R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-30-2005, 12:05 AM   #7651
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to KevinO1211
Talking

Hi guys, I just have a question about general nitro that I hoped you guys could help answer. I know that a nitro engine needs to operate between 230* and 270* F, and that the most common way of measuring the temperature is with an infared gun. I am on an extremely low budget, so I am wondering if I can use a contact thermometer and touch it to the area near the base of the glow plug and still get an accurate reading that will be very close to that which I would get from a more expensive infared gun. I am reluctant to use the "spit test" because the accuracy is well... questionable. Please tell me if using a contact thermometer will get readings at least reasonably close to those of an infared gun. Thanks.
KevinO1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:25 AM   #7652
Tech Rookie

Hello,

I wanted to share some pics. of my R40. I have some good hop-ups on the car. I have a L. Collari XS200 3port motor to push this baby. I also made some carbon fiber peices to protect the pipe & servos.
Attached Thumbnails
HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-200849.jpg   HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-200940.jpg   HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-201301.jpg   HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-201351.jpg   HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-201506.jpg  

lreid727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:44 AM   #7653
Tech Rookie

Default Kevin

Kevin,

I've never heard of anyone using that method of measuring the temp on a rc engine, but I'm sure it might work since it does take the temp... The only thing that I would suggest is getting one that can read very high temps. If it doesn't work I'm sure that you can find infraded temp. guns for cheap like ebay or classifieds.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:36 AM   #7654
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinO1211
Hi guys, I just have a question about general nitro that I hoped you guys could help answer. I know that a nitro engine needs to operate between 230* and 270* F, and that the most common way of measuring the temperature is with an infared gun. I am on an extremely low budget, so I am wondering if I can use a contact thermometer and touch it to the area near the base of the glow plug and still get an accurate reading that will be very close to that which I would get from a more expensive infared gun. I am reluctant to use the "spit test" because the accuracy is well... questionable. Please tell me if using a contact thermometer will get readings at least reasonably close to those of an infared gun. Thanks.
hey kev....

this is 22.99 at tower hobbies....

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEMG5&P=7

Last edited by fastharry™; 06-30-2005 at 06:40 AM.
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 03:45 AM   #7655
Tech Rookie

benzoil,

do you have a r40?
Old 06-30-2005, 05:16 AM   #7656

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Yeah I wonder if the mugen flywheel would work as well. Yeah thats the other problem its out of stock on 3racing. Its also a vented flywheel which will help cool the motor too.

I can send anyone the link to the place I got it cause its actually really hard to find.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:26 AM   #7657
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to nsxshogun

Hey actually the spit test is one of the most accurate ways. Because of temp guns all reading temperture a little bit differently.
nsxshogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:38 AM   #7658
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxshogun
Hey actually the spit test is one of the most accurate ways. Because of temp guns all reading temperture a little bit differently.
Yea, but the variances on temp guns is usually within a couple of degree + or -....The spit test is far from accurate - it gives you a nice idea, but its hardly accurate...What happens if you use too much spit or not enough??

get a tempgun....unless you absolutely positively have no choice
Old 06-30-2005, 07:39 AM   #7659
Tech Champion

on a different note...I just bought an R40 - any mods that "need" to be done right off the bat??

Or any hop-ups recommended for duarbility or performance??

thanks
Old 06-30-2005, 07:50 AM   #7660

Front and Rear CF Shock towers are a good start. Both LW 2 speed shafts. Super Chassis and lw 2speed. Those are probably the biggest performance gain parts.

The sidebrace is also something to get along with possibly the titanium screw kit if you want to drop some more weight.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:06 AM   #7661
Tech Addict

I would say nothing is *required*... I bought both lightweight shafts and didn't really notice any difference in performance. However, I would recommend you get the lightweight 2-speed shaft (cheaper of the two) and order some hex screws from www.rcscrewz.com ($19US). That is if you think that philips screws are a pain in the ass
WeatherB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:17 AM   #7662
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherB
...order some hex screws from www.rcscrewz.com ($19US). That is if you think that philips screws are a pain in the ass
I've had bad luck with stuff from rcscrewz.com...I was thinking about replacing the philips with hex anyways, but I already have a place for them....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Front and Rear CF Shock towers are a good start. Both LW 2 speed shafts. Super Chassis and lw 2speed. Those are probably the biggest performance gain parts.

The sidebrace is also something to get along with possibly the titanium screw kit if you want to drop some more weight.
Thanks...I was looking at the LW parts...I was also thinking about replacing the rear chassis brace with something carbon or aluminum, the composite just looks a little too flexy for me Gonna have to see what 3Racing has

The Super Chassis will have to wait until next season
Old 06-30-2005, 09:34 AM   #7663

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar
I've had bad luck with stuff from rcscrewz.com...I was thinking about replacing the philips with hex anyways, but I already have a place for them....

Thanks...I was looking at the LW parts...I was also thinking about replacing the rear chassis brace with something carbon or aluminum, the composite just looks a little too flexy for me Gonna have to see what 3Racing has

The Super Chassis will have to wait until next season
Yeah that rear brace has an hpi option part and 3racing as well as probably a few others. The hpi part is way overpriced , get the 3racing or gpm.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:36 AM   #7664
Tech Addict

I've ordered twice from rcscrews and no problems.
WeatherB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:23 AM   #7665
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherB
I've ordered twice from rcscrews and no problems.
I've had problems with the screws that were included in the set - was missing some and some were the wrong sizes....

So because of that, I order what I need instead of a "set" - this way I have enough to do the chassis, plus extras "just in case"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Yeah that rear brace has an hpi option part and 3racing as well as probably a few others. The hpi part is way overpriced , get the 3racing or gpm.
Yeah, no kidding the HPI parts are overpriced...Was just looking at some prices on things at tower and my jaws dropped Looks like its gonna be 3Racing or Integy for me (don't like GPM's stuff)