R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-03-2008, 07:41 PM   #11716
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to regg151 Send a message via AIM to regg151 Send a message via Yahoo to regg151

well my R40 is still in race trim and hasn't been packed in moth balls just yet but HPI may just be too little too late with the reemergence of the challenge.

Guess time will tell if it comes to NY I will probably sign up if they run the savages on dirt I'll deffinitly sign up
regg151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:56 AM   #11717
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastharry View Post
I was thinking of going x ray or serpent this year for nitro, and electric, but at this point, I will not...

I am racing HPI again this year, with every intention of winning the challenges.......

personally, since I have never stopped racing them, and am uber familiar with them, not to mention tuning them, I think I have a good shot....
Same with me, although I've been absent last year from racing. I was looking over the racing classes and have been think about running my racer2 in the vintage class and running my 2nd R40 in rubber tire. Have you ever tried running the HPI Vintage rubber before? I'm wondering if it will have any grip. I always wanted to get the Cuda body.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:49 PM   #11718
Tech Adept

who has the best starter box for the r40
LORD SHADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:20 PM   #11719
Tech Master

I have an Ofna box with the single large motor and gel cell. It's heavy, but I think its much better then the 2 motor 2 stick pack type that I had before. The Ofna has so much more torque and the gel cell lasts all day for multiple cars. With the stick packs, one car with engine trouble would kill the batteries.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:16 PM   #11720
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The team magic box is great, and stylish too.
nitro ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:12 PM   #11721
Tech Master

Okay guys, I'm getting ready to mount up the Escudo body for the HPI challenge and have a question about the front winglets. I have heard that they like to pop off. Do you think it would be a good idea to attach using a pop rivet of a plastic screw? Would doing so increase the chance of tearing the body too much in collision with the boards? Do they really increase front downforce significantly?
Old 01-10-2008, 07:05 AM   #11722
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Roy View Post
Okay guys, I'm getting ready to mount up the Escudo body for the HPI challenge and have a question about the front winglets. I have heard that they like to pop off. Do you think it would be a good idea to attach using a pop rivet of a plastic screw? Would doing so increase the chance of tearing the body too much in collision with the boards? Do they really increase front downforce significantly?

they look cool, they don't do crap, they will fall off if you just use tape, and while they are on they will not rip the body further.....
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:33 PM   #11723
Tech Master

Thanks fastharry! I'm just about done converting my car to from 2004 J-spec to 2005 Hara. How did you mount the aaa battery pack? I'm thinkin about just servo taping it down to the chassis, but it sticks out over the edge of the chassis towards the pipe. I'm thinking that the pipe will protect it from impact. I think I'm going to mount the receiver on what is supposed to be the battery plate and wrap it in a balloon to protect it from fuel spills. Where did you put yours?
Old 01-10-2008, 06:24 PM   #11724
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks fastharry! I'm just about done converting my car to from 2004 J-spec to 2005 Hara. How did you mount the aaa battery pack? I'm thinkin about just servo taping it down to the chassis, but it sticks out over the edge of the chassis towards the pipe. I'm thinking that the pipe will protect it from impact. I think I'm going to mount the receiver on what is supposed to be the battery plate and wrap it in a balloon to protect it from fuel spills. Where did you put yours?
the manual says to use double sided tape for the battery. Personally i never had any issues with it getting hit, but the receiver did cop it a few times stuck under the tray on the opposite side so i moved it on top of the battery. It does cop the fuel there though so a balloon is a must.

you guys may get a kick out of this, hara and surikarn are coming out to Oz for an invitation mod meet and we're running nitro the day before, rumour has it they might break out for nitro too. my fingers are crossed

Good luck in the HPI series boys. The R40 is certainly still on the pace, as a point of reference, since I've gone mugen I'm only .2-.5 seconds/lap quicker on my home track which is high traction (VHT), and thats with a quicker engine and more experience setting up and driving the track. The main difference is the reliability, I've not replaced anything. 6 months on and I've still got all the original bearings
Old 01-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #11725
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:

I threw a trinity 3x2 hump pack in....2 cells up, zip tied it with Horizon metal clasp zip ties( you can get a pack in home depot for 12 bucks, better deal)...

