R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-21-2006, 09:58 PM   #10066

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Just go for a soft suspension with lots of travel and ride height. Youll be good to go.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:13 PM   #10067
Tech Master

Here's my parking lot setup

R40 Setups & Questions:

Front:

Width:???
Tire:37 shore
Ride Height:5mm
Camber:1.5 deg
Toe:0
Spring:black
Oil & Piston:50 wt
Rebounddroop?)3mm
Bump Stop:???
Sway Bar setting:Horizontal
Diff:100000

Rear:

Width:???
Tire:37 shore
Ride Height:5.5mm
Camber:2deg
Toe:3deg
Spring:silver
Oil & Piston:50wt
Rebound:2mm droop
Bump Stop:
Sway Bar:black
Diff:10000

Overall:

Body:Mazda6
Motor:RB v12
Pipe:RD logics turbo II
Fuel:Odonels 20%
Glow Plug:Mccoy mc59
Clutch Setup:Stock clutch with lowish engagement
Gearing:Stock kit
Track Condition:medium grip parking lot. technical with a 160 ft straight

Questions:

What do you adjust the most: Tires, toe, camber
What do you find is the key to your setup:Tires and springs
What have you tweaked to get the most from your R40:nothing
What do you think is the weakest point on the R40:upper camber links
What part or parts have you broken the most:arms
What things give you the most trouble on the R40: Clutch
--

Feel free to add anything extra to your responses.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:22 PM   #10068
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
There site is pretty accurate about stock, theres nothing really there. Also you need to search by part #'s to find it. I think hpi is being stingy. As well no one seems to have in stock the competition shocks for quite some time.
Thanks!

Here are the prices. The first price is the buy HPI the second is Horizons.
I also included there price for the LW 2 speed which is pretty good too.
chassis #73925 99.00~65.99
Top deck #73110 55.00~36.99.
Tank #87241 12.00~12.00
LW.2speed #87173 ???~53.99
Servo mount-#75067 ??? ~19.99
Old 04-22-2006, 08:39 AM   #10069

Hey guys , been getting into some cool stuff lately. Ive found a TON of R40 parts that Im pretty sure a lot of us wouldnt mind having a crack at. These parts are impossible to find and get ahold of.

If your interested in the parts list. Please pm or aim me. I have a catalog of parts for the R40 and im trying to figure out which im going to order for my shop. Ill send you the links and then you can just tell me what you would be interested in.

Theres no commitment, I just want to hear what you might be interested in. As well if your really excited about a part or know for sure you want it. I can put your parts aside for you and you can get it at your own leisure.

Im already sure about a certain few parts that Im pretty sure a lot of us would be interested. The rest of them are so crazy I dunno what to order first. Youll read the catalog and youll go OMG they make that??

Let me know,
AI
Old 04-22-2006, 11:25 AM   #10070
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to ProE Send a message via Skype™ to ProE

I took my car to the track early today. I said to myself that today I WILL sort out most of the sh...t on this car. (My clutch and two speed).

Started of with the clutch. Turned the nut all the way in as a starting point. When the engine revs up the car didn't move. So I turn the nut out bit by bit. It eventually started looking better, where the car started accelerating. I removed the clutch bell and the nut was level with the end. The car was moving but not as fast as the other cars at the track. If I pulled the trottle back slowly the car was very reluctant to start moving. When I pulled it back fast the car would start moving forward. So I walked to the on track shop and bought a mugen mtx clutch shoe (grey). I modified the holes and fitted the shoe. I could immediately see the difference. It was a lot better but still not as good as it should be. One of the top drivers at the track walked over to me and asked if he could help me.

I stripped the clutch completely as he wanted to see how I've assembled it. He had a look at the clutch spring and said that it is very stiff compared to his mugen's clutch spring and suggested that I get a softer spring. He said that the stiff spring pushes the shoe away from the clutch bell and that is why my clutch is slipping.

What do you guys think about this? Have any off you replaced the spring and with what spring?
ProE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:34 AM   #10071

Ive wanted too but im not sure what is a softer spring to get. But it makes sense. I do have some mugen springs that come stock with the mugen kit. Ill give those a try today and will let you guys know.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:20 PM   #10072
Tech Adept

Another thing that I picked up today after doing a lot of laps, was that my rear tyre was almost completely worn away, I had less than 1mm left on the rear tyres. The front tyre is almost as good as new.

Can anyone explain why the rear tyres whore down so quickly?
Old 04-22-2006, 12:42 PM   #10073
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jscamry Send a message via MSN to jscamry Send a message via Yahoo to jscamry Send a message via Skype™ to jscamry

hey proE, how did the the car handle minus the clutch and 2speed issues? What does you setup consist of?

thanks Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProE
I took my car to the track early today. I said to myself that today I WILL sort out most of the sh...t on this car. (My clutch and two speed).

