R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-24-2003, 11:48 AM   #901
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by treky11
Well, I think the R40 is by far the easiest belt car to work on.
I totally agree!!!!
mr.lunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 01:12 PM   #902
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to icon

rc_alan: usually i dont knock on peoples comments, but whatsup with the continual reiteration of your points?

also the car is not even close to RTR. first of all an RTR is ready to run, usually comes with radio, engine, etc which clearly the R40 is not. if you are talking about quality issues, then perhaps you could be right, but from what i've heard other people say (besides you) the plastic is much improved over HPI's past cars (like the RTR line that you keep referencing). and i've never had a problem with fit and finish from HPI.

and ease of maintenance you have to give props to HPI & serpent for finally seeing the light and making the diffs easier to reach. perhaps you like taking out more screws of the car to reach a diff, but from a lot of other peoples views the R40 & 710's would be easier to work on than say a V One RR, MTX-3, etc. this shouldnt even be a discussion. just look at what holds the entire bulkhead of the V One RR and the MTX. you have to get to those screws to separate the two halves in order to remove the diff unit from the bulkhead.

BTW, owning a lot of car doesnt make you objective. it makes you more experienced with different cars but you'll still form an opinion.

and it is quite clear that you dont think so highly of the R40 since you keep nagging us how other cars are so much better. maybe you shouldnt have bought the R40 since you dont like it that much and find so much flaws.
icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 01:44 PM   #903
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by C0NTENDER
Hey, I don't even use the battery box.
Why is that?
Old 11-24-2003, 01:59 PM   #904
Tech Addict

maybe he meant the receiver box???

isnt the battery tray (box) necessary in order for the battery to stay under there. plus i would think it'd give the rx pack protection against scrapes.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:41 PM   #905
Tech Fanatic

Icon... My last post was for Darkseid, but for all to read as well.... Read and you will see what I was trying to say clearly about the R40. I'm not a hommer for any company and I do understand that HPI has alot of fans here.. Mainly those who owned a HPI product before... May have been someones first purchase... HPI step up and made a good 1/10 200mm sedan.

Your question why do I reiterate my points... It's becasue someone has asked me a question about something I posted, did not understand my point the first time or something along those lines... I hope that's clear now... To say I should have never bought a R40 because I have comments about the car. Come on now... Not trying to flame anyone and please don't try it here either. If there is something you don't understand ask me, but to reply and insinuate something I meant and it's not the truth is not cool. I really wonder just how many people here really have the R40. Darksied is doing the right things by researching and asking questions. Any car will drive for you if set up and dialed in correctly... Some are just alittle better then others. That's my point. And as for the ease of which the R40 is to work on... The R40 is no easier to work then most of the top RC nitro cars out today. We should not post things as fact just because we have read them in some magazine... Build a few cars yourself and you'll see. The more cars you build, use a setup station and huddy board, the easier it gets. Buy the R40 if you haven't already. Either you know how to wrench on a car or you don't. Do I know everything about the Nitro RC hobby??? No way... I'm trying to learn as much as the next guy and passing on tips and info to those who ask or don't know the answer to a question... That's all.

For those who want to check out some of my creations.. I have pics of my R40, N4TEC and my Euro Maxx NTC3 with the TRX 2.5 in it from the T-MAXX...

http://community.webshots.com/user/rc_alan
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 08:01 PM   #906
Tech Regular

as far as working on. no other belt car out now has such easy access to the diffs an to change the belts. the new 710 will have easy diff access but by looking at the pics the mid shaft and 2 speed shaft will be the same pain to get to as every other belt car. setting up any of them is the same, but the R40 is definetly easier to change the belts on and easier than any other car out there.

i swapped out both the drive shafts on my R40 from the lite weight to the stock in 15 minutes. and that is not lie, 15 minutes to change both. try that with any other belt car out now. good luck. (and i did it because of the rules, not because i wanted the stock shafts)
treky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 08:06 PM   #907
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
as far as working on. no other belt car out now has such easy access to the diffs an to change the belts. the new 710 will have easy diff access but by looking at the pics the mid shaft and 2 speed shaft will be the same pain to get to as every other belt car. setting up any of them is the same, but the R40 is definetly easier to change the belts on and easier than any other car out there.

i swapped out both the drive shafts on my R40 from the lite weight to the stock in 15 minutes. and that is not lie, 15 minutes to change both. try that with any other belt car out now. good luck. (and i did it because of the rules, not because i wanted the stock shafts)

and I second that.........(HI PAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 08:15 PM   #908
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Congrats burito!

A win is a win, and obviously Mugen and others thought enough of the race to run it too.

FYI - I think its important too because a lot of people still run rubber tires at local tracks and its nice to see the R40 is good with them too.

