R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-06-2006, 01:20 PM   #10216
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to ProE Send a message via Skype™ to ProE

Artificial-I

Quote:
Make sure there is a hairline crack between the two shoes. Basically to where you can barely see light through it. Make sure that the screw on top and bottom equate to half of that gap so they have equal pressure.

Then back the side screws all the way out till they almost can get touched. This should be a good initial setup to get a shift. Then go inward for later engagement and outward for quicker.
I need your help to understand this better. I'm still struggling to get this ....thing set up correctly. I've now taken out my new spare kit to try and set it up to test later on.

When I assemble the two side screws, the manual that came with the kit states that the screws must be tightened untill they touch the spring collar. Then loosen them 3 turns.

If I tighten the screws untill they touch the spring collar, they are not in far enough to allow the assembly to go into the 2 speed clutch bell. I have to tighten the screws so that it compresses the springs so that the head of the screw is low enough to allow assembly of these components. Is this correct, or what am I doing wrong?
ProE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:38 PM   #10217
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tandman

Pro e......you have to tighten the screws until they bottom out the spring....compress it all the way. Then back them off. I built my car and finally ran it today and everything worked great. Clutch engages nice and the 2 speed shifts at the right point after a little tweek on the screws.
Team Sweepracing-R1 Wurks Team Canada
tandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:48 PM   #10218

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Awesome race day today. Got fastest lap for my 1st qualifier -- At least I believe I did. But came in like 4th. I had some more carbon hinge pins break..LOL (I kept them in different areas to see if they might survive elsewhere. Nope , so Im completely back to stock metal pin.

Stupid rear camber links keep stripping and im about to pull my hair out on that. I need to build my bulkier ones but havent had time yet.

Then some smart guy was parked in the middle of the straight and for some reason I couldnt see him, ive pretty much destroyed my hara body in one outting because of that...with all the hard to find hpi / r40 and hara stickers and all.

And this was all during the first qualifier, which I managed to set fastest lap still with and finish...lol. When the car came in and sat on the table I looked and had a completely bent up hara stratus with yellow on the front...not sure how but thats the color of the car I hit...somehow I hit him so hard the paint morphed through his lexan and onto mine...either that or hes a true smart one and painted the outside.

Then the front was dropped to one side , the rear to another. Also during this whole thing I had almost no control , car would veer , then it wouldnt. This made me hit one of the corner markers , car shot about 6 feet into the air and about 20 feet away. I was like am I running off-road?. As well my car got stuck in a corner and the marshal or just passer byer picked up the car and just kinda sat , looked at the car , looked around, looked back at the car..... NICE....then 10 seconds later looked like he got an idea and finally put it on the ground.

Fixed the car just in time for next round , metal hinge pins back in , this time setting the car up all by sight and feel since I had no time.

Car was luckily pretty much perfect , a little tight into the turn and a little loose but very predictable. Might have been the stratus 3.1. Also it was my first time using the spool and 4 gear. Its seems like 2 times better of a car. I did a lot at once , but Im pretty sure all of its contributing one way or another.

For the second qualifier placed first , halfway into it car picked up the veering problem. Came in and saw the rear camber link was in again. Its suprising how much one tire with lots of camber can turn the car.

But with that all going on I still managed to get 1st overall. Went to marshal and looked for the top guy who I would be racing....yeah complete nutbar in a mugen. Really strong motor and just overdriving and smacking walls like crazy. Im like oh great hes just going to hack me.

Come A-main , I get to about the 3rd corner...he does as I knew he would and just smacks me out. But granted he was able to start leaving me, all motor probably. Car then started to veer (dang camber links), I even tried to quick fix it before the a-main with some of the r40 spacers. Just poped out.

But came in 2nd , with a respectable run....got tired of people smacking me around so I gave some hacks back....least I can turn my hacks on and off...some people just cant drive any better , they have no brains to get around a track nicely , they just aim at your car and full throttle it into a corner....where im braking and preparing. Really erks me , but Iam in a "sportsman" class, so its understandable these people cant drive. I didnt plow or hack any of them either like they did me. I would just assist there lines into the wall. There the dumb ones to follow it , or Id keep tight and leave them stuck in a corner. Basically whoever would give me trouble I would just make sure to keep them well behind me. Im going to move up soon , but the faster class "expert" guys are pulling 2 seconds under me on average and there running 300-400 dollar modified motors. But when you watch them race they are aggressive but not hacking you , just pushing you and fighting for the inside etc.

But was really nice running the spool, I was playing around and getting on the power earlier and ealier. Finally was stomping on the power well before the apex came and was using it to rotate the car and it was just so nice and predictable....just come out a little and you could still steer it where you wanted.

As well using the brakes for the first time was fun , much easier transition than I expected. Not sure if VRC helped me on that or not (was practicing with the spool on there , before one-way). But fastest lap and TQ works for me.

Oh and the TSAIS pipe , ran it just for the heck of it , it was getting wasted.....I think it got more bent than the rdlogic ever did as well the pipe itself has some dings, never had a ding on the rdlogic. Next month im going to the CVEC pipe....no more bent pipes or stingers with that one.

