R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-16-2005, 05:03 AM   #8791
Tech Adept

Does anyone know for sure if the new Hara edition R40 is going to be released and when ?

Looking for a new car and want to keep options open.

Thanks
fastrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 10:31 AM   #8792
Tech Regular

if you guys are talking about the screws on the underside that attach the mounts to the chassis look for mrx-4 engine mount screws. they're 4mm, hard steel, and hex headed.
tranced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:35 AM   #8793
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

HPI challenge at Superior, the first challenge of the year, 50% of the cars in the modified nitro expert class broke CVD's.

From HPI:

Quote:
Next up was Nitro Modified, with David Franklin putting on one of the best drives we’ve ever seen at a Challenge race, his R40 was set up perfectly for the track and his driving was nearly flawless, which resulted in a 4 lap lead over second place.

Even Dave needed CVD's. I took them out of my car, and gave them to Dave, so he could finish the weekend. Then I was talked into staying for the main event the next day, and stayed up all night modding my Mugen CVD's to fit in the R40. So no problems with the CVDs? I think they are week.

just my $.02

2 of these 3 drivers broke CVD's.

http://www.hpiracing.com/movie/PICT1939k.zip save target as to watch video of Dave winning.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:41 PM   #8794
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD
Default Trade

Welp, I've just been offered a trade from one of my friends. For my MRX4 less radio gear, he will offer me his upgraded R40 w/ROdy Roar vs and pipe, and a mongoose w/picco xp and pipe. Both coming with bodies and spare parts and also the Futaba 3PM radio (better than mine). I'd only like the radio factor and xtra R40, however his R40 needs a tune up to run like mine ( ), and I'd swap his Rody and put mine in there (mine is more reliable...just hate to admit). That just leaves the G4 dangling...what do to with it I don't know. He claims he like how 8ths run, but he just can't get his rides dialed in right so that's a poor excuse. Anyway, who thinks I should go along with the trade and who think's not? If I don't do the trade I'd stay with my CD3 pro and MRX4 (yep the Rody is in the CD3 pro and it runs very nice at my track...can't spend more $$ on the R40 right now). If I do the trade I get an upgraded R40 to try...mt12 goes back in the Cd3...G4...I dunno..and I have a spare Rody to probably tune some other time. Also, a new Radio to choose which ride it goes into. What you guys think?
Old 09-16-2005, 07:46 PM   #8795
Tech Elite

P.S. The R40 is coming with.

LW shafts
LW 2speed
LW chassis,
Alum brace
graphite engine side brace
graphite shock towers
few other misc upgrades if I remember.

The G4 also has it's share of upgrades. Only thing is I'd then take his problem-so many cars not knowing what to do with em. Once to race, one to bash, one to...do what?
Old 09-16-2005, 07:57 PM   #8796
Tech Adept

Was this the same person the gave you the ofna? Didnt he also get that Rody by mistake? Um for the "what to do" ask Fast Harry
Greenbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 07:59 PM   #8797
Tech Regular

so thats 2 rb r40s now then

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranced
if you guys are talking about the screws on the underside that attach the mounts to the chassis look for mrx-4 engine mount screws. they're 4mm, hard steel, and hex headed.
cool, I noticed the jato uses 4mm hex screws for its engine mount to (even traxxas use hex screws now, why do hpi still use crappy posidrive drives ) so I'm gonna just pop down my lhs and get a set + some other stuff. I could go to a proper fastener outlet and pickup a bag of 100 for the same price but im lazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jea3
HPI challenge at Superior, the first challenge of the year, 50% of the cars in the modified nitro expert class broke CVD's.

From HPI:

Even Dave needed CVD's. I took them out of my car, and gave them to Dave, so he could finish the weekend. Then I was talked into staying for the main event the next day, and stayed up all night modding my Mugen CVD's to fit in the R40. So no problems with the CVDs? I think they are week.

just my $.02

http://www.hpiracing.com/movie/PICT1939k.zip save target as to watch video of Dave winning.
yeah, they seem weak, almost defective if they break that often!
Hesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 09:14 PM   #8798
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to JAG Racing
Default Screw source

Check out Tony's RC Screws ... Google search
JAG Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 10:09 PM   #8799
Tech Regular

thanks John, I'll keep him in mind the next time i'm searching for random screws
Old 09-16-2005, 10:26 PM   #8800
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbox
Was this the same person the gave you the ofna? Didnt he also get that Rody by mistake? Um for the "what to do" ask Fast Harry
Yes he did. Blame who ever is bad at labling packages. He got away with it yes, but it sure is a PITA to tune those. Otherwise when they run they are sick fast. My Rody won't run like those, but it's still quite fast around the track. Just to remind ya it has a restrictor that keeps it at 5.4mm carb opening so no wonder why. I can remove it yes, but it won't be legal.

Hesky-Yeah...mine for spares and I'd run his. Still though I got a G4 to worry about and a CD3 w/Rody at the moment. I think I may keep the R40. Anyone else have suggestions? I'd like that 3Pm radio, but I may just get a new radio myself sometime.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:30 PM   #8801
Tech Elite

Meh most of me says not to do it. I like the way things are running now and need to get the 8th dialed up n running.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:03 PM   #8802

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jea3

From HPI:

just my $.02

Yeah I remember that day. I was walking around trying to find some dogbones as well, as the lhs didnt have any. After that though Ive been doing pretty good. I actually dont think Ive personally bent one. But my used r40 I bought had I think around 3 bent ones. One was also some other brand than hpi's, which might be the 3racing...it too was bent. Im also not the best driver either so im suprised with all the bent bones out there. That I havent bent mine yet. Maybe they updated them?

Another funny thing about that part is the amount of names it takes on. At least for the R40.

Directly from HPI they call the part that gets bent a bone. Some call it dog bones , cvd's and swingshafts. I always find it interesting. Mostly asia calls it swing-shaft and im not fully sure if they are classified as a full cvd. HPI also calls the full thing a universal dog bone. So they could even be called universals. I always kinda laugh when I hear about them, cause it seems they take on a few names.

But yeah Dave is the man, he tore it up with the r40. I know he ran it pretty much stock...nothing special but a box stock american r40. So that means no lw anything. Watching him drive it, makes you think about lw parts and how they really are a waste. At least when your an amazing driver.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 09-17-2005 at 08:59 PM.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 08:09 PM   #8803
Tech Adept

any1 try these universals,swing shafts, cvds, dogbones.....or whatever. there only for the front thought however thats where they are more prone to breaking i am guessing? I havent had bent ones yet either. I try not to crash i guess and if i do its always head on usually .
Greenbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 09:37 PM   #8804
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Mostly asia calls it swing-shaft and im not fully sure if they are classified as a full cvd. HPI also calls the full thing a universal dog bone. So they could even be called universals. I always kinda laugh when I hear about them, cause it seems they take on a few names.
I think there strictly not constant velocity joints as the transmitted speed will still have a slight variation. true cvds tend to have a 3 pointed yoke attached to the end of the shaft, which has barrel shaped rollers on the ends that sit in 3 matching grooves, but as you can imagine scaling that down to 10th scale would be almost impossible, not to mention how much maintenance it would require.
I'm not to keen on the "cvds" that come with the r40 I like those MIP style driveshafts that Greenbox gave a link 2, the twisting + up and down movement is not all concentrated on the pin like the r40 drives, the shaft moves about on the centre barrel producing less play and holds the pin captive via the grub screw. all in all a much better solution I think.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:12 PM   #8805
Tech Regular

oh yeah, I havent shown you guys my r40 yet.
here it is
Attached Thumbnails
HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-dsc03058.jpg