R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-06-2005, 08:41 PM   #8401
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigeRyan
Ok, I think you may be right on the flywheel bit, what I have realized is the collet I have isnt the one for this car / clutch it is about 1-2mm to short, can I add some spacers behind it to make up the difference that is needed in order for it to work or do I need to have the dead-on right collet?

Thanks guy!

You might be able to shim the collet IF it has the right taper. If the taper is wrong, no amount of shimming or cranking on the flywheel nut will keep the from slipping. You can just get the collet alone at your LHS.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 08:59 PM   #8402
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TigeRyan

I believe it would be: MUGH0765
Old 08-06-2005, 09:34 PM   #8403
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

I think this is it..

H0765 Clutch Shoe (Gray)

and you can get it right here....

http://www.gasrccar.com/

tell Lee that you saw his name on RC tech..

and that fastharry the vacuum guy from north jersey gave it to you.....
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 11:00 PM   #8404

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Yeah got the tag in my hand. H0765.

I tried out those twister tires. Im pretty impressed. It could be because of the rating but the car was pretty planted. Finally at the very end got the car to engage properly. So I packed up and went home.

Also got my CVEC pipe from Joe, cant wait to try it. Im thinking on installing it tonight and the hpi solid axle for the front. But im pretty tired. So Im probably just going to crash. LOL.

I took out a shim on my d3r motor finally like dino said. Seems he was pretty right this definently made the car able to lean out enough on 20%...but still having trouble getting the tuning right.

Hopefully tommorrow will be better. Take care everyone, im off to bed.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 08:16 AM   #8405
Tech Regular

Quote:
Hey guys, just took the clutch apart and what do I find, the clutch nut has walked its way all the way tight....I have never seen this before, what could cause the nut to tighten itself up?
Try a little thread lock on the nut, that will at least hold it in position, I've never had that problem with my r40 clutch but others have. I just didn't get on with it so I'm trying out the mugen centax clutch and its a vast improvement.
also my kit came with the green gears and smallest spurs giving it just pointless topend, my tracks pretty large but its far from topping out in 2nd, also on acceleration the motor puts quite alot of load on the clutch due to the long gears and frankly rubbish stock weight of the car. Yesterday a friend picked my car up to put it on the track and he was shocked and surprised at how much it weighed later i did a little comparing, I had my friends serpent stock'ish 710 on one hand and my r40 on the other, the difference in weight felt wrong!!
Where do you guys get your pinion and spurs from?? my lhs have no love for the R40 and I cant find a good range of sizes online either.
Hesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 08:33 AM   #8406
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to regg151 Send a message via AIM to regg151 Send a message via Yahoo to regg151

I get my gears from tower or rcmart between the two of them I find whatever parts I need.

Inferno GT Hyper 21 8 Port Ipanema Tires
Spektrum DX3R
Team CFX Racing, RCNB Race Team, CFX Paintworks.com
regg151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 10:56 AM   #8407
Tech Regular

I'll check them out, cheers regg!
Old 08-07-2005, 11:43 AM   #8408
Tech Initiate

Default 2004 to hara 2005 editon conversion

Hey guys do you think the conversion from 2004 editon to hara edition able to be? Do you think we will need cahnging upper grafite deck to lay down throttle servo? May be with some new servo mounts, the throttle servo can be replaced as horizontally without changing the upper deck.
ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 02:53 PM   #8409

Ok, just got back. I did pretty bad this time , not only that my first run the car could barely move. It was so rich it was sometimes almost zero power. Then a few times before it died it shot me into walls when the power would pick up. Ran out of gas with 2 minutes left. Otherwise car ran pretty nice. I think im loving the new twister tires.

Next qualifier. Set the carb for a nice lean low-end and that seemed to fix a lot of my problems....I should have played with this awhile ago. Power was real nice, but couldnt seem to get it right especially on the straight.

