R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-14-2006, 01:20 AM   #9856
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Have you tried the urethane belts yet? I have a set just havent worn my old ones...for some reason my belts look great. Even on my old r40, I took them off and they look fine. Hopefully it stays this way.
Yeah been running for around 6 months or so. Makes the drivetrain less free which is wierd, never worked out why really. Have not broken the rear yet.

Like proteus says, on high grip with big clutch rip you will strip teeth eventually. Now before everybody gets all cranky, the some new belts on the MTX4 also suffered from cracked teeth. And the MTX3 had some front belt stripping issues on high grip with spools. I think the lesson is high grip = more belt wear.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:23 AM   #9857
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus
Urethane belts? Do you have a part# for that. Didn't know they came out with new belts.
Ummm yeah man lemme look it up...............

Long = 33429
Short = 33430

Word of warning, urethane = plastic = will melt!! My long belt melted because it was touching my header......
Old 02-14-2006, 06:23 AM   #9858
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Proteus

Thanks!!!
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:49 AM   #9859

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGRacer
Yeah been running for around 6 months or so. Makes the drivetrain less free which is wierd, never worked out why really. Have not broken the rear yet.

Like proteus says, on high grip with big clutch rip you will strip teeth eventually. Now before everybody gets all cranky, the some new belts on the MTX4 also suffered from cracked teeth. And the MTX3 had some front belt stripping issues on high grip with spools. I think the lesson is high grip = more belt wear.
Less free, odd. Is it more durable though?
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:52 AM   #9860
Tech Fanatic

Where did you get those belts from? I've checked a couple of stateside and overseas online stores and none of them carry it.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:36 AM   #9861
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Where did you get those belts from? I've checked a couple of stateside and overseas online stores and none of them carry it.
Here
http://www.precisionrc.com/nv/car/pr...oduct_id=22008

Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:58 AM   #9862
Tech Fanatic

Thanks! I'm sure that this should solve the worn belt issue. The problem with my belts like AMGracer said had to do with the high grip, clutch settings and the motor I was running (modded RRLL5). BTW, that motor is awesome. Tons of rip. Anyways, one full day of racing (including practice) would literally eat up my rear belts. Hopefully the urethane will help. As for the side belt, I'll probably just keep the same one as I've never had problems with that.

AMGracer (or anybody else): how's the 2005 edition doing. Any more updates? Also anybody know if the seperate pieces are available yet?
Old 02-14-2006, 01:15 PM   #9863
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to bummy

i have had my car now, and raced nearly half a season, and not once have i had problems with belts. not even worn really. i dont know what ya doing to them ehehe.
bummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:53 PM   #9864
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Less free, odd. Is it more durable though?
No idea. They flex less and are less pliable. The teeth seem harder........
Old 02-14-2006, 02:59 PM   #9865
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks! I'm sure that this should solve the worn belt issue. The problem with my belts like AMGracer said had to do with the high grip, clutch settings and the motor I was running (modded RRLL5). BTW, that motor is awesome. Tons of rip. Anyways, one full day of racing (including practice) would literally eat up my rear belts. Hopefully the urethane will help. As for the side belt, I'll probably just keep the same one as I've never had problems with that.

AMGracer (or anybody else): how's the 2005 edition doing. Any more updates? Also anybody know if the seperate pieces are available yet?
I never worked out whether the pulley failed then the belt, or the other way around. I also have never had a problem with the side and front belts.

2005 is good stuff. Nothing really to report other than it is fast. As I said I went to a track that I have raced at only 2 times and qualified 2nd out of 20ish pro nitro entries on my first night. I was beaten by a MTX3, but I suspect that he knew the track better (he was racing there for years) and my clutch was slipping for the entire final and I missed him by 2 seconds. I would say that if you can drive you should be able to hang with MTX3/4 driven by people the same skill level as yourself without too much trouble.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:00 PM   #9866
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bummy
i have had my car now, and raced nearly half a season, and not once have i had problems with belts. not even worn really. i dont know what ya doing to them ehehe.
You need a lot of horsepower, high grip, and a really hard clutch to strip them out.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:15 PM   #9867
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGRacer
You need a lot of horsepower, high grip, and a really hard clutch to strip them out.

Yes...the particular track we were on was really tight and technical so alot of brake/throttle action. I was using a the RRLL5 with 30% nitro and a c5 plug. sometimes a c4 plug when it was cooler. Also using 30K diff fluid in the rear with a one way.

I never found out what the problem was. Was it the pulley that went first of the belt. I suspect the belt though.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:44 PM   #9868
Tech Master

Quote:
Yes...the particular track we were on was really tight and technical so alot of brake/throttle action. I was using a the RRLL5 with 30% nitro and a c5 plug. sometimes a c4 plug when it was cooler. Also using 30K diff fluid in the rear with a one way.

I never found out what the problem was. Was it the pulley that went first of the belt. I suspect the belt though.
a one way on a tight technical track?
onnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:54 PM   #9869
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
Welp, I think I'll definately get a nice digital servo for my R40. The hi 945 seems good, but...ehhhh...mehh...I'll get another JR Z9000s ! It costs $105, but well worth it. The urge to drive the R40 with the 30% is really growing...I must RUN! Snow is on the way for the weekend. Anyway, I didn't get the pexi glass since it was too expensive so I picked this up for $8 and all I need are guages. WOOHOO!!! Lastely, just need a tire truer though I got plenty of time. I pretty much go out for a run when I have time anyway as well as weather permitting.

nice cars everyone, i cant wait till i can drive my r40.
ozpall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:44 PM   #9870
Tech Master

I run the urethane belts on my Racer2 and the drag of the belt was noticable. I think the stiffness of the belt makes it so the drivetrain doesn't freewheel as easily. I think that with power applied, the urethane is smoother and transfers more power because it doesn't stretch as much as a rubber belt.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote