Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 05:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
I think this is what fastharry used for his high strength tie rod fix. I think he used the proline ones. These lunsford ones look exactly the same.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEMD2&P=7

Only $1.89 for a pair too.
I think I have some of those , the inner hole is too small to fit on the big pivot balls. But I tried it with there own pivot balls , except there kinda cheap and arent smooth moving , the plastic in those things are ultra strong , I could see how it would work. Its hard to just screw on the turnbuckles.

But I know he used something like this. I just cant seem to find it.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
I think I have some of those , the inner hole is too small to fit on the big pivot balls. But I tried it with there own pivot balls , except there kinda cheap and arent smooth moving , the plastic in those things are ultra strong , I could see how it would work. Its hard to just screw on the turnbuckles.

maybe you can find something the right size from mugen just about every link is like those , they work quite smooth and strong, plus you should be able to find the size you need from mtx or mrx cars
happy hunting, hope it works out for you guys
Old 05-08-2006, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Hmm. Maybe its just a really tight fit. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly. My memory isn't what it used to be .

On a side note I just saw this at RC model site.

http://shopping.rcmodel.hk/popup_image.php?pID=2303

Is it really new? or have I just missed it. Looks like it would work.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Tech Addict

Hey guys. Ran the R40 this weekend and it was awsome. I decided to run a overdrive set-up. Put the 22t pulley up front and ran a 3mm difference between the front and rear tires. Wow. As far as camber links I havent had much problems with them on this R40. My last one they never held up, as a temp fix I used wire ties to keep them from moving back in on the rod. Also running your clutch to tight can cause the engine to boog down thru the corners. You want a good medium. If it hits to hard you run the risk of kicking out the rear end. I have about 2mm play in my clutch and it works great.. I just need to gear down first gear
Old 05-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
Hmm. Maybe its just a really tight fit. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly. My memory isn't what it used to be .

On a side note I just saw this at RC model site.

http://shopping.rcmodel.hk/popup_image.php?pID=2303

Is it really new? or have I just missed it. Looks like it would work.
I have been buying tires from them for about 4 or 5 years know. If you order bulk you, they come out to about 10 or 11 dollars a pair
Old 05-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BallPy
Hey guys. Ran the R40 this weekend and it was awsome. I decided to run a overdrive set-up. Put the 22t pulley up front and ran a 3mm difference between the front and rear tires. Wow. As far as camber links I havent had much problems with them on this R40. My last one they never held up, as a temp fix I used wire ties to keep them from moving back in on the rod. Also running your clutch to tight can cause the engine to boog down thru the corners. You want a good medium. If it hits to hard you run the risk of kicking out the rear end. I have about 2mm play in my clutch and it works great.. I just need to gear down first gear
Yup that will happen if its too low , I kinda liked it , lol...but I think I was a little too low, im going to crank it back a little and hopefully find the happy medium.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:07 PM
Tech Addict

Yup that will happen if its too low , I kinda liked it , lol...but I think I was a little too low, im going to crank it back a little and hopefully find the happy medium.
I have the solution for HP. 60% nitro baby. Had to try it in one of my old engines, did last long but boy did it scream.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:07 AM
Tech Addict

Well guys,
Looks like HPI isnt having a challenge this year. They dont seem to think that they are getting exposure at the last HPI challenges, or they dont think that they are getting enough.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

Where did you hear this? Yeah thats a shame. I know the last hpi challenge last year @ superior was a dud compared to previous years. I think they havent been pushing there cars hard enough. It seems to be all cyclone and hellfire now.

I mean now theres a hara edition out , has hara even driven this version at a major event? At least when it was in production?

If there going to pull back the reigns, another bad move. They should just get used to smaller events until they get a better car that grabs the rc community better. They should also try the reverse and try pumping up there challenges more, add more events or contests. Maybe have some top drivers show up and show how its done. I know they had Thad Garner at one , too bad he didnt drive. But every HPI challenge Ive ever heard of Ive wanted to attend and there all awesome. I would seriously be sadened though if they dont have HPI Challenges anymore.....
Old 05-09-2006, 07:29 AM
Tech Addict

I read it hear. Looks like a few of the guys contacted HPI and they wont do it unless they get a few thousand spectators.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Well guys,
Looks like HPI isnt having a challenge this year. They dont seem to think that they are getting exposure at the last HPI challenges, or they dont think that they are getting enough.
You can't make that statement YET. I admit it looks grim right now, but HPI just recently reworked the criteria for hosting a challenge. I hope there are some events that can meet them. I do understand that its all about the bottom line. HPI USA seems to be having a hard time finding their market niche. I just wish HPI would make up their minds and let us know one way or another. For those of you involved with running or organizing racing, HPI does donate prizes. You may need to send them pictures of the racing and maybe race results to show the number of racers involved. I know they have been pretty generous at some of our local races here in So Cal.

In the end, each of us needs to decide which brand is best for ourselfs. For me, I guess I'm just an HPI homer. I feel a bit more comfortable with them as long as they have a competative platform and the R40 can still hang with the best. For now its HPI BABY!!!
Old 05-09-2006, 09:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Well guys,

damn that sucks, that was one of the reasons I bought my car vs another manufacturer?
Old 05-09-2006, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

Quick question for you guys. What are you running for camber front and rear?

I also redid my rear camber links. Im also going to be running -2.5 to -3 camber in the rear instead of -1.5 as before. This alone is going to bring the turnbuckles deeper into the rod. So this should help with the stripping some and from what I felt when my car was running extreme camber was pretty good. So Im going to jump up a little for next race and see how it goes. Plus this should put an end to the rear camber link problem.

Also if you run smaller diameter tires, does this effect the camber when you goto fix the ride height. Or simply put does changing the shock collar position effect camber?
Old 05-09-2006, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Quick question for you guys. What are you running for camber front and rear?

I also redid my rear camber links. Im also going to be running -2.5 to -3 camber in the rear instead of -1.5 as before. This alone is going to bring the turnbuckles deeper into the rod. So this should help with the stripping some and from what I felt when my car was running extreme camber was pretty good. So Im going to jump up a little for next race and see how it goes. Plus this should put an end to the rear camber link problem.

Also if you run smaller diameter tires, does this effect the camber when you goto fix the ride height. Or simply put does changing the shock collar position effect camber?

I run 1 to 1.5 in the front and 1.5 to 2 in the rear. Smaller tires should increase camber. Try pushing down on the suspension and checking the camber to make sure. Let me know how it handles with the new settings.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Tech Addict

I try to set my camber so that the tires wear flat. I am not sure if this is the correct way but it seems to work for me. Sometimes you cant get both sides to wear flat but they are pretty close. It normally is about 2 degrees or so in the rear and about 1 to 1.5 in the fron, depends on track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.