R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-12-2006, 09:34 AM   #10981
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastharry
and get this....it goes down the back and ends in a point!!!......

((see my R40 peeking out?.....see all those engine boxes in the closet?)

Now that what I'm talking about! At least you have hair up there to make into a mohawk.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:51 PM   #10982
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I was going to use a mugen clutch on the g4, like I do on the R40. The 720 looks nice but I haven't seen very good performances from it and those cars have never been durable since the impulse. The Mugen is the other option but I don't see enough of a difference between that and the R40, not to mention they seem to lose belts and 2nd spurs like the r40. The g4 I have not even heard of broken belts, seems the only weak spot is the UFO clutch.
bucknuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:44 PM   #10983
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts
I was going to use a mugen clutch on the g4, like I do on the R40. The 720 looks nice but I haven't seen very good performances from it and those cars have never been durable since the impulse. The Mugen is the other option but I don't see enough of a difference between that and the R40, not to mention they seem to lose belts and 2nd spurs like the r40. The g4 I have not even heard of broken belts, seems the only weak spot is the UFO clutch.
I'll let someone else reply to this.... There's so much I can say but, I don't think it'll help this guy... .02

RC_Alan
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:02 PM   #10984
Tech Fanatic

Maybe you should ask your question again... Next time though, think about how you're wording your question.... You don't want to come off sounding...

RC_Alan
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:07 AM   #10985
Tech Master

Quote:
All 3 cars are solid performers. If you want to switch from the R40, your personal preference should be you guide. The only reason that the Mugen clutch is used on the R40 is to give it a more solid clutch. The other 3 cars all have good clutches. The UFO clutch is a K factory hop up for the G4S and is supposed to be the best performing clutch you can get. It is more complex though, so the setup and tuning is more crucial. Also, all 3 have been very competitive in high level racing. You might want to read a bit more from the other threads. No car is perfect and there are lots of people who like to tinker and tweak.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:39 AM   #10986
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:

in 3 years of racing the r40,I've never lost a belt or spur gear....
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:31 PM   #10987
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm in the middle of rebuilding my R40 and found that the rear diff is binding somewhere. I removed the belt and re-assembled it and its still binding. It think it either rubbing on the side of the bearing holders or the casing? Anyone find the same thing happening? How did you resolve this?
Deeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:41 PM   #10988
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

I had this issue I believe at the regionals after I swapped to the 4 gear spider diff. The diff was rebuilt and I removed some of the diff oil as I used the type that came in the front - it was too thick. Try maybe 30k silicone or so.

Well my R40 didn't sell and the person I was going to give it away too lost interest as he is more into bikes and such. Anyway, had to visit an old friend of mine (LHS) and ended up with....

It's kinda hard to part with this car after some good (and bad) times with it. Atleast the LHS nearby still holds onto parts as I don't have the time to drop $400 on an MTX4...and not even have parts. The carlsen Mod OS TZ will be installed after I warm up again with the .12TR. Hopefully we get one last nice day before the snow/brick cold hits.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:32 PM   #10989
Tech Adept

Hey what .12 engine do you recommend for a small "tight" track? I'm looking for a nice long stroke engine. It needs to be a SG crank engine.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:28 PM   #10990
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

How small of a track are you talking about? The track I ran this .12TR on was 200'x100' roughly with the stock LW 2speed gear ratio. It ran rather well aside from getting passed on the straight away. For the price you can't beat the OS .12TZ and it'd have more torque and a bit more top than the RB V12. The Mega ZX12 DSII 06 is another great motor to choose from as well. Both can be used on medium to large tracks as well. If you can find say an MT12 or RS12 cheap NIB or slightly used, they'd do nicely as well. Hook them up with a Vantage, RD Logics, SKyline (Recommended), and or Novarossi pipe to get best performance and your choice of 30% fuel. Just remember to use a slightly cooler plug and add 1 shim just to be safe from pre-detonation and or pitting of the piston.

Well R40 hibernators, my car has been awaken once again. Here's the pics. The alloy parts are from 3racing. I used the RC Screwz kit for the MTX4 all through out this car and everything fits nicely. Not shown are the 3 racing hubs with Zero Offset. I got tired of the plastic ones wearing out. The alloy front sway bar arms are a nice touch as I never noticed how flexy the stock one is. I definately don't want to sell this car and after showing it to the kid who was going to get it free he'd definately want to take it back. Too late now.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:36 AM   #10991
Tech Adept

Thanks for the info. I have a MT-12 that I can use, but it has a standard shaft. I want to run the mtx3 clutch and I think it requires a SG shaft. I could try and find a MT-12 junk motor and swap the shafts or just sell the MT-12. But MT-12 is such a good engine...
Old 12-20-2006, 01:38 PM   #10992
Tech Master

The R40 comes with an adapter so you can use a standard crank engine. I'm pretty sure that it will work with the Mugen clutch too.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:34 PM   #10993
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastharry
in 3 years of racing the r40,I've never lost a belt or spur gear....
In my 3 years racing it; at least a half dozen of each.
bucknuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:54 PM   #10994
Tech Adept

Hey fellas, can someone tell me where I can buy the mtx-3 clutch kit for cheap? Thanks
DaNNy671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:55 PM   #10995
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to 18SS

go to like very well none Hobby shop liek where i live i go to HOBBY HOBBY and they got tuns but i like in Tornoto lol so tis not the smae
18SS is offline   Reply With Quote