R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-17-2006, 01:19 PM   #9646
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minus
Please

Where can i buy complete centax+flywheel for my R40
I'm don't see a kit with all of the parts, but you can order the seperate parts from www.towerhobbies.com

I know some people are using the flywheel, clutch and clutch bell from Mugen on there R40.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:23 PM   #9647

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

You can get mugen mtx-3 clutch kit for less than $50 , try ace-hobbies.com.

http://www.acehardwarehobbies.com/2....oducts_id=4407

There is also the mtx-4 kit , not sure if it fits perfect like the 3 , but its a few dollars more and might be worth a look into. Im sure its updated somewhat.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:11 AM   #9648
Tech Initiate

Many thanks you save me.

I have one engine (Top NSR3 by Mario Rossi) and as I will buy a second of it (Falcon or Ninja by Mario Rossi), I must put a clutch on this new engine.

This will be a Mugen Clutch.
Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:22 PM   #9649
Tech Master

my r40 feels spoiled now thanks to http://pro-hobby.net
onnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:55 AM   #9650
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
You can get mugen mtx-3 clutch kit for less than $50 , try ace-hobbies.com.

http://www.acehardwarehobbies.com/2....oducts_id=4407

There is also the mtx-4 kit , not sure if it fits perfect like the 3 , but its a few dollars more and might be worth a look into. Im sure its updated somewhat.
Thats a good question. I have been looking at the UFO clutch from K factory and it looks really good. They have a version for the G4s and the RRR and very soon for the mtx-4. I think its a good design.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:22 AM   #9651

Ill have to look into it. Iam actually looking into a lot of one off parts like this, I guess thats what you call it , or hybrid parts.

Anyways , Im already onto something really cool, just gotta order it , sadly my order from this place overseas is probably going out tommorrow and I dont want to order another small order a few days later.

But once I test it out , its pretty cool and something I believe we need more availability of. I also noticed a few other things that you can try with your clutch.

Basically mugen makes a red clutch disc , this one is softer. Iam going to try this sucker out and hope it makes a difference with my old slippy clutch which for the life of me wont engage at low-rpm. Maybe im just not seeing what im doing , but im about to toss the thing in the trash and just go all mtx from here on out with my r40's.

Another thing is mugen just came out with a yellow disc , not sure what properties it takes on , but cant find anyone with even it yet.

Also wondering , what other clutch's have people tried. I heard the kyosho RRR works as well...but then again maybe not. Also serpent has some other discs that I was wondering if they would fit. Im going to figure something out here very soon.

The other cool things is 3racing also makes a lot of very nice looking option parts for the mtx-4 , I believe even some lightweight clutch bells and things like that. If thats so , you can then get a really lightweight bell to help add to the lightweight side of things , tranny and chassis.

Basically nothing new will be coming out for the r40. I can almost gurnatee that. All we have to look forward to now is hara/05 conversions.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:45 AM   #9652
Tech Master

Sounds good. I actually raced last sunday. 1st time in 7 or 8 months My clutch was engaging a bit late, but I didn't try adjusting it. I had enough problems finding the right tires and keeping my son's car on the track at the same time. We had only 6 heats so the race went really fast. Still, I qualified 5th of 9 running 20 laps. TQ was 25 laps set by a guy that I know is smoking fast, so I was pretty happy. In the main I got my car caught in a gap in the track boarder comming onto the straight and I tore the left rear arm and hinge pin out of the bulkhead. It was the first thing to really break on the car. I'm going to try and get my engagement point lowered before the next race. I'll let you know how it goes. I also need to install my mugen grey clutch shoe thats been sitting in a bag for months.

On another note, does anybody know of a shop that is stocking the Hara chassis, upper deck and tank? I was thinking of upgrading both my cars to 2004 spec, (one of them is 99% there, the other is stock) and realized it probably wouldn't cost much more to go with the Hara version parts.

Lastly, don't you ever go to sleep AI? Its almost 1:00 am where I am. I guess I should talk huh?
Old 01-19-2006, 02:06 AM   #9653

Almost 4:00am here. LOL. Also since im bored I figure ill give you guys some insight on the parts im looking at before checking it to see if its worth a mention. Normally I dont like bringing up stuff im up to unless Ive got the full scoop myself , just so I dont bring any bogus info around.

But here goes:

3racing makes titanium pivotballs for the mugen , as well the RRR. They cost like $22 dollars for the full set. Best price ive seen for anything titanium in that amount. The stock set from the same place is like $80 , the same as our hpi set...which we actually do have but no one sells except precisionrc.

Only thing , we have 8.9mm pivot balls , they have 9.0mm , im thinking its a safe bet for those with plastic arms , but for me , who seems to be the only guy with the CG arms...guess cause I was able to get my arms working freely. Im not sure how the mugen balls will fit when there wasnt much play or give in the first place.