Given my good experiences I might hold off on the switch up to the 05 parts. Dont want to mess a good thing up....but there sitting in the pit box if I feel the need for speed.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 05-07-2006 at 03:14 PM.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:13 PM   #10219
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jscamry Send a message via MSN to jscamry Send a message via Yahoo to jscamry Send a message via Skype™ to jscamry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Awesome race day today. Got fastest lap for my 1st qualifier -- At least I believe I did. But came in like 4th. I had some more carbon hinge pins break..LOL (I kept them in different areas to see if they might survive elsewhere. Nope , so Im completely back to stock metal pin.

Stupid rear camber links keep stripping and im about to pull my hair out on that. I need to build my bulkier ones but havent had time yet.

Then some smart guy was parked in the middle of the straight and for some reason I couldnt see him, ive pretty much destroyed my hara body in one outting because of that...with all the hard to find hpi / r40 and hara stickers and all.

And this was all during the first qualifier, which I managed to set fastest lap still with and finish...lol. When the car came in and sat on the table I looked and had a completely bent up hara stratus with yellow on the front...not sure how but thats the color of the car I hit...somehow I hit him so hard the paint morphed through his lexan and onto mine...either that or hes a true smart one and painted the outside.

Then the front was dropped to one side , the rear to another. Also during this whole thing I had almost no control , car would veer , then it wouldnt. This made me hit one of the corner markers , car shot about 6 feet into the air and about 20 feet away. I was like am I running off-road?. As well my car got stuck in a corner and the marshal or just passer byer picked up the car and just kinda sat , looked at the car , looked around, looked back at the car..... NICE....then 10 seconds later looked like he got an idea and finally put it on the ground.

Fixed the car for next round , this time setting the car up all by sight and feel.

Car was perfect , a little tight into the turn and a little loose but very predictable. Might have been the stratus 3.1. Also it was my first time using the spool and 4 gear. Its seems like 2 times better of a car. I did a lot at once , but Im pretty sure all of its contributing one way or another.

For the second qualifier placed first , halfway into it car picked up the veering problem. Came in and saw the rear camber link was in again. Its suprising how much one tire with lots of camber can turn the car.

But with that all going on I still managed to get 1st overall. Went to marshal and looked for the top guy who I would be racing....yeah complete nutbar in a mugen. Really strong motor and just overdriving and smacking walls like crazy. Im like oh great hes just going to hack me.

Come A-main , I get to about the 3rd corner...he does as I knew he would and just smacks me out. But granted he was able to start leaving me, all motor probably. Car then started to veer (dang camber links), I even tried to quick fix it before the a-main with some of the r40 spacers. Just poped out.

But came in 2nd , with a respectable run....got tired of people smacking me around so I gave some hacks back....least I can turn my hacks on and off...some people just cant drive any better , they have no brains to get around a track nicely , they just aim at your car and full throttle it into a corner....where im braking and preparing. Really erks me , but Iam in a "sportsman" class, so its understandable these people cant drive. I didnt plow or hack any of them either like they did me. I would just assist there lines into the wall. There the dumb ones to follow it , or Id keep tight and leave them stuck in a corner. Basically whoever would give me trouble I would just make sure to keep them well behind me. Im going to move up soon , but the faster class "expert" guys are pulling 2 seconds under me on average and there running 300-400 dollar modified motors. But when you watch them race they are aggressive but not hacking you , just pushing you and fighting for the inside etc.

But was really nice running the spool, I was playing around and getting on the power earlier and ealier. Finally was stomping on the power well before the apex came and was using it to rotate the car and it was just so nice and predictable....just come out a little and you could still steer it where you wanted.

As well using the brakes for the first time was fun , much easier transition than I expected. Not sure if VRC helped me on that or not (was practicing with the spool on there , before one-way). But fastest lap and TQ works for me.

Oh and the TSAIS pipe , ran it just for the heck of it , it was getting wasted.....I think it got more bent than the rdlogic ever did as well the pipe itself has some dings, never had a ding on the rdlogic. Next month im going to the CVEC pipe....no more bent pipes or stingers with that one.

Given my good experiences I might hold off on the switch up to the 05 parts. Dont want to mess a good thing up....but there sitting in the pit box if I feel the need for speed.
Damn A-I, that was a good read, really flowed well it was as if I was there with you. So over all, you really only had major problems with the rear camber links. Did you find with the switch to the 4-gear and the spool gave you simlar on/off power in/out of the corners as the one-way? sounds like you had an awesome setup!!!

good job!
jscamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 03:19 PM   #10220

Yeah, lol it turned out to be a long read. Lots of stuff happened. I forgot to also mention the clutch was engaging real nice and low. This all combined just made me drive and I could whatever little throttle to get around.

But yeah this new setup seems to be great.

