R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-16-2005, 08:53 PM   #7396

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

BTW. I got my ofna pit bag. The thing is great. Comes with transmitter bag , tool pouch. Im so happy, I cant wait till I use it.

Also in came my novak xxtra rx , man those things are tiny. But now I finally , finally get to run my XXX-NT Adam Drake version. Ought to be fun. I hope it runs well.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:23 PM   #7397
Tech Regular

The RDL R3 isnt half tempting! looks the bizz to!

I'm Still hankering after a rody or Murnan though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Yeah I wanted to get the rdlogic motor. Also they have infinity motors as well, just on the website the selection is poor.

But if you want another smoker on a budget. After doing quite a bit of research. I found the STS D3R and D5R motors. You can get them for very cheap.

Contact projectzen.net they got some really good prices. Iíam also trying to be as budget minded as possible on my car. At least Iíve always gone that way in the motor department. I just cant stand buying something thatís so nice thatís bound to goto crap. Even more so get some great motor and mess up or something and watch 380 dollar murnan or something go down the drain cause the filter pops off or something.

With my 130 motor. I just cry a little and get a new one and another...before even really paying for 1 of the murnan modified.

But just lately Iíve started modifying my own motors. I hope to perfect it...but so far the simple stuff I done is looking great. Now I just need to reassemble these motors and test them out.
What your saying makes a lot of sense!! but with racing its all relative I guess, I think back when I've spent 100+ on wheels and tires over a weekend national meet and all Iíve got to show for the dosh spent is a few worn dirty wheels which end up in the bin.
Although I've got a lot to learn about racing nitro's ahead of me. The wise person inside me says go cheap on the motor 4 now, but I never listen to that guy anyway and save the for later.

cheers
Hesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:30 PM   #7398

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Yeah dont let the price tag fool you the STS motors can scream from what I hear just as good as the novas. Iam very happy that new companies and even old are setting out to bring fast cheaper motors.

OS TZ , STS D3R and RDL all come to mind for great budget motors that perform just as good if not I hear even better.

Also the STS D3R is a factory modified motor. So its basically a modified....at least I think. I checked out only the exhaust port so far and it does look pretty clean compared to other motors ive seen.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:12 PM   #7399
Tech Regular

Add to that list Sirio and DH (not sure if DH motors are any good though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Also the STS D3R is a factory modified motor. So its basically a modified....at least I think. I checked out only the exhaust port so far and it does look pretty clean compared to other motors ive seen.
This is the D5R Factory Modified Limited Edition

Another damn temping engine!
Hesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:24 PM   #7400
Tech Master

the os .12tz seems to be the new rave in budget onroad motors..
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJFY9&P=ML

and here is the thread to read about it....
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60521
onnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:32 PM   #7401
Tech Initiate

I got a question...... I run a permanent track and is very well prepared with sugar water and VHT. I am just wondering what a good starting point is for cutting down your foam tires.
R40LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:43 PM   #7402
Tech Regular

Default nitro tuning

gents:

got an r40 and for the first time i was running it on foams over a flowing asphalt track. after 1 full-tank, i checked on the temperature of my engine and was so surprised to see 280 degrees F

Was so used to running my car on rubber and cement surface which is really technical and kept it at 208 degrees F max.

Just wanted to get a reminder from everyone on this thread = how do I decrease the temperature again? is it lean out or richen? pls advice. ty.
jihernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:48 PM   #7403
Tech Master

You need to richen your high speed needle. Sounds like you run rich on the low end needle. Running on a tight track, you spend more time off the throttle. On a high speed track you need to richen up the high speed needle to keep the temp down.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:51 PM   #7404
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
You need to richen your high speed needle. Sounds like you run rich on the low end needle. Running on a tight track, you spend more time off the throttle. On a high speed track you need to richen up the high speed needle to keep the temp down.
that's wierd I though I needed to lean out HSN?
Am using 5-port Sirio engine and my HSN setting now is at 5 turns out which is still a bit rich. hmmmmmm.
jihernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:52 PM   #7405
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by R40LV
I got a question...... I run a permanent track and is very well prepared with sugar water and VHT. I am just wondering what a good starting point is for cutting down your foam tires.
Thats depends on you own personal preference. If you check out Hara's steup for his ROAR champ race, he cut his down so he wouldn't have much left at the end of the main. If you look on HPI's website he has his starting diameters listed. Me, I just lower my car so I get more runtime on my foams. I'm just too cheap to true them down. I'm also not that great of a racer so it all good for me.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 11:27 PM   #7406
Tech Initiate

Yeah I noticed Hara did cut his down alot... but he was running on a very high grip track.... the track I run on isnt as high grip as that.....I guess I just have to test and tune with the car and find out.....

If you dont cut down your tires on the track I run on.... you will be traction rolling in every corner.... spending more time on your lid than your wheels.....
R40LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 03:02 AM   #7407
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky
Hi, I'm for sure gettin the turbo 2 pipe as I've seen to many recommendation to ignore, sure the outlaw will run even better than the legal one to.

I'm finding it very hard to track down a dealer (definitely gettin the motor from outside the uk now) for the Murnan modded Mugen's you mention or a NS12S5 hot mod motor or even the modded novas by JP.
Any places have them for sale?

Cheers
From the size of your track you should not need too much of a top end motor. The Nova NS12 is a good all around motor. The Sirio EVO 3 is nice but a little slow out of slower stuff so probably wont suit you. Another cheap and nice motor is the STS D3R or D5R motors, very good bottom end.

The Turbo II works nicely with the NS12 motors, but it uses more fuel than most other pipes. It is fast, but lacks some throttle feel.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 03:03 AM   #7408
Tech Elite

Quote:
Just been chattin to Uriah Murnan and he says the reason why he mods the X12 and likes them so much is because the piston is CNC, not Microcast. Thinkin about it a lot of people mod the straight ns (CNC piston) not the nsr (MC). could the difference in piston construction be the reason? sort of puts me off the nsr12.
Murnan mod X12 is 3 port right? I'm thinkin a Rody 5 port motor will be out and out faster as I'm not concerned with legalities. not sure if your referring to that Rody 5 or 3 port as cheaper.
Took me all of 1 second to decide on the R40 and forever on an engine

Soz if I went a little off topic
Yes the NSR is microcast, the NS is not. The CNC piston is the one to get in my books as well.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:05 AM   #7409
Tech Elite

Quote:
The RDL R3 isnt half tempting! looks the bizz to!

I'm Still hankering after a rody or Murnan though

What your saying makes a lot of sense!! but with racing its all relative I guess, I think back when I've spent 100+ on wheels and tires over a weekend national meet and all Iíve got to show for the dosh spent is a few worn dirty wheels which end up in the bin.
Although I've got a lot to learn about racing nitro's ahead of me. The wise person inside me says go cheap on the motor 4 now, but I never listen to that guy anyway and save the for later.

cheers
The RDL motors as basically identical to the STS D3R and D5R motors. They are very fast motors. Some quality issues with them however if you are unlucky.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:32 AM   #7410
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Agree with the above post...

Mine came with a defective main needle.
WeatherB is offline   Reply With Quote