And never looked back.......it NEVER came loose, I NEVER had fuel spillage issues, and I learned sometimes the obvious idea works better than the researched one...

also, I used a spektrum micro reciever....mounted it in place with double side tape....no balloon.......no issues...
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:13 PM   #11726
Tech Adept

Thumbs down a little too late?

for a few years we were begging for some sort of challange from HPI now in '08 they are looking to hold a number of events. why did it take them this long to get the message. they just s&%[email protected]* on us and ignored our cry for them to just do something especially when the R40 was somewhat relevent. its funny, this thread is now a spot to try and get rid of the thing.

maybe this topic has already been discussed here and i'm sorry if i'm flaming.

my only question to who ever may be in the know is "why now?"
nitrothugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:30 AM   #11727
Tech Apprentice

I am sorry if I am also flaming but for me this challenge is also too little too late ...the horse has already bolted. It also feels too much like a form of desperation, i.e. show the on-road people we care even though 90% of our efforts and advertising budget is firmly dedicated to offroad vehicles. Until HPI or Hot Bodies announces a new car (heck ...even if they just said "we are considering developing a new onroad racer"), I will stay a spectator at HPI events and a Mugen driver at serious events. But since I love racing, I might just give my old RS4 a run. What I will not do though, is buy a full blown racer that's seemingly only good for club and HPI events. If it was good for anything else, the results would tell the tale ...

Just venting ....I hope it's not interpreted as flamin ....

SAMWA M11

"Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?"
-Robert Browning
johnypiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:21 AM   #11728
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastharry View Post
I threw a trinity 3x2 hump pack in....2 cells up, zip tied it with Horizon metal clasp zip ties( you can get a pack in home depot for 12 bucks, better deal)...

And never looked back.......it NEVER came loose, I NEVER had fuel spillage issues, and I learned sometimes the obvious idea works better than the researched one...

also, I used a spektrum micro reciever....mounted it in place with double side tape....no balloon.......no issues...
I ended up mounting the battery (3x2 hump) 3 cells up onto the battery plate with 3M double sided tape, then zip tied it to make sure. I used an one extra nut as a spacer to lower the plate and the bottom of the battery sat just above the chassis. Then I mounted the receiver sideways on top of the battery plate with servo tape. Then I cut down the stock receiver box and slid it over the receiver to protect it. I worked great for the 1st race day. I might do somthing different, I'm not convinced that it will stay put in a hard collision.

The car ran flawlessly in the race though. I managed to run 18 laps in both qualifiers and the main after a one year layoff. It was good enough for a 2nd place finish though. I did have to swap the rear diff out and go back the the 2 gear and no diff oil at all because the traction was so low. I even had to run rubber tires. They worked much better then foams. The only change I made to my setup was to raise the ride height to 6.5 mm and increase the front droop a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrothugg View Post
for a few years we were begging for some sort of challange from HPI now in '08 they are looking to hold a number of events. why did it take them this long to get the message. they just s&%[email protected]* on us and ignored our cry for them to just do something especially when the R40 was somewhat relevent. its funny, this thread is now a spot to try and get rid of the thing.

maybe this topic has already been discussed here and i'm sorry if i'm flaming.

my only question to who ever may be in the know is "why now?"
The word from HPI about this was that the series was canceled becaue there wasn't any money for them. I'm guessing that the pro4 and the R40 didn't go over very well and the off road stuff hadn't gotten really big yet. I'm just happy that they are doing somthing now. Maybe pairing up with Hot Bodies is allowing this to happen. I'm not really holding my breath for a new nitro car, but I'm just going to run my r40 this year and see what happens.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:23 AM   #11729
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)
Send a message via ICQ to surreal Send a message via AIM to surreal

really trying to rid myself of a lot of r40 parts.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=197303

Now going for $60
Old 01-19-2008, 02:16 PM   #11730
Tech Master

anyone know if hotbodies is planning on making a 1/10th scale nitro tourer. would be nice r40 is a little dated compared to the others.
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote