R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-20-2005, 07:37 AM   #7471
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD
Lightbulb

Regg- How is your car running at Floyd? I was there yesterday. Was really great with a lot of 8th onroad guys. Too bad my LHS didn't have an R40 tank so I was stuck running a "fixed" tank. Unfortunately it started leaking again so I stopped and tried the 8th. That too had a problem; someone wason my frequency. It was this rick prick who has a loaded MRX4, can't drive, and whined about someone being on his frequency. We didn't argue or anything, but I let him run a tank. It was a great day overall, but looking forward to getting the MRX4 up and running. So far the R40 did well on the track, but I have to remember to stick to the drivers line as the car, especially on the straight hits the bumps.

Old 06-20-2005, 10:39 AM   #7472
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If any body could help me with the clutch on my R40.
The car was running fine and very fast about three weeks ago at our last race. Two weeks ago the engine really had to rev to get going. I inspected the cluth and found that the adjustment nut moved all the way down so I readjusted the nut and put a drop of lock-tite on it. The problem is still there and the nut is set to factory specs. and I have the right amount of spacers on the cluth bell. Could it be that the clutch is worn out?

Any info or help and I would be so thankful

I am not wanting to sell my car but I can not race when it will not go
ChrisR40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 11:22 AM   #7473
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to JAG Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisR40
If any body could help me with the clutch on my R40.
The car was running fine and very fast about three weeks ago at our last race. Two weeks ago the engine really had to rev to get going. I inspected the cluth and found that the adjustment nut moved all the way down so I readjusted the nut and put a drop of lock-tite on it. The problem is still there and the nut is set to factory specs. and I have the right amount of spacers on the cluth bell. Could it be that the clutch is worn out?

Any info or help and I would be so thankful

I am not wanting to sell my car but I can not race when it will not go
The original black clutch shoe can heat up and "glaze" causing it to slip. You should replace the shoe if everything else looks mechanically sound. Consider using a Mugen grey clutch shoe and a mugen spring since you are already in there...

Just to test this theory out, take some sandpaper and rough up the shoe and test it out...
JAG Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 11:26 AM   #7474
Tech Regular

Default Clutch Bell bearings

OK - Once again, I blew out the outer clutch bell bearing this past weekend. Its like clockwork, it lasts about 4 months only (or 8 - 10 races). This bearing is clearly undersized for the application in my opinion. I am going to replace it every 6 - 8 races from now on as preventive maintenance. In addition, I will start to lubricate it more frequently.

Other than that, the car was flawless this past weekend.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:54 AM   #7475
Tech Regular

thank you so much
ChrisR40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:04 PM   #7476
Tech Master

New price on used R40.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:04 PM   #7477
Tech Regular

Hi just a quickly, need to decide on a throttle/brake servo. I have a torquey 168 oz-in (12kg.cm) servo will this be fine or a bit OTT, having not needed decent brakes for car park bashing Iím not to sure how much pressure needs to be applied to the rear disc to provide good braking.

Cheers
Hesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:59 PM   #7478
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default R40 2 - Speed Transmission

I don't believe my transmission is shifting. Cannot hear a change from zero to WOT. What should I be checking to make sure it is working properly?
svines1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:51 PM   #7479
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky
Hi just a quickly, need to decide on a throttle/brake servo. I have a torquey 168 oz-in (12kg.cm) servo will this be fine or a bit OTT, having not needed decent brakes for car park bashing Iím not to sure how much pressure needs to be applied to the rear disc to provide good braking.

Cheers
A stock HB servo provides plenty of braking for my car with the proper linkage setup.

Quote:
I don't believe my transmission is shifting. Cannot hear a change from zero to WOT. What should I be checking to make sure it is working properly?
Check the screws for shifting and make sure you didn't crank them down in. If you have the stock setup, I never really managed to get it to shift and later on went with the LW 2speed as its much better than stock.

