R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-10-2007, 03:49 PM   #11581
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

hey guys...not sure if this has been asked before (sorry if it has), but...

has anyone tried using the "HPI Rear Solid Axel" in the front of their cars?? I'm debating about trying a solid spool in the front and was looking for alternatives to a one way...I'm thinking the new track by me can "handle" a oneway, but if not, a spool would/could work
Old 07-10-2007, 04:28 PM   #11582
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
hey guys...not sure if this has been asked before (sorry if it has), but...

has anyone tried using the "HPI Rear Solid Axel" in the front of their cars?? I'm debating about trying a solid spool in the front and was looking for alternatives to a one way...I'm thinking the new track by me can "handle" a oneway, but if not, a spool would/could work
Yes the plug works in the front diff. You just need to adjust your suspension for a bit more turn in
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:42 AM   #11583
Tech Apprentice

Default gearing

Hi just bought an R40 and I am using an STS D3R engine on it. The car is still with its stock gearing and it's not the Hara edition.

The track i am racing on, it has a short straight with technical corners. It is not a flowing track.

What I am seeing is that the car is suffering from acceleration and it picks late, I think i am geared high. What gearing do you suggest please? In all the car is handling excilent. Engine and clutch are tuned well.

Joe F
Joe Tanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:02 PM   #11584
Tech Master

try dropping a tooth on both pinions unless you are topping out on the back straight. If you are, go lower on only the 1st gear pinion. You can also try leaning out your low end needle and richening up the high just a bit.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:19 PM   #11585
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Tanto View Post
Hi just bought an R40 and I am using an STS D3R engine on it. The car is still with its stock gearing and it's not the Hara edition.

The track i am racing on, it has a short straight with technical corners. It is not a flowing track.

What I am seeing is that the car is suffering from acceleration and it picks late, I think i am geared high. What gearing do you suggest please? In all the car is handling excilent. Engine and clutch are tuned well.

Joe F
It's probably more the tune than your gearing, even with stock gearing you should have enough snap to light up all 4 wheels out of a corner. Are you using the stock clutch? If you're running on that track all the time you should consider a pipe tuned for more torque down low. I've never used that engine so can't really recommend one sorry

In other news, I recently tried the kyosho clutch trick on my r40 and it worked a treat. They shim the clutch bell .4mm out from the shoe and then run with very little endplay (.1mm). My clutch take up is progressive but strong and works a treat on all the tracks I race on

Has anyone used sealed bearings in their r40s? I picked up a set but they seem to drag a lot more than the standard bearings so I think I'll just use them for the thinner bearings on the diff outdrives and uprights
Old 07-17-2007, 10:46 PM   #11586
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
It's probably more the tune than your gearing, even with stock gearing you should have enough snap to light up all 4 wheels out of a corner. Are you using the stock clutch? If you're running on that track all the time you should consider a pipe tuned for more torque down low. I've never used that engine so can't really recommend one sorry

In other news, I recently tried the kyosho clutch trick on my r40 and it worked a treat. They shim the clutch bell .4mm out from the shoe and then run with very little endplay (.1mm). My clutch take up is progressive but strong and works a treat on all the tracks I race on

Has anyone used sealed bearings in their r40s? I picked up a set but they seem to drag a lot more than the standard bearings so I think I'll just use them for the thinner bearings on the diff outdrives and uprights

and which Kyosho clutch trick would that be?....
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:00 AM   #11587
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastharry View Post
and which Kyosho clutch trick would that be?....
the one i explained? you shim the whole clutch bell out from the shoe/flywheel assembly, so you place shims on the crank before the large (b023) bearing. Mine took 0.2mm of shims before the shoe would spin freely with the car standing on its side (so gravity pulling the bell down), then I added a further 0.4mm. Following this i placed the bell on with the flange and thrust, and then added .1mm shims until the assembly no longer spun freely, then removed the last shim i put on to give an endplay of 0.1mm. This would trick would probably save you from cutting down the flywheel pins too, provided they didnt stick out by more than .4mm. Anyway my clutch is great now, I went back to the HPI spring and still using the mugen grey shoe
Old 07-18-2007, 07:32 AM   #11588
Tech Elite