OLD SETUP:
Mazda6 body
One-Way
2 Gear Rear Diff w/ grease
High Revving Clutch for engagement

NEW SETUP:
Stratus 3.1 body
spool
4-gear rear diff w/ 10k silicone oil
Instant clutch engagement

I also got quite a bit of video and someone caught like two laps of me. Ill have some of it up probably later tonight.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:19 PM   #10221
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

top report, just a question on the stratos 3.1 , how do you find it compared to say the mazda 6 protoform? assuming you have tried both that is
Old 05-07-2006, 03:25 PM   #10222

To put it simple , in my opinion its just better. More over this is how I would say it , the mazda6 is a good body , has lots of turn in and is a little loose. It can be driven fast , but the stratus is more settled and it can be driven just as fast , its just a bit easier on you.

But thats my thoughts. I didnt have tons of time with both and I didnt swap from one to the other without lots of changes. Ill bring the mazda6 next time and Ill run it on the same setup one qualifier to just get another reading on the comparison. But so far so good. I did the hara body proud.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:45 PM   #10223
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
To put it simple , in my opinion its just better. More over this is how I would say it , the mazda6 is a good body , has lots of turn in and is a little loose. It can be driven fast , but the stratus is more settled and it can be driven just as fast , its just a bit easier on you.

But thats my thoughts. I didnt have tons of time with both and I didnt swap from one to the other without lots of changes. Ill bring the mazda6 next time and Ill run it on the same setup one qualifier to just get another reading on the comparison. But so far so good. I did the hara body proud.
thanks for the info, looks like i'm going to try the stratos 3.1, being smooth on the high speed high traction track i've started racing on is a must or the other option is the grass since one of our local racers changed from mazda to stratos he not only is the new australian champion but everyone else has become a whipping post, he's that fast its scary
Old 05-07-2006, 04:23 PM   #10224
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Werner

I have been trying to get up to speed on what one needs to do/have to run the r40 at a Local level. I have read that there is a 04 and 05 version of the car. Is the 04 considered the first version or is there an older car yet?

I have thoughts of getting one used and did not know what to look for from the versions.

Thanks for any info.

Jeff
Jeff Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:39 PM   #10225
Tech Master

Quote:
Are you replacing the rod ends when they get punched in? Just unscrewing the rods is only a temporary fix. It only takes a light tap to push it back in.

Good job on the racing today
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:28 PM   #10226
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Werner
I have been trying to get up to speed on what one needs to do/have to run the r40 at a Local level. I have read that there is a 04 and 05 version of the car. Is the 04 considered the first version or is there an older car yet?

I have thoughts of getting one used and did not know what to look for from the versions.

Thanks for any info.

Jeff
The 04 is a spec unavailable in the US. The 05 spec is the Japanese name for the "Hara edition" available in the US. The Hara edition is the better of the versions as it is the newest and contains a few modifications to weight placement and rear arms that make the car better.

The R40 in any spec is as good as any other car out there in terms of performance and handling. It has a few minor issues relating to the clutch (it is not as new as some other cars, ie heavier) and the 2 speed requires a little more attention to be paid to it, but overall it is very solid and fast.

Unless you really dont have the cash do not get a 2nd hand car. I learned this many years ago.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:31 PM   #10227
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
Are you replacing the rod ends when they get punched in? Just unscrewing the rods is only a temporary fix. It only takes a light tap to push it back in.

Yep agree Roy. These parts are a "high wear" item on the R40 and need to be replaced regularly.

My maintenance routine from most to least (not exhaustive):

1. Clutch pad
2. Steering linkage rod ends
3. Rear camber link rod ends

Most other parts of the car last for me until that chassis is retired (around 1 year racing). I have personally found it cheaper to retire the chassis and buy a new one than to "refurbish" an older chassis.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:17 PM   #10228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Roy

You know I havent been and I didnt really sit back and think yeah its going to always bend in. But Im pretty sure it alternates...sometimes it can handle it sometimes it cant.

The thing I hate is to get just a set you have to buy like that whole parts tree. If hpi just sold these pieces alone , id have twenty in my box. But I try to change them as little as possible as new or old they eventually smash inward.

I think I have a fix , probably will just build it tonight.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:51 PM   #10229
Tech Master

I think this is what fastharry used for his high strength tie rod fix. I think he used the proline ones. These lunsford ones look exactly the same.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEMD2&P=7

Only $1.89 for a pair too.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:29 AM   #10230
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Werner

Thanks for any info.

Jeff
AMG is correct. The 2004 is a Japanese version with almost all the available hop ups on it at the time. The 2005 has a new chassis, upper deck, fuel tank and servo mounts.

I think you can get good value from a used car as long as it hasn't been used too much. I got 2 R40's, one with allmost all the hop ups and one bone stock and almost enough parts to build 2 more cars, engines pipes and tires for $400. I rebuilt both cars, replacing any worn, bent or suspicious looking parts as I went. I think I only had to buy one plastic tree to get the cars into race shape. The hopped up one was needed some TLC but the stock one was almost brand new.

If you are going to buy used, be very selective and try to get one with lighweight parts and extra parts. Look carefully at the pictures with the parts in it. You want to see extra arms, bulkheads, pivot balls, dog bones and clutch parts. I would suggest: LW 2 speed, Chassis, and shock towers on the car too. That way you don't need to upgrade.