Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 05:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dark_one22
okay im going crazy!!!! in the manual im on page 22, step 24.. Where your suppose to screw thos thing on top of the spring.. but i cant get it to catch... i cant compress it enough... anyone have a trick to doing this??
When i was building my old one I used a vice to compress the spring for a couple of minutes then took it out and put it in place and it was alot easier and the spring will take a bit to stretch itself back out but it worked and thats how i did it.

Chris
Old 12-15-2005, 10:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

OK...here's what should be an easy question for the experienced guys out there...

Just bought another R40 that came with a bunch of spares...and gears. Well, it came with a bunch of pinions...spurs are all wiped, so I'm going to buy some tomorrow.

Anyways...I want to play around with the ratios a bit and I'm wondering if these things have to be changed in any particular pairs.

Say the stock LW 1st gear is 22/60, do I have to use a certain pair of gears in relation to the 2nd gear in order to keep the lash right for both? I downloaded the gear chart for the LW set and it says nothing about what works with what.

I had a 2-speed deal on my old Sport-2 and they had sets that had to be used...or they said the number of teeth had to add up the same. number for both gears. Same deal here???

You guys that run at Revelation...what gears do you run? My car seems to have pretty good top end there, but not so good down low. I'm a noob with nitro, so I don't know if it's a motor or gear thing. I'm doing a parking lot race this weekend, and I was thinking that lower gears would be good.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bummy
there is a huge difference have a look were the servo mounts for steering. and reciever is no longer on left side in a box, alloy antenna mount so instead of hitting your servo now we hit ther reciever nice. good thinking there.
I realise those differences. What I mean was what is the difference between 816 and 818. The US Hara version looks very similar to the Japanese 2005 edition.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
OK...here's what should be an easy question for the experienced guys out there...

Just bought another R40 that came with a bunch of spares...and gears. Well, it came with a bunch of pinions...spurs are all wiped, so I'm going to buy some tomorrow.

Anyways...I want to play around with the ratios a bit and I'm wondering if these things have to be changed in any particular pairs.

Say the stock LW 1st gear is 22/60, do I have to use a certain pair of gears in relation to the 2nd gear in order to keep the lash right for both? I downloaded the gear chart for the LW set and it says nothing about what works with what.

I had a 2-speed deal on my old Sport-2 and they had sets that had to be used...or they said the number of teeth had to add up the same. number for both gears. Same deal here???

You guys that run at Revelation...what gears do you run? My car seems to have pretty good top end there, but not so good down low. I'm a noob with nitro, so I don't know if it's a motor or gear thing. I'm doing a parking lot race this weekend, and I was thinking that lower gears would be good.
Yes you can use any gear with any spur in the 0.8 module gearbox. What they cunningly do is slightly alter the face of the teeth so that it remains 0.8 module in size even with a different teeth count. So any spur meshes with any pinion and you can have any number of teeth gap between pinions. Clever no?
Old 12-15-2005, 10:57 PM
Tech Elite

Really??? Wow...that would really make it easy, eh?

Thanks!

The car I got had both spurs blown away. I heard from one of the HPI guys that you need to run the LW stuff really tight. Anyone had an issue (stripped gears)?
Old 12-15-2005, 11:09 PM
Tech Master

I dont know how it is with the lw 2speed but with the stock spurs and pinions the odd numbers will match up but you need to be more careful on how you setup the mesh..
Old 12-16-2005, 04:11 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I ws on the cell phone with treky11 when we were chatting......and he may have misunderstood me......I meant that Hara is still racing for HPI AND hot bodies........but the comapny as a whole is more geared to the electric on road racing(and always has been)....and now is ramping up the off road stuff with the hellfire coming out.......when I saw the 2005 edition,I though they may have taken his name off the kit because they want him concentrating on the off road stuff,,,,,

as it turns out,I talked to thad,and he said the 2005 kit is probably a japanese car.......(no sense touting a hara sponsored,ROAR winning champ car is japan,right?..)
Old 12-16-2005, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Wow , lots of good info lately. Good to see some of you guys back and posting again.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Lightbulb

Yeah. Too bad the ground isn't dry otherwise I'd be able to test my R40 and the new gear.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

OK...went to HPI today and got the skinny on the two speed gears...and some gears from Ultimate.

Whatever "spread" you have b/w pinions or spurs, you have to keep the same spread in the corresponding gear.

54/60 spur in the LW...6 tooth spread...needs a 6 tooth spread in the pinion. You could run 20/26, 21/27, 22/28 with that set of spurs. 52/60 spurs (8T spread) would use 20/28, 21/29...and so on...

I think you might be able to fudge a little on the 1.0 gears, but the advice I got from Andy back when I first got the car was to keep the lash tight on the LW gears.

Got a pinion wrench, too.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
OK...went to HPI today and got the skinny on the two speed gears...and some gears from Ultimate.

Whatever "spread" you have b/w pinions or spurs, you have to keep the same spread in the corresponding gear.

54/60 spur in the LW...6 tooth spread...needs a 6 tooth spread in the pinion. You could run 20/26, 21/27, 22/28 with that set of spurs. 52/60 spurs (8T spread) would use 20/28, 21/29...and so on...

I think you might be able to fudge a little on the 1.0 gears, but the advice I got from Andy back when I first got the car was to keep the lash tight on the LW gears.

Got a pinion wrench, too.
I can guarantee you that you can run any pinion with any spur on the 0.8 module gears, I have done it many times. You of course need to be more careful with the mesh.

Do this, measure the OD of the pinions and spurs. They are the same. If the OD is the same then they are all going to fit regardless of the number of teeth, but of course some "odd combinations" will result in higer friction.

I started with 21/26 the other night (forget the spurs) and went to 21/27 then 21/28 in the end. All without changing mesh or spurs.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:26 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, the OD is the same alright...it looks like they just turn down the OD of the higher-tooth pinions to the same OD as the smaller tooth pinions. The smaller ones have teeth that are "as broached" and the larger ones are machined.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

If anyone needs some stock 2-speed parts...I have the stock setup, a pair of green pinions and a small gold one...plus an extra nut. $20 shipped priority, less if shipped parcel post. Make me an offer and it's yours.

This car came with WAY too many spares.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

you can run any spur with any pinion....as long as they match up on the gear chart........the gaps don't need to be the same....you can run the lowest 1 st combo with the highest second...
Old 12-16-2005, 06:51 PM
Tech Elite

Anyone have any extra LW pinions they want to trade? I seem ot have a few extra 20, 26 and 27T pinions...looking for 21, 28 and 29T.

It's interesting to me that the gears can work like that. It's not so much the major diameter that determines the mesh, it's the contact area...and there's no way to fake that by making the ODs all the same.

I guess it's just a matter of keeping the lash towards the tight side, eh? Sometimes it'll be tight, sometimes it'll be loose...but it must be strong enough to work, right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.