R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-06-2005, 12:17 PM   #8386
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TigeRyan

Hey guys, got a slight problem with an R40, but it may be a more general problem...Took it out for its maden run out front of my house and it taking way too many RPM's to make the car move, so I figure it is in the clutch somewhere but not sure where....Another thing I noted the pinion gears / endbell were extremely hot (220 degrees by the temp gun) which I have never experienced that before so I am not sure what is wrong.....

I was told so far to check the 2 speed to make sure that is built right, but I am pretty sure that is right, anywhere else to check??? Is this a shimming deal on the clutch or clutch nut tightness???

Any help would be MUCH appreciated as I need to race the car tomorrow in prep for next weeks HPI Challenge in Delaware

Take care!
John
Old 08-06-2005, 01:28 PM   #8387
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigeRyan
Hey guys, got a slight problem with an R40, but it may be a more general problem...Took it out for its maden run out front of my house and it taking way too many RPM's to make the car move, so I figure it is in the clutch somewhere but not sure where....Another thing I noted the pinion gears / endbell were extremely hot (220 degrees by the temp gun) which I have never experienced that before so I am not sure what is wrong.....

I was told so far to check the 2 speed to make sure that is built right, but I am pretty sure that is right, anywhere else to check??? Is this a shimming deal on the clutch or clutch nut tightness???

Any help would be MUCH appreciated as I need to race the car tomorrow in prep for next weeks HPI Challenge in Delaware

Take care!
John
sounds like you need to loosen the clutch adjustor nut.. some people try to adjust the clutch by adding or removing shims.. this is incorrect.. if you have somewhere between .5 and 1.5 mm of endplay your shiims are fine and adjustments by way of the adjustor nut can be done without removing the engine or the clutchbell.
onnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 02:38 PM   #8388
Tech Master

Ok, I am already pretty close to the end, just keep taking it out until it won't stay on anymore???? Would that cause the large amount of heat in the pinion / endbell?

Thanks again!
Old 08-06-2005, 03:14 PM   #8389
Tech Master

Quote:
Ok, I am already pretty close to the end, just keep taking it out until it won't stay on anymore???? Would that cause the large amount of heat in the pinion / endbell?

Thanks again!
The heat is probably caused by the clutch slipping against the clutch bell and heating it up. You need to shim your clutch bell so it has almost no end play. Also make sure that the pins on the flywheel aren't touching the clutch bell. If they are, remove the flywheel, and tap them in just a little bit further. After doing this, I had no problems getting the end play just right and the clutch adjusted easily.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 03:21 PM   #8390
Tech Master

Hey guys, just took the clutch apart and what do I find, the clutch nut has walked its way all the way tight....I have never seen this before, what could cause the nut to tighten itself up?
Old 08-06-2005, 03:22 PM   #8391

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Well guys, its that time of the month. RACE TIME! Im off to go and practice for tommorrows race with Joe from CVEC. As well will be receiving my new CVEC pipe for the R40 from him.

Track should be getting setup as we speak. Also literally just finished the build and everything seems to be near perfect. Just finalized setting the car up and I cant wait to give my final review of this car and build compared to my first one.

So much has gone right on this car. Im very happy with it and noted every little thing that made the difference.

Take care!!
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 03:23 PM   #8392
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Just assembled the centax. I had to remove some material as well from the mugen grey clutch, near the insides of the holes. After that it moved much more smoothly.

After assembley I noticed overall everything seemed to be somewhat thicker making me need to use less shims. I guess thats a given since its brand new disc vs used or maybe the mugen is just thicker?

Then after giving the gears a spin I hear an odd scratching noise when I point the screw down towards the ground. As well sometimes when just spinning upright.

I tried a different thrust bearing, still was there. Everything is brand new otherwise. One thing I did notice is the crankshaft does not come through as far, its not enough to past the outer flange bearing. Normally it would stick out a little.
Sorry i missed it,what is the problem with the r40 standart clutch or is it clutch shoe? İt wears more rapidly or is it very heavy?
ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 03:24 PM   #8393

The stock black hpi clutch disc or pad is known for being inconsistent and slippy. The mugen grey pad is what hara and pretty much every other top hpi driver uses on the r40.

Im about to go and try it , will let you guys know what I think.

Also to note for the scratchiness, it was the flange bearing somehow. I just shot some wd-40 in there and it helped quite a bit. Im going to replace that later.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 08-06-2005 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:02 PM   #8394
Tech Adept

well i think ive made my decision on the car and its the R-40 as mugen is way overpriced !An as for power i'm gonna try the new OS .12tz engine with a Cevec pipe !Any Opinions on my choices !
BatJam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 04:16 PM   #8395
Tech Initiate

Thank you very much artifical, When i have r40 i will give a try to the mugen shoes. What about red clutch, does it work on the r40?
I think R40 andr Tz is a good choice, both have good price/performance. I have Tz and i love it. I had driven a R40 today and it was really rolling, good car.
ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 04:33 PM   #8396
Tech Master

Anybody with any ideas on the clutch nut problem I am having....??

Quote:
Hey guys, just took the clutch apart and what do I find, the clutch nut has walked its way all the way tight....I have never seen this before, what could cause the nut to tighten itself up?
Old 08-06-2005, 04:42 PM   #8397
Tech Master

Quote:
Anybody with any ideas on the clutch nut problem I am having....??
Your flywheel is slipping on the shaft. Did you use the collet that came with the flywheel or the one that came with the engine? Make sure you use the one that came with the kit. Then make sure the the flywheel nut is tightened really good.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 07:21 PM   #8398

Back for a second. Car runs pretty good first time out. My motor is still acting like its ultra rich, but for the maiden run. That has to be the best r40 drive so far. I was using horrible tires though just for the practice. Car is sliding all over.

But im very happy Im not sitting there trying to figure out whats the deal with something or other. I was able to go out and straight run it. Also it seems the mugen pad is mucho better. It has a good snap to it now. I just need to get it to engage lower rpm. It was also getting better and better the more I drove it. Only got one tank in.

Alright guys , back to practice. Im probably going to run till 12 tonight.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:50 PM   #8399
Tech Master

Ok, I think you may be right on the flywheel bit, what I have realized is the collet I have isnt the one for this car / clutch it is about 1-2mm to short, can I add some spacers behind it to make up the difference that is needed in order for it to work or do I need to have the dead-on right collet?

Thanks guy!
Old 08-06-2005, 08:36 PM   #8400
Tech Apprentice

does any one know the part number for that mugen gray pad that artificail was talking about?
thisisagame24 is offline   Reply With Quote