt sedans big difference, im not talking about the handling of the pro4 because i do think it can out handle most but more so the shaft which is pretty rough when your running a 3.5 or 4.5
Old 01-20-2008, 12:54 PM   #11740
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
well if the r 40 is discontinued then like i said its time for something new hopefully from hot bodies and like i also said a didnt say u couldnt be competitive with the r 40. also when i say the other cars are easier to work on thats just my opinion. and as far as the pro 4 well im pretty sure your not running it in sedan modified against the belt sedans big difference, im not talking about the handling of the pro4 because i do think it can out handle most but more so the shaft which is pretty rough when your running a 3.5 or 4.5

my pro 4 is running a 4.5 novak and orion 4800 lipo.....all the other cars were running the same, some x rays were running 3.5's and those 5000 mah gold packs.....

here is a telephone shot video of some practicing sessions.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfWGpmY5kDc

Ray Murray, in south jersey, was nice enough to sponsor the oct 06 HPI unofficial challenge....

All brands of cars were invited, and a lot of guys showed up from raceway 301 in MD, as well as the east coast in general.....there were 25 modified electric cars....

I qualified 8th, and finished 4th in the a main.........my friends pro 4 finished 3rd....

unless x ray is using some magic slovakian HOO DOO in the 08's.....My pro 4 will be just as fast in the upcoming 08 season.....
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #11741
Tech Master

i really like hot bodies/ hpi products i have a cyclone , cyclone 12 and wanting to get back into nitro. i had a mugen mtx4 and an nt1 im wanting hotbodies or hpi to come out with a new car because i prefer to have a car thats not discontinued to invest money in. so if a car is discontinued then to me its outdated time for something new. i like the fact that hpi/hb keep cars around for a while which makes for a good investment you definitely get your moneys worth out of them but come on its time.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:46 PM   #11742
Tech Master

k_bojar if you think they are all the same because they all have three belts tank in the middle and a pipe on the side then wow you dont know as much as you think you do. lot more to it than that. you might want to stick to parkin lot bashin
Old 01-20-2008, 04:58 PM   #11743
Tech Master

Quote:
You keep saying that the R40 is discontinued. This is not true. HPI lists the R40 Hara version as a current kit. The older original version has been moved to the discontinued kit list.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:21 PM   #11744
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Roy View Post
You keep saying that the R40 is discontinued. This is not true. HPI lists the R40 Hara version as a current kit. The older original version has been moved to the discontinued kit list.

they may be going off of what Tower has as "discontinued"
nitrothugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:17 PM   #11745
Tech Champion

Quote:
k_bojar if you think they are all the same because they all have three belts tank in the middle and a pipe on the side then wow you dont know as much as you think you do. lot more to it than that. you might want to stick to parkin lot bashin
ok - obiviously you missed my sarcasm...and yes, I've been doing this a VERY LONG time with just about all of it running on a track, so I'm not a basher by any sense of the imagination...so, tell me what is so magically different between the mugens/nt1 and the R40???

what you are missing in my comment is that ALL THE BELT CARS SHARE 85% of the same chassis design/layout...there is nothing radically different between my R40 and the NT1 when you look at them - other than my obiviously purple vs the copper of the spring steel...and hell, look at the latest batch of electric TCs - they are all based off the design of the TRF415

you tell me what's so magically different with your NT1?? nothing...and I was just looking at an advertisement that was saying XRAY is not doing ANYTHING new for their nitro TC for 2008...well, other than including a free set of spring steel CVDs in the kit - nothing is being updated/redesigned...So i guess in your terms, that means the NT1 is being outdated ??

Yes, I would perfer HPI/HB release a TC with part support, not something that might run out in a year or 2...But either way, HPI most likely have such a large parts supply, that you got at least 1 maybe 2 years before parts are VERY scarce...You really need to worry when 3Racing stops selling R40 stuff - then you know the car is done