Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 01:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ProE
Sorry CraigM. I misunderstood your question. I thought you were talking about the interchange ability of gears on the R40 alone.

The mugen gears are not the same as the R40 and will not work on the R40. Maybe with a couple off modifications.
stuff it I'll hit the LHS - need one for this weekend. In other news, I'm thinking of upgrading (sidegrading?) to a 720 '07... really in love with these cars and feel like building another kit, but plan to keep the r40 as a spare - god knows I need one the way I drive
Old 06-04-2007, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrodude
The PDF set up sheet on the HPI site, I tried 2 PCs and it wont open it, some error.

got it.....but which one?..the blank one,hara's,or thad garners....
Old 06-04-2007, 06:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

blank one.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nitrodude
blank one.

Pm me your email.....

BTW,did you buy one of my r40's?....(my memory is shot at 52..)
Old 06-04-2007, 09:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What's up Harry?

So since I haven't been keeping an eye on the R40 (ran for Kyosho) what has changed?
Old 06-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

FastHarry, YGPM
Old 06-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by fastharry
well,if it doesn't weigh this,its all show and no go......

Hey Harry, how do I get my r40 this light? any tips?

nice video in your sig btw, looks like a bit of a hack-fest in your mates race
Old 06-09-2007, 06:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jea3
What's up Harry?

So since I haven't been keeping an eye on the R40 (ran for Kyosho) what has changed?

hi Joe.....

all the same...HPI has no support....they've turned from racing into toys for truck events...I still find the r40 to be a decent car.....it stays with the 720's I race against..in fact,with the cost of all the new cars and replacement parts,one of the guys we race with has actually sold his 710,and instead of upgrading to a 720,is going to run his old r40....(based on the fact of My car staying with his in every race,and he has driven my car and loves it)...and to be honest,unless you are racing on a dedicated treated racettrack,the r40 is still a great car...at the unofficial HPI challenge in oct,we had an open touring car field...every make and model.....and not just HPI guys....racers running Mugens,serpents,racers from 301 raceway in MD....the r40 was in the amain with every other car.....and the top guy running a Mugen,would have put the r40 into the same spot...for parking lot tracks,the car is more than enough.....parts are cheap,it's easy to work on....and I'll tell you what...look closely at all the new cars coming out....things the R40 had in 2003,you're seeing on the new cars.....

anyway,hope all is well with you...shoot me a PM if you like.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Starting problems

I read that klanderman put a OS .18 in his r40, so i put an 18TZ in mine

Im pretty new to RC cars and i think i got in a little over my head with such an advanced kit. My friends bought me the kit so i just kind of went with it.
Ive got everything built but im having problems starting the motor. Any tips for bump starting the motor? i have the Duratrax universal starter box and an OS 18TZ motor (i know its not 'legal' but i just want to have fun)
if someone could help me out with getting it started i would appreciate it. thanks.
Attached Thumbnails HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-r40namir.jpg  
Old 06-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Namir
I read that klanderman put a OS .18 in his r40, so i put an 18TZ in mine

Im pretty new to RC cars and i think i got in a little over my head with such an advanced kit. My friends bought me the kit so i just kind of went with it.
Ive got everything built but im having problems starting the motor. Any tips for bump starting the motor? i have the Duratrax universal starter box and an OS 18TZ motor (i know its not 'legal' but i just want to have fun)
if someone could help me out with getting it started i would appreciate it. thanks.
What kind of problems are you having? Try and be specific so we can help.

Also the R40 should be fine for a newer RC'r. Just take your time building it. The plastic spacers should get your settings just about right.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:57 AM
Tech Rookie

When i bump start the motor it sounds like its running while its on the box (there is some exhaust) but the second i take it off, it dies. Its not staying running. Is there anyway to check to make sure the engine is getting fuel?
I followed the manual's suggested settings for the needles but im still having problems. The glow plug glows when i take it out and energize it so im assuming its still good.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

When i bump start the motor it sounds like its running while its on the box (there is some exhaust) but the second i take it off, it dies. Its not staying running. Is there anyway to check to make sure the engine is getting fuel?
I followed the manual's suggested settings for the needles but im still having problems. The glow plug glows when i take it out and energize it so im assuming its still good.

namir,I can tell you one thing I did as a beginner.....I kept pushing down on the car so the wheel was turning the engine,but it could never rev.....try bumping the car,and give it some throttle while you are doing it,and then lift it off......
Old 06-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Tech Champion

It sounds like it's not firing at all - assuming when you say "the second i take it off, it dies" you mean once the starter wheel is no longer spinning the flywheel? make sure you've primed the carbie by turning the motor over for a few seconds without the ignitor attached (you can also block the exhaust and turn it over for a few seconds) then try start it. If it still doesn't fire remove the glow plug and check if it's wet with fuel, if it is then it's probably too rich to fire so try leaning it out a little
Old 06-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Tech Champion

So what's hot for weight saving? Looking at Harry's car (no pics of anyone elses around) he just looks to have different screws? tho earlier in the thread there's a pic of his car with alloy uprights, brake brace and lever, bu then AI says to stay with plastic cos it's lighter... so does that mean i just cut off everything that isnt functional? I actually already started this by snapping off the edge of the rear suspension mount in a crash the other day
Old 06-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

[QUOTE=CraigM;3390142]So what's hot for weight saving? /QUOTE] go with dual futaba 9550s and save 1.0 oz; and go with a lipo receiver pack
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPCR8&P=SM
with this http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJJF6&P=7
and save another oz or two and strap a spektrum micro receiver to the side of one of those compact servos to save some more(it fits nicely between the servo and servo guard on the pre '05s) That's an expensive solution to the weight problem but the side benefit is that you get a top notch electronics setup at the same time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.