Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Anyone have any extra LW pinions they want to trade? I seem ot have a few extra 20, 26 and 27T pinions...looking for 21, 28 and 29T.

It's interesting to me that the gears can work like that. It's not so much the major diameter that determines the mesh, it's the contact area...and there's no way to fake that by making the ODs all the same.

I guess it's just a matter of keeping the lash towards the tight side, eh? Sometimes it'll be tight, sometimes it'll be loose...but it must be strong enough to work, right?
Most computer aided drawing tools can do that easy, you plug in how many teeth and the diameter and it will show you the optimal tooth shape. 0.8 module defines a tooth shape via a ratio of teeth for a given length. The actual shape of the teeth has a significant effect on how efficient the mesh is. Look at the 26 tooth pinion vs the 29 tooth pinion. The teeth are shaped in such a way that the OD remains the same but the mesh is optimised. Every spur or pinion that comforms to 0.8 module teeth shape will always mesh. Thats why I say any spur will mesh with any pinion, try them out.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fastharry
you can run any spur with any pinion....as long as they match up on the gear chart........the gaps don't need to be the same....you can run the lowest 1 st combo with the highest second...
What do you mean by match up on the chart harry? You mean that some pinions wont mesh with some spurs?

This chart shows them all as meshing for the 1.0.

http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/in...0/R40-P45o.jpg

The only one I know of that will NOT work are:

22, 23 and 24 1M 2nd gear pinions. They must be used with the 76952 2nd gear spur since the 1M teeth face area could not be "deformed" enough to keep the same OD.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Lightbulb

I have the 20/26 pinion set right now on my R40. I'll order the 21/27 sometime.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What do you mean by match up on the chart harry? You mean that some pinions wont mesh with some spurs?

I just meant use the chart so some newbie doesnt take a 2nd gear pinion and use it as a first gear pinion...
Old 12-16-2005, 10:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fastharry
I just meant use the chart so some newbie doesnt take a 2nd gear pinion and use it as a first gear pinion...
I'm with ya
Old 12-16-2005, 11:42 PM
Tech Elite

Smile

LOL!
Old 12-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Welp the R40 now has the 945MG for steering and 625mg throttle. I'll go test it out before it gets dark and if not, maybe tomorrow I'll go for a test.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I tried the 625mg servo, the only non futaba servo I tried. For some reason it was really slow and had a rebound on one of the sides. Every now and then it would just kick back in after you went left or right.

Im not sure if its cause I was using futaba rx with it....but I was amazed at how slow it was. My stock s3003 was lightning fast and responsive compared to it.

I think it was just a defect or compatibility issue....but just thought I would give you a heads up. Test the servo outside of the car first.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

Both the servos aren't new. I ran them before and just was switching them between cars. Yes, the S3003 is a great throttle servo, though I don't have anymore. I just slapped the 625mg on throttle and no problem with it at all.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:30 PM
Tech Master

never bought from here before but they do have a few r40 (including cf towers and one way) parts and they're all 50% off...

http://www.fastnfuriousrc.com/all_prodmanf.php
Old 12-20-2005, 11:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

http://www.pro-hobby.net/tech/setup/...etup_sheet.jpg

Here is the Akira R40 Setup sheet from the 2004 edition kit as promised.

Enjoy.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

just got my upgrades today..
cf towers
cf side brace
lw shafts
hpi lw chassis
solid axle

didnt get the lw 2speed yet but that will be next...

what a difference between the stock chassis and the lw chassis.. its like night and day.

I've thought about doing the aluminum shocks but I've never had a prob with the stock ones so I dont see a need for them other than the bling factor..

I didnt install the solid axle yet because I want to see if I can tell a difference in handling with the lighter parts..
Old 12-21-2005, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

The solid axle is lighter than the stock diff, but also makes both rear wheels spin at the same rate whether you're going straight, turning, etc. You notice a big difference in acceleration when using the LW 2speed with LW shafts. The chassis also knocks off 30grams I believe and the shock towers knock off a total of 6 or 8 grams. I'll try to find that conversion for ya. BTW everyone my LW chassis came in! I'm go to purchase it tomorrow and see if the oneway and brace is in as well.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by onnetz
just got my upgrades today..
cf towers
cf side brace
lw shafts
hpi lw chassis
solid axle

didnt get the lw 2speed yet but that will be next...

what a difference between the stock chassis and the lw chassis.. its like night and day.

I've thought about doing the aluminum shocks but I've never had a prob with the stock ones so I dont see a need for them other than the bling factor..

I didnt install the solid axle yet because I want to see if I can tell a difference in handling with the lighter parts..
Did you order from that fast and furious web site? Those part are pretty cheap.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
The solid axle is lighter than the stock diff, but also makes both rear wheels spin at the same rate whether you're going straight, turning, etc. You notice a big difference in acceleration when using the LW 2speed with LW shafts. The chassis also knocks off 30grams I believe and the shock towers knock off a total of 6 or 8 grams. I'll try to find that conversion for ya. BTW everyone my LW chassis came in! I'm go to purchase it tomorrow and see if the oneway and brace is in as well.
If I use the solid axle, I'm going to use it up front as a spool.. gonna launch out of the corner...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.