Also got greedy and went and purchased a few traction compounds. I applied red dot and omg my car was like glue. First off the twister tires were brand new and they were awesome out of the box. Probably double the grip of my jaco nitro tire setup.....not sure why but thats about how it felt. (I think the jacos might have been really really old)

Then the traction compound just put it over the top. I wanted to cream the competition this time around as I finally got the clutch and power to come around for the 2nd qualifier after so much working on it. I kinda wanted to unleash the evil.

But it made the car pretty touchy and just a little to much turn at times.

Then 45 seconds to go, ran out of gas....wouldnt have done well either way. I was smacking walls pretty bad too. I think it was the powerband just either giving me too much or not enough. Then for the turn onto the straight there was this one pvc pipe that was out to get me. It kept richocheting me into the wall when I would turn in a bit too early. Then it bounced me one time so good I hit the wall and the announcer said, ouch I felt that one. LOL.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 08-07-2005 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:24 PM   #8410
Tech Master

Hey guys wanted to report back after a full day of wrenching on the car...

1st. It was the collet causing the clutch nut to walk in, so I got a different one from a buddy and it is like butter....
2nd. Had to switch back to the original 2speed assembly the lightweight one was showing me no love...
3rd. Had to mess with the carb angle for clearance / not hitting the fuel tank

Basically the car was a mess but it is much better now....need a bit more adjustment on the clutch but she is looking good for next weekends HPI Challenge...
Old 08-07-2005, 04:29 PM   #8411

Quote:
Hey guys wanted to report back after a full day of wrenching on the car...

1st. It was the collet causing the clutch nut to walk in, so I got a different one from a buddy and it is like butter....
2nd. Had to switch back to the original 2speed assembly the lightweight one was showing me no love...
3rd. Had to mess with the carb angle for clearance / not hitting the fuel tank

Basically the car was a mess but it is much better now....need a bit more adjustment on the clutch but she is looking good for next weekends HPI Challenge...
Yeah I know a few people who have given up on the lw 2speed. Its touchy...but I just got mine in check for the track for the last qualfier.

Just keep playing with it, itll come around. Yeah there is like a perfect angle of the carb and the carb throttle that makes it go right by the tank. Otherwise on my old r40 I just got tired of it and dremeld back the tank edge a bit...theres quite a bit of plastic to work with just be sure to watch how close you take it.

Keep on working on it, itll come around. I just got done cleaning mine up and will be getting the bugs worked out. Found out the 3racing front cf bumper brace has a nice crack in it. I might glue it, but I wasnt suprised that smack straight into the wall was pretty bad.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:05 PM   #8412
Tech Master

Well, the car is much better, still not engaging soon enough and I have the clutch nut almost all the way off, any suggestions on this one? I am at about 1/4 throttle before it engages....

On a different topic, does anyone have the baseline carb settings for a Pixxi Black?
Old 08-07-2005, 06:35 PM   #8413
Tech Regular

Quote:
Well, the car is much better, still not engaging soon enough and I have the clutch nut almost all the way off, any suggestions on this one? I am at about 1/4 throttle before it engages....
thats exactly where i got mine, I got it workin but just couldnt get it to engage early enough, so annoying! Using the mugen shoe and spring gets you a little earlier engagement and a hell of a lot more bite but it still wasnt satisfactory imo. Like i said I'm junkin the r40 clutch and running a whole mugen setup. Although I would have loved to now why the R40 clutch simply refused to engage any earlier than 1/4 throttle even after all that adjusting I did!
when I finally get shut of the r40 clutch I will take a 10lb sledge hammer to it, man I'm gonna enjoy that
Old 08-07-2005, 07:09 PM   #8414
Tech Master

I have a Mugen centax, will the HPI pinions thread onto a Mugen endbell????

ugh, this car is going to drive me nuts, all for a 2 day race....
Old 08-07-2005, 07:23 PM   #8415
Tech Addict

Yes they will. I also ran an entire Mugen clutch assembly on my R40.

Dave
dave is offline   Reply With Quote