R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-03-2006, 04:06 PM   #10186

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPy
Also was wondering if anyone is having problems with there diffs leaking...I can seem to keep fluid in mine. Thanks for the info
Where is it leaking from?
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:07 PM   #10187

Quote:
Anyone know where to get a few good set-up sheets for the R40...HPI's site doesnt have much. I would like to have these for base lines

Thanks
Heres a link to all the HPI R40 Setup sheets I could find. For the ones from japan youll need to update your adobe acrobat to support japanese text , it took me awhile to get it , but once done. You have access to 3 hard to find setup sheets.

Most people here probably havent seen them.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 05-03-2006 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:21 PM   #10188
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Where is it leaking from?
rear diff...the gasket that is in it held up for a race..then came the 30000 everywhere.

The link didnt show up
BallPy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:31 PM   #10189
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

Hmm I never had any sort of leaking from the rear diff...only the front? Silicone or some sealant will help. Also make sure the screws are fully tightened.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:37 PM   #10190
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
Hmm I never had any sort of leaking from the rear diff...only the front? Silicone or some sealant will help. Also make sure the screws are fully tightened.
That was my first step, i thought is was an idiot and forgot to tighten screws but they are tight..Front diff doesnt leak because i am running one way
Old 05-03-2006, 09:37 PM   #10191
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jscamry Send a message via MSN to jscamry Send a message via Yahoo to jscamry Send a message via Skype™ to jscamry

Quote:
Also was wondering if anyone is having problems with there diffs leaking...I can seem to keep fluid in mine. Thanks for the info
in addition to sealant on the outer edges of the diff housing, try not to over tighten the 4 screws this will cause more leakage, I have done it lol, but sealant in the screw holes solved this...

J.
jscamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:55 PM   #10192
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jscamry Send a message via MSN to jscamry Send a message via Yahoo to jscamry Send a message via Skype™ to jscamry

Has anyone had this problem with the pivot balls comming through the knuckles?
I was at the track tonight and I tapped the board a few times..

thanks J.
jscamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:04 AM   #10193
Tech Adept

you have to replace that knuckle now. i'm sure its warped even though it "looks" fine. i was a board smacker last season so i know about this problem
nitrothugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:38 AM   #10194
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscamry
in addition to sealant on the outer edges of the diff housing, try not to over tighten the 4 screws this will cause more leakage, I have done it lol, but sealant in the screw holes solved this...

J.
I wonder if using a heavy grease will work better than the silicone? Has anyone tried this. If so what lube did you use. I have some teflon lube that i can use, not sure if it will be thick enough
Old 05-04-2006, 09:25 AM   #10195

Tamiya Anti Wear Grease I hear works well in hpi gear diffs.

I think HPI also has a heavier weight grease.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDHK6&P=7

Might be worth a try. I was running grease before w/ the 2 gear rear diff. Now im running oil and 4 gear. So hard to probably compare but it didnt seem to have problems....was real loose though compared to my 4 gear with 10k oil.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:24 AM   #10196
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscamry
Has anyone had this problem with the pivot balls comming through the knuckles?
I was at the track tonight and I tapped the board a few times..

thanks J.
I have done this a couple of times at the permanent track near by. Never at the parking lot races. It has to do with the boarders that want to grab the wheel. I don't think its just the R40 though. I had the same problem with my 705 before I got the R40's. Maybe you could look a ways back on this thread and look at fastharry's car. I'm pretty sure he had gotten the aluminum knuckles to solve this very problem.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:47 AM   #10197
Tech Master

Quote:

Might be worth a try. I was running grease before w/ the 2 gear rear diff. Now im running oil and 4 gear. So hard to probably compare but it didnt seem to have problems....was real loose though compared to my 4 gear with 10k oil.
I remember Yokomo having a hard grease for diffs in 3 different weights. It way pretty popular with the RS4 crowd to tune there diffs because it didn't weep out like the normal stuff. I did a quick search, but couldn't find it. Anybody still use the stuff? Or has it been discontinued because of all the newer kits have "sealed" diffs.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:46 AM   #10198
Tech Addict

Quote:

I think I still have some of that. Sounds like I might be trying that tonight
Old 05-04-2006, 12:45 PM   #10199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
I remember Yokomo having a hard grease for diffs in 3 different weights. It way pretty popular with the RS4 crowd to tune there diffs because it didn't weep out like the normal stuff. I did a quick search, but couldn't find it. Anybody still use the stuff? Or has it been discontinued because of all the newer kits have "sealed" diffs.
I think I just saw some or something like it. Which btw the hpi heavy grease is 30,000 weight...who knows how this compares to silicone oil weight.

But thought I would throw that in.

Also kinda on the subject of the diff, I was reading through hpi japan site and they have the 4 gear listed with this information.

HPI Japan:
"4 bevel diff gears which show the LSD effect which it stabilizes. Width of setting furthermore spreads by modifying oil viscosity. All the Japanese champions use these parts. "

HPI USA Says this: #33406 Diff Gear Set (R40 4 Bevel Gear)
4 bevel gears make the car more stable under hard acceleration. The 4 bevel gear set-up also increases durability.

If you want to check more r40 parts and hpi japan descriptions, which normally have a different twist and more information.

Go here for the R40 Japan Product Info translated link: http://translate.google.com/translat...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

And here is the main one: http://translate.google.com/translat...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

-- Also for everyone to know hpi pro tire is GRP made.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:36 PM   #10200
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

After helping another R40 owner I've thought of going with another R40 kit and this time not waste my $$ on those upgrades. Personally I got the car to handle great both box stock and with the upgrades, but with the LW 2speed I never got down to the shorter gear ratio which I prefered. Also, I never used the other shock positions on the graphite shock towers. Still though I'd rather atleast have the LW pack in there and a front oneway diff. Also, I've realized the front CVAs from the GPX4 pro seem to fit the R40. TOo many times have I watched other R40 ownes tap the boards and break those cheap dog bones easily. That really ruins the day for anyone. I've hit the walls at 45mph+ with my 8th and they just slightly bent. So if you wanted to get back into the Nitro sedan scene would you just bag the R40 original kit, install the new cvas and oneway diff or go with something else? It seems since I stopped buying R40 stuff the LHS got more parts in.