Started of with the clutch. Turned the nut all the way in as a starting point. When the engine revs up the car didn't move. So I turn the nut out bit by bit. It eventually started looking better, where the car started accelerating. I removed the clutch bell and the nut was level with the end. The car was moving but not as fast as the other cars at the track. If I pulled the trottle back slowly the car was very reluctant to start moving. When I pulled it back fast the car would start moving forward. So I walked to the on track shop and bought a mugen mtx clutch shoe (grey). I modified the holes and fitted the shoe. I could immediately see the difference. It was a lot better but still not as good as it should be. One of the top drivers at the track walked over to me and asked if he could help me.

I stripped the clutch completely as he wanted to see how I've assembled it. He had a look at the clutch spring and said that it is very stiff compared to his mugen's clutch spring and suggested that I get a softer spring. He said that the stiff spring pushes the shoe away from the clutch bell and that is why my clutch is slipping.

What do you guys think about this? Have any off you replaced the spring and with what spring?
jscamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 12:55 PM   #10074
Tech Adept

my setup is still the stock setup from the manual. As I've been working on clutch and two speed the whole time. Did not to want to be spending time on setups while im still trying to sort clutch and two speed out.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:08 PM   #10075

What happens is tire wear of the rear occurs normally a bit more than the fronts. So once it wears down more than the fronts. The rear begins to overdrive itself. Then essentially its going to spin much much faster than the front. Soon once you were probably at 1-2mm down on the rear it was just accelerating wear more and more.

You should have noticed the car was beccoming more and more tail happy. I had this issue and now keep a good eye on the car and will most likely be running a 1mm larger rear to compensate for this.

But yeah was at the track 1st qualifier stuck pretty well but the rear was a little loose. Next qualifier the rear started slipping out and I was very confused as my setup normally stays. Well I brought it in and tada rear was way down. So the small bit that started in the morning become worse and worse.

I now have a tire truer and will be keeping a good eye on my foams. But yeah your car handling is probably fine.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:15 PM   #10076

Oh I also went and checked a mugen gold spring and a mugen silver spring (looks like it). Both seemed a bit harder than the hpi. But It has given me an idea. I remember in my searches before there really wasnt much softer out there. But ill check with a few people to see if they know.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:53 PM   #10077
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProE
my setup is still the stock setup from the manual. As I've been working on clutch and two speed the whole time. Did not to want to be spending time on setups while im still trying to sort clutch and two speed out.
sounds like the clutch gap is too large to start with. Make sure that the pins in the flywheel arnt hitting the clutch bell. You will be able to see the grove worn in the clutch bell if this is happening. You can tap them into the flywheel or sand them down. Also make sure that there is very little movement of the clutchbell after its installed.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:06 PM   #10078
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Hey guys , been getting into some cool stuff lately. Ive found a TON of R40 parts that Im pretty sure a lot of us wouldnt mind having a crack at. These parts are impossible to find and get ahold of.

If your interested in the parts list. Please pm or aim me. I have a catalog of parts for the R40 and im trying to figure out which im going to order for my shop. Ill send you the links and then you can just tell me what you would be interested in.

Theres no commitment, I just want to hear what you might be interested in. As well if your really excited about a part or know for sure you want it. I can put your parts aside for you and you can get it at your own leisure.

Im already sure about a certain few parts that Im pretty sure a lot of us would be interested. The rest of them are so crazy I dunno what to order first. Youll read the catalog and youll go OMG they make that??

Let me know,
AI
any purple front knuckles?..
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:22 AM   #10079
Tech Adept

Quote:
sounds like the clutch gap is too large to start with. Make sure that the pins in the flywheel arnt hitting the clutch bell. You will be able to see the grove worn in the clutch bell if this is happening. You can tap them into the flywheel or sand them down. Also make sure that there is very little movement of the clutchbell after its installed.
Done all of that. Sanded the pins down. The movement of the clutch bell from min. to max. is only 0.3 mm.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:38 AM   #10080

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastharry
any purple front knuckles?..
Yup, Ill give u the lowdown in the pm I send out. Gotta get the info all together to send. Ill probably have it to everyone tommorrow.

Some have seen it. Some havent. But the catalog I have takes what you might seen to the next level.

Here were some parts that interested me.

TI Hinge Pins
TI Brake Disc
TI Pillow Balls
TI Swing Shafts
TI Gears
TI Pullies
TI Shafts
Delrin Suspension Pieces
CF for all the usual parts.
4.7MM Height Adjustable chassis?? (yeah not sure what height adjustable means)
Alloy front knuclkes with delrin screws
Alloy rear Hub
Lightweight Flywheel (been looking for one for the r40 for a long time , and maybe this one we wont have to trim flywheel pins).
Urethane Front Bumper
Engine Mounts
Steel Handle

And a ton of other wild parts.