Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 04:52 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

from where?
Old 11-20-2003, 03:09 PM
Tech Addict

Whats wrong with the snakes??? I have never had one and I know that the snake guys will never talk bad...tell me whats up?

I like that the R40 forum has become the Jerry springer show of RCTECH..."Steve can we get some help here, things might get out of control"
Old 11-22-2003, 08:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

The only way to see which car is better is to drive a few others... I see everyone here likes the R40 for different reasons... I know this, every car has it's pro and cons... The cost of up keep for the R40 is the best in the business when compared with Mugen, Trinity, and Serpent. Out the box though, The MTX3, G4, and the 705/710 are complete with all the hop ups in the box... ie. front one way's low profile/light weight shock towers better plastic and light weight chassis to just too name a few. Do I like my R40??? Yes.. Do I love my Trinity G4??? Heck Yea!!! But note... Fuel tank for the R40 is only $7.50 in my area and for the G4. $25.00... You do the math. All the other cars are true Team cars out the box and the R40 is not... I'm sure HPI will release a Team only car next year to please the true racers and keep current one for the parking lot basher and weekend RC track racers. I'm not going to push any other car here in this forum... Drive what you all like and be happy with you investment. If your pockets are not to deep... Stay with the R40... Now if you have Deep pockets and want to drive the very best... You have a few other options. .02

RC_Alan
Old 11-22-2003, 05:51 PM
Tech Addict

The R40 in my mind is still a great deal. I really like the desgin (HPI did it right from the get go) with only a few very minor complaints, like the rear sway bar could have been made easier to remove. But besides the car looks very easy to maintain compared to an MTX-3, V One RR (i had one of these), and 705. I wish the US spec was the same as the Japan spec, but overall i'm impressed enough to plan on getting this car during spring.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Icon... The R40 is a nice car, but if you want the very best, you can alot better. To pay for all the possible hop ups for the R40, you can just buy a Trinity G4 or the new Serpent 710 and save youself some money... I have the R40, running a Rossi Black Pixy 3 port mod.. 1.5hp's... Like I said, the car to me is just ok when compare to the G4, Serpent 710 and the Kyosho V-One-RR. All three are lighter, comes with front oneways.. They are pretty much team cars out the box. For most people, the R40 is more then enough car for them. But for the true racer that's been around, they'll see real quick that the R40 is just ok, but not the best thing out right now and may not be until HPI does some real changes to the car. Out the Box, the R40 is a very RTR car that in pieces to build... Nothing as far as hop up except for the rather large graphite upper deck. Yes the car is very adjustable, low cost of mantainance as fas as replacement parts cost, but that's it. HPI team drivers cars are very and I mean very different then the one that came in that silver box... Like I said, I'm not knocking the car and you can spend your money anyway you wish.... Once the real hop ups start to become available, I might start to think different... Everyone likes certain cars for different reasons. To each his own.. Happy racing and good luck.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:51 PM
Tech Addict

i really dont believe that you need all those options to run with everyone else. at most you'll need some aluminum threaded shocks, a super chassis and oneway, IMO.

you are right though, for most features (and options) out of the box the R40 definitely loses to the 710 and the G4. but again i think the R40 only loses in materials (graphite & aluminum). overall design i still feel the R40 edges out a G4, and only slightly lower than the almost perfect snake :-).

the car is beyond RTR. i think it has a closer feel to a sport 2; good raceworthy design but only lacking in options (compensated by initial price).

yes, for the very best in box i may be better off starting with a 710. but i think a carefully optioned R40 can be just as good as a optioned 710. longer and more expensive road to build such an R40, but i think that HPI made a car that is a good sport racer and even better as a starting base for building a track car.

perhaps its the baby duck syndrome. i started with a Pro 2, so i'm very excited in my plans to prepare an HPI car again.

hehe, speaking of options, i've got some picked out.

hpi threaded shocks
hpi super chassis
hpi lite wt. shafts
hpi machined engine mounts
hpi al. hex adaptors.
hpi ballrace steering
hpi titanium turnbuckles
3racing graphite upper deck
3racing graphite front shocktower
3racing graphite rear shocktower

happy racing rc_alan
Old 11-23-2003, 01:31 AM
Tech Adept

I wonder if Hara could have won the ROAR nats with a fully stock R40? Well, stock except for the tires. Lets say he could at least run any tire he wanted, could he have still won?

Somehow I think he could have...

In my opinion, the R40 is just as good if not better than any other car.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:11 AM
Tech Regular

Don't kid yourself.....if you're going to talk in terms of "could have", then Josh Cyrul would have mopped up the ROAR Nationals with his TQ'ing G4. He led right from the start and had it not been for running out of fuel (I believe that's what it was) Hara wouldn't even be getting talked about.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by icon
i
hpi threaded shocks
hpi super chassis
hpi lite wt. shafts
hpi machined engine mounts
hpi al. hex adaptors.
hpi ballrace steering
hpi titanium turnbuckles
3racing graphite upper deck
3racing graphite front shocktower
3racing graphite rear shocktower

happy racing rc_alan

Why would you want the 3racing graphite upper deck, isn't it the same as the stock one?
Old 11-23-2003, 08:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Let's compare car's and see... Here's a pic of my R40 and G4... Look closely at the cars if you can and see which car is the better design... Oh, remember, the G4 has a rear blade roll bar just like the one in the front... And there's a big dfference in weight, but the plastic is very durable like the Serpent and kyosho's plastics which happens to some of the best in the business.. I also notice that the team drivers from HPI don't use HPI bodies nor there tires... I wonder why??? You know my R40 is not bone stock either... Front oneway cost $35.00, soft rear shock springs $3.00, optional gear upgrades with extra clutch bell, $17.00, hollow drive shafts, $15.00... Do you see where I'm going... The G4 Pro, Mugen MTX3 and the Kyosho Evolution-RR can be found for the same price as the R40 in my area... And there pretty much team cars out the box... When the hop ups come and I can take some weigh off the car... I might start to feel a litttle different about the R40... That G4 just drives so awesome though!!!
Attached Thumbnails HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-compare-4.jpg  
Old 11-23-2003, 08:13 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by KMac
Don't kid yourself.....if you're going to talk in terms of "could have", then Josh Cyrul would have mopped up the ROAR Nationals with his TQ'ing G4. He led right from the start and had it not been for running out of fuel (I believe that's what it was) Hara wouldn't even be getting talked about.
All this does is show that EVERY car has flaws. The small fuel tank is one on the G4!
Old 11-23-2003, 08:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Here's a few more...
Attached Thumbnails HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-compare-3.jpg  
Old 11-23-2003, 08:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

The new 75cc fuel tank for the G4 are now in stock...
Attached Thumbnails HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-compare-2.jpg  
Old 11-23-2003, 08:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Last one.. I'm not trying to push one car over another, just trying to show the for the same price, you can have a much better car... I like them both, I just think know the G4 pro stock is not just a little better, it's way better then the stock R40...
Attached Thumbnails HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-compare-8.jpg  
Old 11-23-2003, 08:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Oh, you guy might be wondering why or what kind a air filter that is... It's a Traxxas T-maxx filter... Works great in getting that extra air in the Carb... I cut about 1/4 of the filter element out to promote even more airflow... Man these motors scream now!!! The neck can be turned to the front of the car window opening to get all that extra air in. Cost all of $10.00, are re-washable and fits all large neck carbs...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.