R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-23-2006, 05:11 PM   #9691
Tech Rookie

Hey people

I am from the netherlands and own a R40 for 1 month now, here i am just one off the very few that drive a R40 so no others to compare settings etc..

From day 1 i have the problem that my R40 doesnt run straight, all settings are tried but nothing works

I was told this is a problem that happens to the R40 more often? If yes does anybody heard what caused the problem and how it was solved?
I am at the point that i dont wanna spend anymore more money in this bottomless pitt...i mailed HPI Europe several times but no reply, is service in the states better as here in Europe?

description off the problem:

After setting servo and everything to neutral i run the car, it pulls to the left..
I use the subtrim to get it running straight, need about 18 turns to right on the trim. I drive 40 mtr back to pitlane and check the line the car runs..it pulls to the right! Adjust the trim back a couple to lets say 12 and make another short run...check it again and it pulls left again!! I can do that all day without getting 1 single straight run....
Servosaver was replaced, bought digital servo's and a Kopropo EX10 Helios radio, changed to several types off tyres....and much more..
I dont know what to do anymore so i am now asking people on the other end off the planet for advice now.

If you got tips or just reply's...i would love to get some feedback!

Greetz, Ron
justforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:18 PM   #9692
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Chris West

Hmmmm.......... I never had this problem before when I used to have my r40

is it happening just on power or off power aswell????
Old 01-23-2006, 05:23 PM   #9693
Tech Regular

you could try tightening the servo saver also check that there is no extra load on each of the wheels in both directions
Old 01-23-2006, 05:41 PM   #9694
Tech Rookie

It happens on both on and off power..servosaver is swapped and tried tighter setting, servo comes back to neutral very nice. Servo's react to the smallest moves on the radiowheel, front wheels are set a bit toe-out and have some space to move (very little tho)

I dindt expect to get the problem solved here (although i have a slight hope ) but am wondering how many people have this problem, here just very few people race this car, it's all serpent and 1:8 scale more and more

This car could be a real good one with the novarossi nsr12s3 and tuned pipe on it, it's awfull fast if you could handle the "pulling" to the sides
I dont wanna switch to serpent because i see this car has good prospects to be competetive with the serpents and it would be nice to drive a different car amongst all that serpent power
Thanks sofar!! keep your good advice coming!

Ron
justforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:08 PM   #9695

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

The dreaded r40 steering problem. I think a lot of us have had that problem , sadly no one really knows the fix. I have some weird stuff that I have done to remove slop from the r40 steering posted many many pages ago...probably 8-10 months ago at least.

Many say tighten steering servo. I will have to bust out cause my old r40 had that problem and I replaced a lot of things and this helped. Then I got a new r40 , everything ran fine until my last race it went wrong. I then swapped servos and I think its good again.

But it probably was not the servo. Who really knows and it can be aggrivating. Iam going to be calling hpi and a few friends who are knowledgable on this car to see if we cant solve this problem once and for all.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:31 PM   #9696
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

I had the same issue too..though it seems that it wen't away. Really odd that it just magically went away as quickly as it came about.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:33 PM   #9697
Tech Elite

I've personally never had this one, but quite a few people on this forum have. There is no way to solve this one over the internet as each person seems to do something different to solve theirs in each case. Fortunately it is quite easy to solve if you are observant.

The steering mechanism is a sliding rack attached to a servo saver in the right hand support which attaches to a long linkage and then the servo. There are only limited places where the mechanism can have signifiant "slop". What you need to do is simulate operating conditions by firmly holding one wheel and operating the servo. Obviously be careful doing this, but if you do this you should be able to observe the servo saver move and the linkage and rack move. What you initially should do is ensure your servo horn returns to the same location after load has been applied. I had an old JR that crapped out and would centre like a dream under no load, but was miles off when re-centred under load.

If the servo is centring under load, then carefully observe the servo saver. I suspect that it is too loose myself, and it is "breaking away" as it should but there is insufficient spring tension on it to return the servo saver back to the exact 90 degree orientation. You should be able to visually see this very quickly. The only other thing that could cause the problem is the bearings could be not correctly riding in the drag plate, but this is unlikely.

Smear some grease on the mating faces of the servo saver before you put it back together to eliminate some friction.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:34 PM   #9698
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
I had the same issue too..though it seems that it wen't away. Really odd that it just magically went away as quickly as it came about.
I suspect that most of the problems are caused by the mating surfaces of the servo saver binding on each other, and that after some operating time they "smooth out".
Old 01-23-2006, 10:10 PM   #9699
Tech Master

Some others have had a problem with the bell cranks lifting up on the shaft. This can happen sometimes depending on the angle of the turnbuckles. You should be able to see the problem if you do like AMG reccomended.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:20 PM   #9700
Tech Regular

what toe angles are you running on the front and rear. the car can steer when the weight transfer goes from one side to the other, this effect is more common when you use too much in or out, well thats what i found when i did some inital testing when i had mine.

Chris
Old 01-23-2006, 10:23 PM   #9701
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to bummy

would you all like me to tell you what the problem is?
ok i will be nice. this fixed mine along with tightining the servo saver.
take the front diff out pull it apart and lube the small o-rings on the drive cups. they tend to dry up, more then the other side, and cause friction and slow it down on power or of power. this fixed mine cheers.
bummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:29 PM   #9702
Tech Regular

how do you know he is using a diff in the front
Old 01-23-2006, 10:42 PM   #9703
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to bummy

well i dont i guess, but when i put diff in front of mine that is when the problem came. not with a one way. but i guess the one way could be slipping a little more in one side then the other. and that could do it maybe.
but yeah a front diff is what caused mine cheers.
might help
it helped me.
bummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:43 PM   #9704
Tech Regular

ok fair enough
Old 01-23-2006, 10:51 PM   #9705
Tech Elite

Yeah true enuff bummy it could be the diff or slipping oneway bearing. Or binding suspension, hung shock, incorrect droop, dirt in the pivotballs, unbalanced/damaged foam tire, siezed bearings...................... Incredibly difficult to diagnose on this one on the net unfortunately.

But I can say with certainty that I have never had it. I am certainly not the worlds greatest rc mechanic or driver, but if appropriate care is taken in the build and maintenance the R40 does not inherently pull to either side same as any other pro level car.

If justforfun can post some more details on what hes tried, mayby can assist further................