Quote:
the one i explained? you shim the whole clutch bell out from the shoe/flywheel assembly, so you place shims on the crank before the large (b023) bearing. Mine took 0.2mm of shims before the shoe would spin freely with the car standing on its side (so gravity pulling the bell down), then I added a further 0.4mm. Following this i placed the bell on with the flange and thrust, and then added .1mm shims until the assembly no longer spun freely, then removed the last shim i put on to give an endplay of 0.1mm. This would trick would probably save you from cutting down the flywheel pins too, provided they didnt stick out by more than .4mm. Anyway my clutch is great now, I went back to the HPI spring and still using the mugen grey shoe
and where are you putting these shims?...
Old 07-18-2007, 05:11 PM   #11589
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastharry View Post
and where are you putting these shims?...
between the thrust and the collar thing, the normal way you shim endplay

this probably explains it better... I put the inner shims on the other side of the B023 bearing seeing as the r40 only has a 2 bearing clutch
Attached Thumbnails
HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-how-set-clutch-up.jpg  
Old 07-24-2007, 01:34 AM   #11590
Tech Rookie

Quote:
between the thrust and the collar thing, the normal way you shim endplay

this probably explains it better... I put the inner shims on the other side of the B023 bearing seeing as the r40 only has a 2 bearing clutch
i have breaking a few bearing a few times. I think i will try to follow your instruction to place the shim.

Btw, how come you got two bearings closer to the flywheel in your diagram?

also, do you guys have problem with those 4 poles coming out from the flywheel? I do......
coolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:01 AM   #11591
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Just a question 1. How is the durability of the R40 some say that it is fragile. 2. Also is this car still competitive with the 720,s ,mTX-4,NT1 Xray Now I know with Hara driving it probally is but I'am talking about the average driver thats staying off the walls and being somewhat consistent...any replys would help...... And I know that , I ask 2 questions
Old 07-24-2007, 02:52 PM   #11592
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i cant say about the second part of your question....but as for fragile LOL i crush my hara maybe 5 times till now (2 of the super hard the car whent 4 meters of the air LOL)and still nothing is broken i mean realy i cant bealeve it :P
and even if something brakes its easy to fix ,most of the time with simble glue
stefanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:59 PM   #11593
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to regg151 Send a message via AIM to regg151 Send a message via Yahoo to regg151

ok Q 1 In my Opinion the car is not fragile at all it can take a few hits before something fails. the one part I find to be the weakest link are the steering knuckles after a few hits they will crack and pop off the pivot balls while you can pop them back on they will pop off again with just about any hit to the front end. other wise the car is pretty solid. then again you hit anything hard enough it will break sooner or later

Q 2 as for being competative I still compete with mine and i'm nowhere near pro level just a few steps above rank amatuer and I can keep up with the mugens and the serpents and even the new xray nt1. granted a better driver could do much better with the R40 then me but every so often I get asked what car is that and I still get a kick out of the surprised reactions when I tell them it's a R40.

so far the only mods I 've done so far is the carbon fiber shock towers, CVD's up front, light weight 2 speed and hollow shafts, carbon fiber upper bumper plate and carbon fiber steering plate and an aluminum rear brace and brake arm, and it the original R40 not the hara edition still with the stock plastic shocks and black springs.
regg151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:28 AM   #11594
Tech Elite

after those glowing reviews(and i love mine also),remember I have a brand new in box hara r40 I won at the HPI challenge in oct......FOR SALE

PM me..
Old 07-26-2007, 03:49 AM   #11595
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

lol still fastharry? :PP if you ship to greece i might ask a friend :P
stefanos is offline   Reply With Quote