R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-23-2005, 11:17 PM   #8611
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
I dunno why I haven't been getting recalls, but anyway just wanted to give another update the car is still running strong with the same upgrades. I had a question though I'm using the stock gears on the LW 2speed which are
22T/29T 60T/54T. I was wondering if I can jump to a 20T pinion and 25T pinion as it will work with the stock pinions? Otherwise I may just drop one tooth on each.
YOOO! what up HARK???? Hey why do you wanna lower the clutch bell teeth? Your car will be torquier, but slower in the top end region. I guess if the track is pretty small you can go ahead and do this. Ok well see ya later
KLANDERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:34 AM   #8612

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranced
I'm positive. The one-way as you know is just an insert that locks a normal front diff assembly. The weight from the cups, the lock, the diff housings.. etc.. all make the diff heavier.
Cups? Isnt there cups already on the one-way as well as the diff housing? Im talking about the spool vs one-way. Aka the rear solid axle.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:40 AM   #8613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbox
also any one got secret (or well known) techniques to make foams last a tad bit longer? I know if u store skateboard wheels in the freezer before u ues them they last longer. Would this let foam last longer? Or is other techniques. Not the kinda guy who can keep buying foams every week or so. . running 40 shore mostly sometimes 42.
Yes there are a lot of things that can be done. The main ingredient in keeping a tire grippy. Is "oil". This is true for even real 1:1 cars rubber. Allthough generally not done, ive tested it and yes it works.

A good actual product which says brings back the natural grip of the tire. Is trinity tire tweak. I just got a bottle of this stuff works great.

Another thing I will use is wintergreen alcohol. I use this to clean the tire and give it just a tiny bit more grip. Then I use tire tweak and store it in a bag for a day.

Ive also tried after-run oil and it works well as well on rubber tires. Just needs to absorb in the oil and your tires will be brand new if not better than before with grip.

It will increase the wear a bit as the tires are now stickier....

Then finally there are a few grip compounds that can be used. Red dot , death grip , zip grip , tire tangerine , paragon....

Last edited by Artificial-I; 08-24-2005 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:10 AM   #8614
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLANDERMAN
YOOO! what up HARK???? Hey why do you wanna lower the clutch bell teeth? Your car will be torquier, but slower in the top end region. I guess if the track is pretty small you can go ahead and do this. Ok well see ya later
Well it's not really small at all. I just hoped for a bit more acceleration offline I guess for first gear. Eh well, to save $14 might as well leave em.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:14 AM   #8615
Tech Fanatic

You can get betteracceleration depending on the washers you install before the thrust bearing, I think the less you have the higher the rpms get before contact and you get more acceleration. also if you lean a bit the lower needle you can get more acceleration in the beginning....

Let me know what you do ok
later
Old 08-24-2005, 10:18 AM   #8616
Tech Elite

Yeah I had to use 4 shims to get good acceleration on mine actually. I may switch to a new spring, shoe, and or adjuster nut. Otherwise, everything works fine on my ride. I guess I will keep it. One thing I may get is the LW chassis next.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:20 AM   #8617
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Yeah I had to use 4 shims to get good acceleration on mine actually. I may switch to a new spring, shoe, and or adjuster nut. Otherwise, everything works fine on my ride. I guess I will keep it. One thing I may get is the LW chassis next.
Yeah go for it, I went ahead and bought a new one, lightened a few oter things and now my car weighs around 1790 depending on the body I use jeje
Old 08-24-2005, 10:26 AM   #8618
Tech Elite

I still hate the price for em, but eh, might as well. I'll probably take the restrictor out of my Rody later on sometime to see how it runs. For now with it being super reliable and still surprisingly fast is why I forget to take it out. So far my friend been ruining parts on his R40 left n right. Blown 3 bearings, 2 shims, stripped 3 gears for 2nd gear. His Rody revs sky high compared to mind but we are about neck n neck on the track. I may invest in a new pipe though.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:32 AM   #8619
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I still hate the price for em, but eh, might as well. I'll probably take the restrictor out of my Rody later on sometime to see how it runs. For now with it being super reliable and still surprisingly fast is why I forget to take it out. So far my friend been ruining parts on his R40 left n right. Blown 3 bearings, 2 shims, stripped 3 gears for 2nd gear. His Rody revs sky high compared to mind but we are about neck n neck on the track. I may invest in a new pipe though.
I blew like 2 gears for the 2nd gear and dont know why, but it happened, been driving carefully after my last accident when I destroyed the LW chassis. got the graphite break, the graphite pad holders and the lower front mounts also. Took some weight off, but the best part is the battery pack. I no longer use the Rx box or hte battery box, or the battery door. rcmart has a pack for $6 USD that works on the serpent and I have it taped to a piece of lexan screwed to the battery holes and works great. I thought the door would take rigidity from the chassis and maybe it does, but the car feels awesome and handles great, so no problem here LOL... I'll post some pics later ok
Old 08-24-2005, 12:00 PM   #8620
Tech Regular

Oops.. must have been late when i replied. I wrote "one-way" where it should have said "spool".
HPI's "solid axle" is just an aluminum insert that goes into the stock diff casings.
( see this: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHLX2&P=7 )

Unless you've found an actual "solid axle" that is machined and eliminates the need for outdrive cups, diff housings, and pins, you won't be loosing much weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Cups? Isnt there cups already on the one-way as well as the diff housing? Im talking about the spool vs one-way. Aka the rear solid axle.
tranced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:21 PM   #8621
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to JAG Racing

Quote:
I blew like 2 gears for the 2nd gear and dont know why, but it happened, been driving carefully after my last accident when I destroyed the LW chassis. got the graphite break, the graphite pad holders and the lower front mounts also. Took some weight off, but the best part is the battery pack. I no longer use the Rx box or hte battery box, or the battery door. rcmart has a pack for $6 USD that works on the serpent and I have it taped to a piece of lexan screwed to the battery holes and works great. I thought the door would take rigidity from the chassis and maybe it does, but the car feels awesome and handles great, so no problem here LOL... I'll post some pics later ok

KLANDERMAN - What pinions are you running?
JAG Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 06:26 PM   #8622
Tech Elite

Quote:
LOL, my friend had the same thing too! I never had that problem yet (knocks on wood).
Old 08-24-2005, 06:37 PM   #8623

Quote:
Did you measure the cf brake disc. I also wonder how it performs. Watch out with the cf pad holder. It needs a little more room than stock and its kinda sticky. I need to fix mine a bit more, might even switch back as im sure its dragging a little when driving.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:17 PM   #8624
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to JAG Racing

The only time I have blown a second spur gear is when I used a VERY wide tooth spread on the pinions. I would like to confirm this with anyone else who has lost a 2nd spur gear.

When mine stripped - I was using 20T/29T pinions. Has anyone else tried tis combo with more than one full race day? I say this b/c it will last for awhile before it goes in my case anyway.
JAG Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:36 PM   #8625
Tech Regular

I just posted a page with pictures taken while building my R40. Check it out here.
rossb is offline   Reply With Quote