Jag- My friend blew his clutchbell on the R40 at floyd yesterday. I don't think he lubed it or anything. His ride was done for the day.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:52 PM   #7480
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to regg151 Send a message via AIM to regg151 Send a message via Yahoo to regg151

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
Regg- How is your car running at Floyd? I was there yesterday. Was really great with a lot of 8th onroad guys. Too bad my LHS didn't have an R40 tank so I was stuck running a "fixed" tank. Unfortunately it started leaking again so I stopped and tried the 8th. That too had a problem; someone wason my frequency. It was this rick prick who has a loaded MRX4, can't drive, and whined about someone being on his frequency. We didn't argue or anything, but I let him run a tank. It was a great day overall, but looking forward to getting the MRX4 up and running. So far the R40 did well on the track, but I have to remember to stick to the drivers line as the car, especially on the straight hits the bumps.
I was up at prospeed raceway had a blast managed to snag second place in the B-main not bad considering all the problems I was having with my steering, got that solved just intime for the main only to have my pipe get dislodged 30 sec into the main ran it that way till it flamed out with 30 seconds left on the clock.

as for flloyd my R40 runs great out there plenty of power for the infield and I top out about 3/4 of the way down the back straight. I know what you mean about the ripples on the outter edge of the back straight they can be deadly if you don't know about them.

as for the freequncy issues thats the main reason I got the JR XS3 now it's just find an open channel and continue to enjoy my day

Inferno GT Hyper 21 8 Port Ipanema Tires
Spektrum DX3R
Team CFX Racing, RCNB Race Team, CFX Paintworks.com
regg151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:53 PM   #7481
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky

Cheers

More like WOTT -- I have used a Z270 for a couple of years with NO problems -- it is 49 oz...
Old 06-20-2005, 02:03 PM   #7482
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by regg151
I was up at prospeed raceway had a blast managed to snag second place in the B-main not bad considering all the problems I was having with my steering, got that solved just intime for the main only to have my pipe get dislodged 30 sec into the main ran it that way till it flamed out with 30 seconds left on the clock.

as for flloyd my R40 runs great out there plenty of power for the infield and I top out about 3/4 of the way down the back straight. I know what you mean about the ripples on the outter edge of the back straight they can be deadly if you don't know about them.

as for the freequncy issues thats the main reason I got the JR XS3 now it's just find an open channel and continue to enjoy my day
So you think...the spektrm is worth it? I planned on buying the M8 and spektrum model, or spektrum radio, or buying the JR pro radio since it hasa smaller rx. I'm debatingthe option on selling the 8th andbuying a spektrum, synth radio, or m8 with spektrum, or sell the R40 with engine and once choice of radio options. Both ways I'll make enough $$ for a real car and insurance.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:14 PM   #7483
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

HarKonnenD : Where can I purchase the LW 2 - speed?
svines1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 02:18 PM   #7484
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to nsxshogun

Towerhobbies.com

or rcmart.com

There is also one on ebay right now.
nsxshogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 02:19 PM   #7485
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to regg151 Send a message via AIM to regg151 Send a message via Yahoo to regg151

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
So you think...the spektrm is worth it? I planned on buying the M8 and spektrum model, or spektrum radio, or buying the JR pro radio since it hasa smaller rx. I'm debatingthe option on selling the 8th andbuying a spektrum, synth radio, or m8 with spektrum, or sell the R40 with engine and once choice of radio options. Both ways I'll make enough $$ for a real car and insurance.
I don't know much about the spektrum other what I see in the mags. I just like the ability to just switch to an open channel with the JR xs3 from what I hear the spektrum looks like it may be the way to go but I just got my XS3 last year so it'll be another year or 2 before I get anything else. personally i'd just stick with what ya got as the hardcore guys move up to newer stuff you should have no issues. It all comes down to how often you race at a track if it's only every so often then why bother it's not the radio that makes the driver yea it'l help but there are better things to spend money on. if you don't race often stash your cash for something else.

Inferno GT Hyper 21 8 Port Ipanema Tires
Spektrum DX3R
Team CFX Racing, RCNB Race Team, CFX Paintworks.com
regg151 is offline   Reply With Quote