Evolution, why don't you stop trying to bash people before you have your facts. Engage the brain, before starting your mouth/keyboard. Take the defintion of your name seriously "A gradual process in which something changes into a different and usually more complex or better form". You seem to constantly bash lately and this isn't better for any of us.

well treky,your wrong on that...I looked up the definition..

it's this:::
. offensive term: an offensive term that deliberately insults somebody’s intelligence ( slang insult )

oh,I'm sorry....I looked up the wrong word...It's just that when I think of evo(loser),one word comes to mind...

jackass [ ják ass ] (plural jackasses)

noun

1. zoology male ass: a male donkey or ass ( slang )

2. offensive term: an offensive term that deliberately insults somebody’s intelligence ( slang insult )

there,I got it now...

Last edited by fastharry™; 11-24-2003 at 08:33 PM.
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 10:36 PM   #909
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

rc_alan,

You have a ntc3? How would you compare it to the R40?
C0NTENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 11:18 PM   #910
Tech Addict

rc_alan:

first of all i've built my fair share of cars. i just dont like to mention it (or feel the need to) every other posts unlike some members. to remove the front diff on a V One RR, you'll need to remove 4 screws from top plate, 4 screws to from the bottom of the chassis, 2 of the long threaded allens to remove the front shock tower brace (1 if you're lazy), and 2 more for the front body mount. add them up and thats 11-12 screws to get to a front diff. how is this the same as 6 screws from the top for the R40? this is not something i read in a magazine, since your genius detective work seems to infer this. i just looked at the R40 online manual. and dont get me started on counting screws for the rear end just so you'll finally see the point about easier maintenance.

i never made any references comparing handling or setup. i have a setup board and an mip tweak station and etc. tools. most cars take about the same time to reach an adjustment nowadays (except for differentials & on the serpent its easier to adjust dampening). the point is moot.

pass on your opinion if you want, but your points about the R40 being like an RTR and that other (older) cars are just as easy to work on are false. the newer cars like the 710 and R40 make drivetrain maintenance a heck of a lot easier. older designs like the RR, MTX-3, etc. may handle great, but if and when you need to get to the drivetrain, its much more a hassle than the two newer cars.

Last edited by icon; 11-24-2003 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:16 AM   #911
Tech Fanatic

Treky11 and Icon you both make good points about the R40... Compared to most cars, the R40 is alittle easier to work on then most three belt 1/10 cars. Treky11, as far as diffs go, the G4 rear diff takes all of 6 screws to remove the rear diff.. About 2.3 mins or less to have it out... and the front is a oneway... Check out pg 131 Oct. 2003 of RC Car Action if you have a copy. I bought both cars because of the ease of mantanance and the reviews of both car were so good. Icon, I don't have a Mugen MTX3 or a Kyosho V One RR. Both are good cars and handle very well from what I've seen, but never driven one or wrench on one myself. I'm just comparing cars that I own. I've never... Never said the R40 was like an older RTR. I said the R40 with what comes in the box is just a RTR that is not put together. When people spend there hard earn money for a kit car, especially one that is now on the national seen, you would think that it would come with Team car like parts just like all the other companies do. Sure, everyone will add alittle of there own taste to there cars, but you shouldn't have to buy extra parts to bring it up to Team car spec's. I wish HPI would have 2 versions of the R40 for sell here in the US, that way you can pick which version of the car you want. I'm sure they're working on something like that.. Maybe even a Hara limited edition R40... Sound Sweet.
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 01:35 AM   #912
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
You seem to constantly bash lately and this isn't better for any of us.
Actually I didn't bash SLOWHARRY he does it all by himself !!!

The FACT is I layed off my SLOW buddy for a while so you're statement about "constant bashing lately" is one without FACT!

He took a jab at me in the 710 thread a couple weeks back and I was returning the favour with a small jab nothing more.

If he wants to make this into something bigger he can PM me and I will be happy to comfort him.He is still a bit angry because I've passed him in first gear 99 times and counting.

Last edited by EVOLUTION; 11-25-2003 at 01:42 AM.
EVOLUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 01:40 AM   #913
Tech Elite

For the owners of the R40 is the advantage of getting the diffs out of the car faster useful? I very rarely take mine out of my car, but I am interested in what others do.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 05:40 AM   #914
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

rc_alan,

I have to agree with icon, any reference you make suggesting that the R40 is like a RTR is totally off base. What would you like the R40 to come with. The only thing I recall you mentioning is a front one-way, and we have already shot that down as not being a major need since all tracks don't require a front one-way not to mention that everyone can't drive with a front one-way. So what is your list of "what should have been included"?
C0NTENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 06:04 AM   #915
Tech Regular

Apparently the kit should have come with a new pair of panties so all the whining girls in here could have a chance to unwad their current pair!
KMac is offline   Reply With Quote