Next I swore I saw it for the mugen , but there is a 3racing clutch bell for the RRR , lightweight , as well there is a lightweight aluminum clutch plate.

Then the final kicker , there is an RRR composite pillow ball set , the set im probably going to try. Anyways , talk about weight savings and dont they look awesome.

Then they have some hard coated light gears from kfactory. Almost too much cool stuff to list, wish we had some aftermarket support like this. Oh well if it can adapt ill be happy.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:31 AM   #9654
Tech Initiate

Quote:
but for me , who seems to be the only guy with the CG arms...
You're not alone i have these parts too
Old 01-19-2006, 02:16 PM   #9655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minus
You're not alone i have these parts too
I checked out your website yesterday. Its hard to understand french, but It seems to have quite a few option parts on it. Looks very nice. Are you going to stick with the stock chassis?

Have you gotten to run the r40 yet on a track?
Old 01-20-2006, 01:09 AM   #9656
Tech Initiate

My website is not up to date.

In August, I bought and equipped my car with:

Lightweight super chassis (3mm/7075/gun metal).
Light weight 2 speed transmission set (0.8M).
and Mugen MTX3 shock spring.

I will update my Website in the two weeks with new pictures.

The weight of the car is 1720 g with new tyres and without the body.

2005 were my first year of competition with 2 regional races and 1 national race, thus a year of training.

Now I am ready to fight Mugen MTX4, Serpent 710 and Kyosho RRR in tracks.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:20 AM   #9657
Tech Regular

Im getting rid of my r40 to purchase other goodies. It has the HPI lightweigth chasis, cf shock towers, cf side brace, one-way in front, alum rear blocks, titanium steering links, graphite arms and hubs, graphite bumper brace, gray mugen clutch shoes, 1400mah battery and extra parts, gears. You guys know how much upgrades costs so I won't even list them. I'm asking for $150 for the car.

I'm also selling a Novak synthesized module for Airtronics M8 + 2 Novak synthesized reciever + 1 Novak mini reciever. If purchased separately, it would cost about $270 - $300. I'm selling the set for $150.

Local buyers only. I'm located in Pomona, California. PM me if interested.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:28 AM   #9658
Tech Master

dnitro, YGPM
Old 01-20-2006, 05:10 AM   #9659
Tech Elite

Quote:
Ill have to look into it. Iam actually looking into a lot of one off parts like this, I guess thats what you call it , or hybrid parts.

Anyways , Im already onto something really cool, just gotta order it , sadly my order from this place overseas is probably going out tommorrow and I dont want to order another small order a few days later.

But once I test it out , its pretty cool and something I believe we need more availability of. I also noticed a few other things that you can try with your clutch.

Basically mugen makes a red clutch disc , this one is softer. Iam going to try this sucker out and hope it makes a difference with my old slippy clutch which for the life of me wont engage at low-rpm. Maybe im just not seeing what im doing , but im about to toss the thing in the trash and just go all mtx from here on out with my r40's.

Another thing is mugen just came out with a yellow disc , not sure what properties it takes on , but cant find anyone with even it yet.

Also wondering , what other clutch's have people tried. I heard the kyosho RRR works as well...but then again maybe not. Also serpent has some other discs that I was wondering if they would fit. Im going to figure something out here very soon.

The other cool things is 3racing also makes a lot of very nice looking option parts for the mtx-4 , I believe even some lightweight clutch bells and things like that. If thats so , you can then get a really lightweight bell to help add to the lightweight side of things , tranny and chassis.

Basically nothing new will be coming out for the r40. I can almost gurnatee that. All we have to look forward to now is hara/05 conversions.
I have been using Mugen clutches and hybrids of it for 18 months or so. The HPI clutch is perfectly fine, but I do like the bearings on the Mugen clutch better.

There are 2 major things to a clutch, shoes and spring. All other stuff is pretty incidental assuming the clutch is properly designed (which the HPI clutch is, it just could be better)

The reason to get a mugen clutch is it is cheaper and has a large range of option parts. I have a JP racing aluminium clutchbell that weighs 4 grams, you can get a whole host of clutch shoes (I currently have 4 flavours) and even spring types. Plus you can steal setups from others at the track easier.

The hot tip is the yellow or red mugen shoes, the 11mm free length 1.9mm thick spring, crank it down and unwind it 2 turns and use 0.3 to 0.5mm end float. That should break the tires away very nicely. Tune to tastes.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:02 PM   #9660

Awesome thanks for the input. What shoe has more grip/friction? Do they both wear the same?

Also the spring , is that the mugen gold spring or hard spring?