R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-02-2005, 10:37 PM   #8911
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Hara / Competition Aluminum Threaded Shocks now available from HPI USA.

They sure look nice.

Those spring retainers for the bottom look good too. They sit much lower then the ones that come with the US edition kit. It gives you much more adjustment for the ride height and shock mounting positions.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:07 PM   #8912
Tech Regular

The red proceed rears are a smaller diameter (13.0mm inner diameter compared to r40's 13.5mm) and dont fit good on the stock shock spring retainers. The gold r40 rears fit perfectly and are nearly the same lb/inch (r40 gold: 29.7lb/inch, proceed red: 30.0lb/inch). Thus the same effect with better fit.

The proceed rear springs are also 2 mm longer.

Don't know why hara used red rears? Maybe the golds didnt come out then,i dont really know..maybe i shoulda asked him!

Quote:
The gold and red spring are close, but the red spring is shorter. I thought that was the reason hara uses that?
tranced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:13 PM   #8913

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

I accidently put that it was shorter. I meant to say longer.....didnt notice the difference in diameter though.

I have had no trouble with fitment though of the red proceed spring. Which also strikes me as somewhat interesting as the proceed shocks uses the exact same shock. The HPI Aluminum shock. Just different spring perch, at least it looks to be....

As for it being the exact same effect, just different fit. I wouldnt go as far to state that. You could perhaps say in your opinion its the exact same.

But because a spring has the same rate or close to it doesnt mean its the same. Especially when we know for a fact that the spring is longer and smaller in diameter. This also effects performance and numbers. Also it changes when things are happening not just the max rate... I could also attempt a wider diameter spring and a shorter one and could probably also achieve similiar rates with the same coil thickness. Basically you can make a spring rate from a number of things but there are still quite a few different ways to get there.

The actual coil diameter or thickness , size , overall diameter and length all effect spring rate. Even just the metals characteristics change that and will also effect many things throughout that rate.

If you look at progressive springs vs linear as well. Two different springs and one that has two different spring rates....but as you notice same coil diameter , but gets its extra spring rate from using tighter wound coils. Also effecting when and where the spring rate increase during the bound and rebound of the shocks.

Good news though, all that info really doesnt do us all diddly squat, unless you wanted to make your own springs. Cause all I want to know is why did hara use it? Was it due to him having not having the part or is it due to the red proceed rear giving better drive characteristics.

We do know in 9/5/2004 he had the red rears. As well during that race Thad Garner was his mechanic. Which I really think Thad would be the best to answer this. Im also wondering who was mimicking whos setup. I have a feeling its Thad who came up with the red rear.

Also given that was a year ago. Iam also guessing the spring option was out at that time. Reason why I think the red rear is better. I have tried all of them and the black front / red rear combo seems to work the best for me and fitment has never been an issue for me. I didnt even notice till you pointed it out.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 10-03-2005 at 09:24 PM.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:59 PM   #8914
Tech Regular

For me at least, the red rears get caught on the bottom spring retainers. happens with both sets of reds i have, on all of my r40 plastic spring bottom retainers.

if they didn't have this problem i'd use em, just to see the difference with the golds
Old 10-03-2005, 09:25 PM   #8915

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranced
For me at least, the red rears get caught on the bottom spring retainers. happens with both sets of reds i have, on all of my r40 plastic spring bottom retainers.

if they didn't have this problem i'd use em, just to see the difference with the golds
Hmm Ill have to take a closer look. Are you using the aluminum threaded shocks? Iam using the perch perhaps from that then which might be different than the stock r40 perch.

If anything though im sure using the proceed perch would rememdy your fitment problems. Would like to see what you think though. Youve got me interested in just trying the gold spring to see how things go again.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:35 PM   #8916
Tech Adept

Default Rear Lower Bulkhead Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGRacer
. . . Another thing I discovered with my R40. The two M3 x 20 flat head screws which go through the brake brace do not thread into the upper bulkhead at all, only into the lower bulkhead. There is only around 3-4mm tops of screw biting into the lower bulkhead and mine were coming lose quite regularly after a heat. Put M3 x 25 screws in their place and problem is solved. I don't know if anybody else has found this issue?
This discussion was back at the beginning of time.

I think I have read everything about this part (rear lower right bulkhead) and I have tried to find if anyone has a replacement part -- either lightweight composite or aluminum. It appears that no-one has every made an upgrade for it. Is this correct?

Note: The original lower bulkhead is actually 1 piece parts tree #73476, part number 1, but I assume that anyone trying to make a machined part would probably break it down further.

Last edited by MobileIT; 10-03-2005 at 09:45 PM.
MobileIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 08:02 AM   #8917
Tech Adept

i just got longer screws...fixed it perfectly.
Greenbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 08:05 AM   #8918
Tech Adept

BTW, anyone know where i could purchasee those new shocks( i havent really looked). Also some nitride shock rods that could fit and where to buy will also be helpful. Anyone try those acer shock o-rings. They are supposed to create a better seal than silicon and last longer....
Greenbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:04 AM   #8919
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbox
i just got longer screws...fixed it perfectly.
Yup, but I am looking ahead. This was not a particularly light piece and I thought that it would have been a key piece to upgrade, so I should get it done now, before I install an engine. But it looks like nobody has done anything about it. The car has been out for 2 years and is a reasonably popular car, so I am a bit surprised.
MobileIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:33 PM   #8920
Tech Regular

Quote:
Hmm Ill have to take a closer look. Are you using the aluminum threaded shocks? Iam using the perch perhaps from that then which might be different than the stock r40 perch.

If anything though im sure using the proceed perch would rememdy your fitment problems. Would like to see what you think though. Youve got me interested in just trying the gold spring to see how things go again.
Heh,.. just want to clarify, the bottom holder that slides onto the ball end on the bottom of the shock shaft and holds the spring from falling off, thats the piece im talking about (if this is also what you're talking about, disregard).

I fitted them on the aluminum threaded shock bottom retainer and still have issues. it looks like the spring is too narrow and then you have to press the spring onto the groove, which compresses the retainer.

One theory I have, maybe it's incorrect, but it's that the red rear spring gives the car better transitioning because of the length. probably the length gives more "rebound" effect when compressed. but its just a random thought..
Old 10-05-2005, 11:00 AM   #8921

This is what Im referring to.
Attached Thumbnails
HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-spring_perch.jpg  
Old 10-05-2005, 03:18 PM   #8922
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (98%+)
Default adios

Last edited by evostyle; 10-19-2005 at 09:55 PM.
evostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 03:34 PM   #8923
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (98%+)
Default my setup

Last edited by evostyle; 10-19-2005 at 09:54 PM.
evostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:36 PM   #8924
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD
Thumbs up

SWEETNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2005, 04:23 AM   #8925
Tech Regular

yes, very nice!
Hesky is offline   Reply With Quote