R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-26-2005, 03:06 PM   #8641
Tech Initiate

Talking NEED YOUR HELP GUYS!

Hi guys,

I'm planning a comeback to RC. I want to get a R40 and race it at a regional level. I have no plans to race national, but it's VERY important that I have a good time, and that the car finishes each race so I'm willing to spend $$$ on the right upgrade parts to help durability and driveability.

The car has been available for a few years so I'm counting on you guys to help me: What must I get? What should I avoid? What are the essential spares I should buy up front? etc.

I'm thinking about an 3-port OZ .12TZ or an HPI .12RXS for power, and my thrustworthy caliber fm radio system.

The competition appears to be mainly serpent cars in my area, with a few odd kyosho, associate and mugen cars. Most guys use Mega engines.

Thanks in advance!
[g]
RC_Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 03:32 PM   #8642
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Greg
Hi guys,

I'm planning a comeback to RC. I want to get a R40 and race it at a regional level. I have no plans to race national, but it's VERY important that I have a good time, and that the car finishes each race so I'm willing to spend $$$ on the right upgrade parts to help durability and driveability.

The car has been available for a few years so I'm counting on you guys to help me: What must I get? What should I avoid? What are the essential spares I should buy up front? etc.

I'm thinking about an 3-port OZ .12TZ or an HPI .12RXS for power, and my thrustworthy caliber fm radio system.

The competition appears to be mainly serpent cars in my area, with a few odd kyosho, associate and mugen cars. Most guys use Mega engines.

Thanks in advance!
[g]
If you are planning on getting the R-40, I suggest you go ahead and order the rcmart version for $333.00 USD, This kit comes with most of the upgrades I've had to buy separetely. With the rcmart kit you get the LW chassis $76 USD, the LW 2 speed tranny $53 USD, the graphite shock towers rear $25 USD front $14 USD, LW front and rear shafts rear $17 USD front $14 USD, the aluminum hex for $ 8 USD a pair, so that's $16 USD more, the graphite side brace $10 USD and the kit. The US version like the one found at towerhobbies costs around $258, but you'll have to add all of the above to be competitive plus I'd go with the OS tz .12 3 port turbo engine plus radio etc etc.
add it up and see what's better for you.
good luck
KLANDERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 05:47 PM   #8643
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

For the price the OS .12TZ is like a faster Nova RS12. I too would look into the upgraded R40 kit.

Klander- I'm ordering the lW chassis and may get alum hexes soon. I'll see what other stuff I may order.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:47 PM   #8644
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLANDERMAN
If you are planning on getting the R-40, I suggest you go ahead and order the rcmart version for $333.00 USD, This kit comes with most of the upgrades I've had to buy separetely. With the rcmart kit you get the LW chassis $76 USD, the LW 2 speed tranny $53 USD, the graphite shock towers rear $25 USD front $14 USD, LW front and rear shafts rear $17 USD front $14 USD, the aluminum hex for $ 8 USD a pair, so that's $16 USD more, the graphite side brace $10 USD and the kit. The US version like the one found at towerhobbies costs around $258, but you'll have to add all of the above to be competitive plus I'd go with the OS tz .12 3 port turbo engine plus radio etc etc.
add it up and see what's better for you.
good luck

you also get the titanium screw kit,and the lieght weight motor
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:41 PM   #8645
Tech Regular

That would be a hell of a deal for $333. Those option parts are way more expensive than the difference between the normal R40 and this 2004 edition. I wish I got the 2004 edition.
rossb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 08:04 PM   #8646
Tech Elite

Same here. LOL!
Old 08-27-2005, 12:00 AM   #8647
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossb
That would be a hell of a deal for $333. Those option parts are way more expensive than the difference between the normal R40 and this 2004 edition. I wish I got the 2004 edition.
Thanks F Harry forgot about those two lol...
YEP thats what happened to us R'40 rookies in the past that we bought the normal 2003 kit and upgrade it part by part, but this I believe is a nice way for thos of you who are now getting started with the R'40 group when it come to a pro level car $$$$.
Happy hunting R'40 dudes!!!
Old 08-27-2005, 12:04 AM   #8648
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
For the price the OS .12TZ is like a faster Nova RS12. I too would look into the upgraded R40 kit.

Klander- I'm ordering the lW chassis and may get alum hexes soon. I'll see what other stuff I may order.
nice!!! I got the aluminu hexes from rcmart, but I got the 1mm offset once so I have to use threadlock on the tire now, get the 0 offset ones. Also if you order from rcmart get the lower suspension graphite for the front, the graphite steering brace, and also if you already have the titanium screws, rcmart has stock for almost any tipe hex screws, I just ordered a couple that got bent during a bad wreck I had with a wall lol. They where like $4 USD for 6 tit screws.
see ya!
Old 08-27-2005, 08:37 AM   #8649
Tech Elite

I'll get all those goodies sooner or later. For now I'm still saving for a car. Also, planning on finding a job soon so I can get some $$$.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:14 PM   #8650
Tech Initiate

Default THANK YOU

Thanks a million for your help guys, this is very valuable info for me.

Please keep the help coming: What are the key spares to have at all times? How does a R40 stack up against serpent cars?

THANKS and good racing!!!
Greg
RC_Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 04:40 PM   #8651

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Hubs , knuckles and the rod ends for the rear camber seem to go the most...or at least get stripped.

I have a spare CG arm set on hand for myself as I have the cg arm kit and they are supposedly more brittle. But thats another thing that might go.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:52 PM   #8652
Tech Regular

I popped a front knuckle off the pivot balls today while racing and the knuckle cracked slightly in the pivot ball area. This is the second time I have done this. Replacing those knuckles is a bit expensive because I have to buy the HPI Front Bulkhead/Knuckle Set R40 just to get the knuckles.

Has anyone tried to repair a knuckle with a little stress crack near the pivot balls? I CA'ed it today but I don't know if it will hold. I know that not crashing is the best solution, but is there another solution to this problem?
rossb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 11:54 PM   #8653
Tech Regular

ross your best bet is to get a wider aftermarket front foam bumper so that the wheel doesnt take the brunt of any front impacts. finding one is a different story, but i know they are made, specifically for the r40.
tranced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:41 AM   #8654
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Greg
Thanks a million for your help guys, this is very valuable info for me.

Please keep the help coming: What are the key spares to have at all times? How does a R40 stack up against serpent cars?

THANKS and good racing!!!
Greg
No problem, anytime ok...
Old 08-29-2005, 02:09 PM   #8655
Tech Regular

I've read thru this forum that the R40 Hara version is coming out late August. But I called HPI customer service and they said it will be available around Nov-Dec. They are not sure if it will have the same components as the one from RC mart, they have yet to recieve a kit from HPI.