R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-13-2005, 12:02 PM   #7336
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by svines1972
Ok, so just use a little oil in the rear? Do you mean just enough to wet the gears, not the advice I was given, to fill the whole diff with oil? I have some 10,000, would that be ok? Also I am running a one way in the front.
Just wet the gears, it has worked for everyone here, give it a try, you don't have to spend, but a couple of minutes cleaning out the diff and just place a bit of diff grease, just enough to wet them... and you are done.
KLANDERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:16 PM   #7337
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
Where are you running it? My friend said to try a solid rear axle and one way upfront. The rubber tires do have quite a bit of traction, but when I ran mine with gear diffs, the car slide out under acceleration quite easily. I also notice when it spun out one of the rear wheels snagged the ground pretty good and caused the car to flip. The solid rear should fix that and the oneway up front will offer traction as well...but only under acceleration. You may also have to play with the shock settings too. I haven't seen many using rubbers on the R40.
Outdoor parking lot. I've never been there, it's Hobby Town Corona for any of you So-Cal R40 drivers. They probably sweep or blow it off, and that's it. I don't know the condition of the asphalt. I will probably tune for medium traction, bring at least a couple sets of different temp tires...get there as early as I can and hope for the best!

Does anyone know why a solid rear diff works better than a gear diff mechanically? I always thought allowing one tire to spin slower than the other tire helped traction in the rear in turns. Perhaps it works better only in certain situations? I think this track will be medium-sized as it has to be small enough for electric stock, but big enough for nitro power.
gibbous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 02:40 PM   #7338
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbous
Outdoor parking lot. I've never been there, it's Hobby Town Corona for any of you So-Cal R40 drivers. They probably sweep or blow it off, and that's it. I don't know the condition of the asphalt. I will probably tune for medium traction, bring at least a couple sets of different temp tires...get there as early as I can and hope for the best!

Does anyone know why a solid rear diff works better than a gear diff mechanically? I always thought allowing one tire to spin slower than the other tire helped traction in the rear in turns. Perhaps it works better only in certain situations? I think this track will be medium-sized as it has to be small enough for electric stock, but big enough for nitro power.
That just how a rear gear diff works. If you fill it with super thick oil or play dough or something it will work like a solid rear axle. Solid rears allow both wheels to turn at the same rate so it pushes the car faster in acceleration and out of the turns. It all depends on the situation. However you will never see ball diffs and gear diffs on an 8th onroad or 235mm. They are designed to run with oneway diffs and SRA's. Its just that when using powerful engines and gear diffs on the R40 it takes a setup to make them work. Long before I owned the R40 no one liked running rubbers on it.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:40 PM   #7339
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbous

I race an R40 in So Cal. I haven't gone to the Hobbytown race in Corona yet, but have heard that the traction is pretty good. Foams should work there. 37 or 40 shore.

Varying the tightness of the rear diff is a tuning issue. The rule of thumb is, the higher the traction, the tighter the rear diff can be. If you run an open diff (just lubricating grease) you will never have any problems, but you can get way more power down to the ground by keeping the rear as tight as possible. The front oneway rear solid setup only works on high grip permanent tracks. You can get away with it at Revelation, but not at any of the parking lot tracks. Just not enough traction. Ball diffs are great because you can dial it in for the track conditions. Some people cary 2, 3 or even 4 spare diffs with varying diff oil weights for that very reason. The one disadvantage to the ball diff is that they require frequent maintenance. They are plenty durable though. You can take a peek in the Serpent 710 thread to see how many racers use a ball diff (almost all).

Your reasoning on wanting one tire to rotate faster to allow both the grip is not really correct. What happens is under acceleration the inside tire looses grip and starts to spin. A stiffer diff will transfer that power to the outside tire so you can put the power down to the pavement.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 12:29 AM   #7340
Tech Master

Default shock springs

anyone know where I can purchase the full set of springs for the r40?

it sure would be nice if they were offered in one package.....

EDIT: well I found most of what I needed.. is their just the silver, black, and gold for front and rear?

Last edited by onnetz; 06-14-2005 at 12:43 AM.
onnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:51 AM   #7341
Tech Elite

From what this chart says those are the ones to fit the R40. I guess you can use others.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:33 AM   #7342

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by onnetz
anyone know where I can purchase the full set of springs for the r40?

it sure would be nice if they were offered in one package.....

EDIT: well I found most of what I needed.. is their just the silver, black, and gold for front and rear?
Yup thats it. You can also get the RED PROCEED REAR. That should about have you setup.

I remember on my rs4-2 there were tons of springs. They were all pretty much useless except for the red white combo which came stock on the racer2. I sometimes used yellow/white. But white would never come out of there on that car....at least for me.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 07:50 AM   #7343
Tech Elite

Baa! Turns out not only is there a bit of crack in the upper deck near the sign, the fuel tank may have a slight crack. I started the engine up and ran it for a tank, but it didn't have any problem running. Still gonna get replacements, but meantime gonna put it down and run the 8th. It's gonna be fun.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:17 PM   #7344
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to nsxshogun

Got the dragon! Still gotta get a cold plug though. I also have to work out the steering problem. There is no slop in the plate as I can see but I have to take the car apart to make sure. AI do you have any more suggestions for the slop. Thats the only problem with this car.

LOL I have yet to finish this body. I started painting like monday Am

nsxshogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:34 PM   #7345
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to regg151 Send a message via AIM to regg151 Send a message via Yahoo to regg151

NSX how much toe in you have in the rear looks pretty extreme? or it could just be the angle the pic was taken from.

body's lookin good so far when you going to finish it?

Inferno GT Hyper 21 8 Port Ipanema Tires
Spektrum DX3R
Team CFX Racing, RCNB Race Team, CFX Paintworks.com
regg151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:39 PM   #7346
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to nsxshogun

LOL yea that was the pic when I first put the motor in. I got the car from a friend who let the local lhs put it together for him. Let me tell you they suck at putting kits togheter. One side was running like 3degress toe in and the other like 2. And the rear camber was like 2 for the left and like 4 for the right. I'm still going over the car to make sure its good before I run it tomarrow.
nsxshogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:48 PM   #7347
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to goldenboy

hey watch it..lol i work at a lhs, haha naw but normally whem people ask us to put it together, we put it together, we dont set it up. so next time u tell them to put a car together, tell them to set it up also.
goldenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:51 PM   #7348
Tech Elite

Looks good NSX. Get some outdoor shots.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:02 PM   #7349
Tech Master

nsx: are those the silver or gold springs on the rear?
onnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 06:08 AM   #7350
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

those are the golds.
nitroracer20 is offline   Reply With Quote