Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-19-2005, 09:07 AM   #8026
Tech Initiate

Thank you very much guys, very helpfull informations. I got it
ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 11:56 AM   #8027

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Hey just found some interesting stuff on the rear diff assembly in the 2004 kit. In the supplemental manual that comes with the one-way. It says to fill the rear diff with oil 5000wt?. In the instructions you can clearly see the shadowing all over.

For the standard kit with diff front and rear setup. It shows use z160 grease to be applied to the gears only.

So my question is.....well crap Its almost too complicated. Ok, what are your thoughts on the use of grease vs diff oil. I heard that the diff oil just leaks out and grease is your best bet with our cars. But im thinking different effects might be found.

I know the only other thing is that the diff oil might be inconsistent. I think even fastharry mentioned something about this.

Im also planning on not using the one-way this time around. What part # is the solid axle and this will allow me to brake correct? I also just got a pro4 and they talk of a spool? Would this be the same effect as the axle, just minus the shaft system. Cause they reccomended it for my track and im thinking it is pretty tight. So im thinking a one-way is making it too tricky.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 12:07 PM   #8028
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

While on the subject of diff oils...

For you guys that are running 2 diffs on a parking lot track, what weights are you running in your diffs??

I'm in the process of tearing my apart and rebuilding them with the 4 gear mod...so trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone
Old 07-19-2005, 01:06 PM   #8029
Tech Master

Spool and solid Axle are the same thing. Using the front one way is the fastest way if you can adjust your driving style. Almost no brakes, you carry max speed through the corners and accelerate far earlier for higher exit speeds.

As far as rear diff oil viscosity or just grease. The rule of thumb is the higher the traction, the harder or thicker oil you can use. If you go too thick, your car will do nothing but spin out. If you can get it right on the edge, your car will be ballistic through the turns. Some of you might know what I mean, but when the ballance is perfect, the rear end of the car just gets dragged or whipped around behind the front and the car just goes where you point the front wheels while you keep giving it more gas.

Front diff oil thickness is more a matter of preference. The thicker you go, the closer to a spool you get. You start loosing initial turn in though. The one way gives you the least rolling resistance and greatest turn in, but you loose front brakes. The reason for a stiffer front diff is greater acceleration out of the turns. The manual says use 50,000 in the front. I have found that to be a little soft for my preference. I remember using diff lock in my racer2 (500,000) with great results. It did have a tendancy to eat up the out drive cups and dog bones though, but it pulled like crazy out of the turns.

You can also mix the different viscositys to get somthing between or partially fill the diff.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:13 PM   #8030
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar
While on the subject of diff oils...

For you guys that are running 2 diffs on a parking lot track, what weights are you running in your diffs??

I'm in the process of tearing my apart and rebuilding them with the 4 gear mod...so trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone
I'm running 100,000 front and 1/3 full of 50,000 with the 4 gear mod in the rear and its worked great so far. I'm thinking of going harder on both but it requires more fiddling around on race day.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:20 PM   #8031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
Spool and solid Axle are the same thing. Using the front one way is the fastest way if you can adjust your driving style. Almost no brakes, you carry max speed through the corners and accelerate far earlier for higher exit speeds.

As far as rear diff oil viscosity or just grease. The rule of thumb is the higher the traction, the harder or thicker oil you can use. If you go too thick, your car will do nothing but spin out. If you can get it right on the edge, your car will be ballistic through the turns. Some of you might know what I mean, but when the ballance is perfect, the rear end of the car just gets dragged or whipped around behind the front and the car just goes where you point the front wheels while you keep giving it more gas.

Front diff oil thickness is more a matter of preference. The thicker you go, the closer to a spool you get. You start loosing initial turn in though. The one way gives you the least rolling resistance and greatest turn in, but you loose front brakes. The reason for a stiffer front diff is greater acceleration out of the turns. The manual says use 50,000 in the front. I have found that to be a little soft for my preference. I remember using diff lock in my racer2 (500,000) with great results. It did have a tendancy to eat up the out drive cups and dog bones though, but it pulled like crazy out of the turns.

You can also mix the different viscositys to get somthing between or partially fill the diff.
Wow, thats some really good info. Thanks.

Also I notice the manual states its part #50000 , but it says in the part reference its 5000 weight oil. Isnt that pretty close to water? LOL, is this a typo or something....can anyone confirm what diff oil weight is includedin the kits?

Also what do you run diff oil or grease? Still wondering why hpi suggest oil for one setup and grease for the other.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 07-19-2005 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:36 PM   #8032
Tech Master

I dont know what weight it is for sure, but it is not anywhere close to being like water.. turn the container upside down and it stays stuck to the bottom..
so its pretty thick..
onnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:59 PM   #8033
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to JAG Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Wow, thats some really good info. Thanks.

Also I notice the manual states its part #50000 , but it says in the part reference its 5000 weight oil. Isnt that pretty close to water? LOL, is this a typo or something....can anyone confirm what diff oil weight is includedin the kits?

Also what do you run diff oil or grease? Still wondering why hpi suggest oil for one setup and grease for the other.

HPI support did confirm to me it is a typo and should be 50,000 on the label.
JAG Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 02:24 PM   #8034

Sweet ill just add a zero to it. Glad someone noticed that. Now I at least have a diff oil worth using. Thanks Jag
Old 07-19-2005, 03:01 PM   #8035

Just ran into another thing. I put the lw 2 speed clutch into the 2 speed housing and its really tight with the slight gap suggested. I basically had to close it to get it to fit and its still rubbing a bit when I spin it. I checked the one I run now and it spins inside without rubbing.

Is this normal? Will it wear down or should I do some sort of sanding?

Last edited by Artificial-I; 07-19-2005 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:24 PM   #8036
Tech Apprentice

^^^^
i have the same problem when i installed the lightweight 2 speed
thisisagame24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 03:27 PM   #8037
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to nsxshogun

Add me to that list because I had the same prob. Thats why I started using the regular tranny again.
nsxshogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 03:29 PM   #8038
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have a used R40 and have put only a few tanks on it so far, so I dont' know what a brand new LW clutch should fit like. But I would sand it down so it spins freely. I imagine it would wear down eventually, but I personally wouldn't want to worry about inconsistent engagment issues.

Hey Roy, sorry I missed you at the last LM race. Hopefully I can get this thing race ready for next month's race. Hopefully also we won't have to worry about this triple digit weather!
gibbous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 03:36 PM   #8039
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Just ran into another thing. I put the 2 speed clutch into the 2 speed housing and its really tight with the slight gap suggested. I basically had to close it to get it to fit and its still rubbing a bit when I spin it. I checked the one I run now and it spins inside without rubbing.

Is this normal? Will it wear down or should I do some sort of sanding?

try beveling the edges of the 2 speed shoes.....
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 03:40 PM   #8040

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastharry
try beveling the edges of the 2 speed shoes.....
Did you encounter the problem as well, did this work out for you?