Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 10:23 AM
Tech Initiate

i was looking at some tools today and was wondering

1: what sizes does the r40 use? standard or metric?

2: whats good set of tools, certain brand over anther?
Old 12-01-2005, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Standard r40 uses philips. If you get the 2004 or lightweight screw kit. I highly reccomend a nice set of hex drivers.

I got a set from integy. Another one of their good offerings for a cheap price. But seriously im not an integy lover , this is the only 2 things I have from them really.

But a review of my ti-nitride hex drivers. They are amazing. I thought they would have started to wear , but no. Also once you get that with the ti hex screws. I finally understood why everyone calls this pro. I always thought philips had the benefit of being able to get out even though its slightly messed up.

I always had problems with crappy hex keys and hex screws stripping. With the ti set and the ti-nitride wrenches. Its amazing , I can torque down any screw to the max and havent had anything even begin to strip. Everything is like its fresh from the box.

Where as first install of the philips would have been step one towards the grave.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:24 PM
Tech Initiate

yeah i dont wanna put the phillip screws on it because i remember having some screws strip on me back in the day. I plan on picking up a screw kit from rcscrewz.com. (those are the ones that have allens right) and do i get metric or standard wrenchs? not sure which ones im suppose to be looking at.. becuase they say stainless, but do they also have different ends
Old 12-01-2005, 02:46 PM
Tech Regular

Personally I steer clear of stainless steel screws after having way to many strip out or just bend at the worst possible moments or had one manf. claim it was because I was useing inferior tools to remove my screws, causing them to strip out unlikly that my expensive wrenchs that are certified and proven reliable by thousands of mechanics across the country and the world are inferiour.

any way the choice is your on what screws you want to run.
as for what allen wrenches you will want metric

Hudy , Integey , Losi , Ofna as well as many others all make very good hex wrenchs that come in R/C specific sizes mainly 1mm all the way up to 3mm.
you could also go with snap-on , craftsman , husky , mac just to name a few but unless you really need all the extras stick with the hobby specific tool kits.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:00 PM
Tech Initiate

i just bought a set of integy ti-nitride hex drivers (7pc) now i have to figure out which screw set to get...

Can i just get the screw set thats for the r40 on rcscrewz.com and will those work with the new wrenchs right, I dont want to order the light weight ones that are phillips... thanks.. any links would be great...
Old 12-01-2005, 04:38 PM
Tech Adept

So hardened steel hudy(or another brand) or Ti-nitride Integy... I thought hardened steel would last longer right? yea its a pain stripping screws here...left and right they go out and my spares are starting to dwindle...
Old 12-01-2005, 04:56 PM
Tech Elite

Im not sure which is better. But the integy was cheap , like 19.99 for the set of 7.

The ones you ordered should have metric and standard. As for lightweight phillips im not sure if I follow you. The lightweight ti screws for the r40 from hpi are metrix hex screws. They will work perfect with your integy set.

One thing though I know there is two kits one has 6 , another 7. One has the 2.0mm metric wrench which I think the majority of the lw screws are.

Maybe someone can verify that. Well anyways with my kit , which let me see........yup its the 6pc. So you should get the 2.0mm which is the only thing my 6 pc kit was missing. So your good to go.

Yeah I didnt want to say anything about my integy ti nitride set at first until I worked on it for awhile. But still to this day the ends can just jam into screws and its so tight. I then rip it out and think , yikes it must of worn it that time....nope. Or I see grey appear and im like uhhh ohh finally got some of it off. Then I just rub it and it goes back to gold. Im pretty amazed at how long they last and another good thing the replacement tips are cheap and pretty widely availble online and ebay.

But again the price was the major seller. Another thing I like is they are colored different. But im overly happy with how well they have held up. Its like they are still 99.9% new.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Tech Initiate

yeah I got the 7pc set... and what I ment about the screws, was I thought they were still phillips, but im all clear on that now.. and know that they will work with the new tools... thank you....

Edit: Wow 80 for the screw kit from hpi.. no way!!! Ill stick with a kit from rcsrewz..

Also ill be picking the upgraded shock set from hpi soon and wanted to know if there was some type of spring kit to buy that brings different options for springs, or do we need to buy them all seprate..?
Old 12-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

If your going with new ones. Get the competition shocks. They are the v2 of the regular aluminum ones.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLMD7&P=7

You can inspect them here.

Vs the regulars.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVB85&P=7

Its only a $2 dollar difference per pair or $4 a set.

Also for springs youll want these to go along with the black stock ones you already have.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=HPIC1180&P=Z

Youll find them listed here. They are the gold and silver spring sets. They are pretty cheap and worth picking up and trying stuff with. Also the link above also has a lot of other r40 parts.

Another thing some try is the red proceed rear spring. Allthough some say it has some fitment issues, it seems to work good for me.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Tech Adept

oh yea steel is magenetic...thats a minor plus i guess...Although i do just need 2 mm and 2.5 mm as they are the majority with the exception of that 1.5 mm grub screw here and there.

Anyone see those new "armored" screws from hexcrews...they look beastly. That in combo with some nice drivers will definatly last long. If the steel is so high in tensile strength and what not maybe you could hollow them out to save weight...i might experiment if i dont break drill bits on them first.

Working on some CAD drawings for a chassi. It would be nice if i had the Hara dimensions to incorperate some design into it.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

You can order it direct from buy hpi , its in stock. I was going to get it yesterday but 99.99 is too rich for my blood , ill wait till it comes out somewhere else cheaper.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
If your going with new ones. Get the competition shocks. They are the v2 of the regular aluminum ones.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLMD7&P=7

You can inspect them here.

Vs the regulars.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVB85&P=7

Its only a $2 dollar difference per pair or $4 a set.

Also for springs youll want these to go along with the black stock ones you already have.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=HPIC1180&P=Z

Youll find them listed here. They are the gold and silver spring sets. They are pretty cheap and worth picking up and trying stuff with. Also the link above also has a lot of other r40 parts.

Another thing some try is the red proceed rear spring. Allthough some say it has some fitment issues, it seems to work good for me.
Thanks for the great information, you have been of great help to me, if at any point i start to become annoying just lmk... haha

Also, I looking at the hara chassis for a future upgrade, I would need other parts as well in order for it to work correct? And if so anyone know which parts are needed in order to use the new hara chassis.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Talking

I'd slap on Mugen shocks. STronger and cost the same price.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Tech Initiate

well I just answered myself...

In order to use the Upper deck (R40 HARA EDITION) & super chassis (R40 HARA EDITION), you need to get

http://www.hpiracing.com/Merchant2/m...Category_Code=

and

http://www.hpiracing.com/Merchant2/m...Category_Code=

damn I want that chassis but at 99, I think ill wait a little bit for it to get around to other shops..
Old 12-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Lightbulb

I'm gonna stay with my R40 the way it is and purchase the front oneway and LW chassis. That's all I need for my ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.