R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-09-2005, 06:13 PM   #8731
Tech Regular

old os cvr's for you, doesnt surprise me. people bash the hell out of them and they still start up fine the next day!
Hesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 07:10 PM   #8732
Suspended

Send a message via MSN to rinkeberg

are these cars any good?? :
rinkeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 07:56 PM   #8733
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD
Lightbulb

The R40 is quite competative out of the box. Some upgrades can be purchased to improve the car quite noticiably and it reponds to adjustments. I love mine a lot.

Hesky- Last time I tried rubbers on my R40 on every turn it spun out no matter what I did. It's surely not because I have a Rody, but the car needs a new setup. I have a vid of it. It also lagged on acceleration. Foams works way better on this car.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:43 PM   #8734
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
The R40 is quite competative out of the box. Some upgrades can be purchased to improve the car quite noticiably and it reponds to adjustments. I love mine a lot.

Hesky- Last time I tried rubbers on my R40 on every turn it spun out no matter what I did. It's surely not because I have a Rody, but the car needs a new setup. I have a vid of it. It also lagged on acceleration. Foams works way better on this car.
If you're not using one already, for rubber tires I'd suggest a heavy front diff or a spool.
tranced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:56 PM   #8735
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
I have 3 os's. I know they are pretty good. I also hear about their reliability as well. But the OS TZ I heard and read from a couple of people it has trouble lasting 2 gallons on some motors. From what my lhs says OS is always hit or miss. A good example is the TR.
2 gallons isnt bad but I question those people's break-in and useage..
For example if you race a nova based motor for 2 gallons it will not have the same power than say a gallon ago, obviously. I mean these are race motors, they are pushed hard, and definately should be maintained (ie p/s conrod replacement) every so often..
Old 09-10-2005, 10:13 AM   #8736
Tech Adept

how come if u go to hpi europe theres option parts for the new Hara or 2005 edition out or comming soon. However on the japan site theres nothing listed? I find that odd. link

Also the japenses upper deck for the orginal is way different than the US one and the one from Europe.
Greenbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 12:29 PM   #8737
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Hi guys.....
Do you know where to get LOLA bodies for R40 in USA?
Any pix?
Thanks,
kumpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 12:39 PM   #8738
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranced
If you're not using one already, for rubber tires I'd suggest a heavy front diff or a spool.
Solid diff in front or the rear? How about a oneway diff front and solid rear?

Kumpol-Kawahara and maybe one or two other companies make 200mm lola bodies. They honestly don't help much as it won't make the car handle no where near that of the 235mm class or 8th onroad...with or without the floating rear mounts. I had one on my R40 and I didn't really notice a difference. It's just the feeling of expecting a difference and after not driving for a while makes you think there was a change. I drove the car with the same setup and tested the skyline GTR body and Kawahara Lola; there wasn't a change. There went my $20
Old 09-10-2005, 01:09 PM   #8739
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
Solid diff in front or the rear? How about a oneway diff front and solid rear?

Kumpol-Kawahara and maybe one or two other companies make 200mm lola bodies. They honestly don't help much as it won't make the car handle no where near that of the 235mm class or 8th onroad...with or without the floating rear mounts. I had one on my R40 and I didn't really notice a difference. It's just the feeling of expecting a difference and after not driving for a while makes you think there was a change. I drove the car with the same setup and tested the skyline GTR body and Kawahara Lola; there wasn't a change. There went my $20
I was responding to your woes about the rubber tire setup. Heavy diff or spool, up front. A one-way with solid rear is only suitable for very large, flowing tracks where you're on the gas for the most part. Also you only want to use that type of setup with foam tires, due to the nature of the one-way, requiring high traction to work efficiently.

Also make sure you're not using very soft rubbers. You want to stay above a 27R range, 32R+ recommended (as in 32C rated tires or above). This is because the lower temp rated tires will heat up almost instantly and start loosing grip because of overheating.

As for the lola vs sedan bodies.. with the Lola you should be able to enter corners faster and in general have more grip all around.. basically tons more downforce resulting in more grip.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:12 PM   #8740
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbox
how come if u go to hpi europe theres option parts for the new Hara or 2005 edition out or comming soon. However on the japan site theres nothing listed? I find that odd. link

Also the japenses upper deck for the orginal is way different than the US one and the one from Europe.
This is most definately a sign of things comming! They are preparing the website for the introduction or so I would hope
Old 09-10-2005, 01:14 PM   #8741
Tech Elite

Oh ok. I'm still running at floyd. Basically I still don't think the lola will really work especially without a floating rear mount- it's just gonna apply all the force to the rear of the car, which will then compress the shocks not allowing you to get any suspension action. Using the mount all the force is going to the hubs and allows full suspension action. I was still as fast with the other sedan bodies as the lola. Thnx for the rubber setup as it was just an idea to see what I'd run up there.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:02 PM   #8742
Tech Regular

You might be right about the compression of the rear shocks but that might not be a bad thing. The extra downforce over the rear of the car will keep the rear planted. All that might happen is a bit of understeer. But you can solve that with driving style & setup. Definately will allow you to push the car just that extra bit harder. However I do see Lola as outlaw class and would rather have a touring car stay a touring car. My Aero2 is actually reacting well with the HPI molded wing with medium height mounts.

I was just out at Floydd today and it seemed dustier than usual.. my 40 shores werent holding too well.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:13 PM   #8743

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

If you use rubbers and want really any sort of good traction they need to have some traction compound on them.

I personally think after-run oil is probably the most effective, readily available and cheapest solution for great grip and it absorbs quickly. Then a little wintergreen alcohol or whatever traction compound you might already have will help clean and boost it further, while getting rid of the residual oil on the surface that will be a little slippy at first.

I would also figure the rear diff should be loosened up. That should help dial in things a little.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 05:58 PM   #8744
Tech Adept

Yeah i can buy the new fuel tank and ill call my r40 a "Hara" edition. As thats the only thing out
Greenbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 07:06 PM   #8745

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

I could see it now......."My new as close to hara edition R40 as anyone can get.....version."

LOL
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote