R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-12-2005, 11:59 PM   #7321
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

Quote:
Originally Posted by R40LV
OK... I am just wondering if everyone on here knows that if you were to go to a big race (Texas Biggie, Great Lakes Challenge, Paris Memorial) or hell even a National event. That you would be able to run the Lola bodies... I would suggest that if you want the real feel for a sedan car use a sedan body.... I would suggest the Mazda 6 body..... YES!! they are cool, but the car handles totally different with a sedan body on it.....

Oh yeah last night at a race i went to I saw a Novarossi and an O.S. TZ just whip up on a RODY RB12...... so that engine isnt as fast as I thought it was.....
Not quite. Rody's do scream and all 3 are quite powerful. If one wasn't tuned as well as the others, surely it would fall behind. Don't forget driving skill and car setup counts. Aside from seing Rodys, NS12s, Palmaris, etc, a friend of mine does really well with an RB X12 3 port std at the track.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:20 AM   #7322
Tech Initiate

Im not saying there is nothing wrong with it.... I just thought with the name RODY on it it shoud be no competiton for the other brands.... I guess the other guys just got their stuff together and finally caught up.......
R40LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:26 AM   #7323
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by R40LV
Im not saying there is nothing wrong with it.... I just thought with the name RODY on it it shoud be no competiton for the other brands.... I guess the other guys just got their stuff together and finally caught up.......
a great motor with a lousy tune is no match for a good motor with a great tune.
onnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:07 AM   #7324
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Gear mesh

Wait a second, you guys set your gear mesh snug?, as in no play? Or is there a bit of play? I use the thin-sheet-o-paper method. I put a piece of paper between the gears, smoosh the gears togethter, tighten, and remove the paper. Seems to work okay...so far. But I haven't really raced it yet....

Thanks for the Vids, Hark!
gibbous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:30 AM   #7325
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Rear Diff Oil

Yesterday I think I was given some bad advice. Maybe someone here can help me. I discovered that the Diff had very little oil in it. Was told to put 30,000 weight oil in it. The original kit comes with 5,000 weight oil. Also need to know how much to put in. The reason I ask is after I put the 30,000 oil in the car became very loose, I had to baby the throttle thru a 10 minute main.
svines1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:39 AM   #7326
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by svines1972
Yesterday I think I was given some bad advice. Maybe someone here can help me. I discovered that the Diff had very little oil in it. Was told to put 30,000 weight oil in it. The original kit comes with 5,000 weight oil. Also need to know how much to put in. The reason I ask is after I put the 30,000 oil in the car became very loose, I had to baby the throttle thru a 10 minute main.
ok check it out. On the frnt diff, the thiker the oil, the better, if you can get a solid rear diff and place it in the front diff, that's even better, your car will be lighter and handle better, or you can go with the one way diff in the front. Nowfor the rear I brely use light grease, when I sat barely, I mean a dab just to have the diff lube up. I recomend you do this otherwise your car will be loose all the time...
good luck
KLANDERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:41 AM   #7327
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbous
Wait a second, you guys set your gear mesh snug?, as in no play? Or is there a bit of play? I use the thin-sheet-o-paper method. I put a piece of paper between the gears, smoosh the gears togethter, tighten, and remove the paper. Seems to work okay...so far. But I haven't really raced it yet....

Thanks for the Vids, Hark!
YOu are right, always have some play as to not chug the spurs. the paper tip is pretty standard.
KLANDERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:44 AM   #7328
Tech Master

Ok, so just use a little oil in the rear? Do you mean just enough to wet the gears, not the advice I was given, to fill the whole diff with oil? I have some 10,000, would that be ok? Also I am running a one way in the front.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:46 AM   #7329
Tech Master

Okay, cool. I figured it was the like that. Being a nitro noob, I just don't want to assume anything!

More diff questions: A ball diff would weigh less because instead of oil, it would use a spring tension to control the diff action. So why doesn't it come with a ball diff? Would a ball diff just melt the gear because of the high RPMs?

I hope to see some actual race action this weekend in a parking lot race. If anyone has any more setups to post for non-prepped foam on asphalt, please do!
Old 06-13-2005, 09:59 AM   #7330
Tech Elite

Lightbulb Lola bodies...possibly for 10th onroad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onnetz
a great motor with a lousy tune is no match for a good motor with a great tune.

^^The point I was trying to make R40LV ^^. It's very fashionable yes, but RB did their work on this. I have an older generation Rody infact it's the first Rody, but it still keeps up with the ROAR and EFRA legal versions which just rev quicker. I still prefer mine since it's more reliable than my friends ROAR version.

Klander,Regg,NSX,Onnetz,AI,Jag-I found out those bodies my friend gave me are either for 10th pans...or the 10th nitro onroad!!! I measured the front and it came out to 235mm wide. The rear is even wider. My R40 looks kinda funny with the big body on. The only way to fix it, is to try that Wolf pack upgrade which allows me to run those big tires upfront and I'll try a way to get the fat rear tires in the back. Widening the pivot balls out a tiny bit more may be needed so I'll probably try to find longer ones. Since I'm still looking for a real car the R40 will lay low while I try to get rid of the other cars. I forgot to mention to you all I'll be going to camp for 7 weeks so I'll be away for quite a while. Gonna turn of the subs for the forums so my inbox doesn't get crowded. Before I go the 8th needs to be run and R40 cleaned and stored.

Last edited by HarKonnenD; 06-13-2005 at 10:20 AM.
HarKonnenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:22 AM   #7331
Tech Master

Okay, it looks like I need RUBBER setups on asphalt, not foam on asphalt.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:23 AM   #7332
Tech Elite

Quote:
Okay, cool. I figured it was the like that. Being a nitro noob, I just don't want to assume anything!

More diff questions: A ball diff would weigh less because instead of oil, it would use a spring tension to control the diff action. So why doesn't it come with a ball diff? Would a ball diff just melt the gear because of the high RPMs?

I hope to see some actual race action this weekend in a parking lot race. If anyone has any more setups to post for non-prepped foam on asphalt, please do!
Pretty much. Ball diffs aren't able to withstand the power of today's engines which is why either the gear diff or solid rear axle and one way diff are used. A ball diff in a nitro sedan with a high powered engine equals lots of maintainance. Those tiny thrust balls and diff rings wouldn't stand a chance.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:25 AM   #7333
Tech Elite

Quote:
Okay, it looks like I need RUBBER setups on asphalt, not foam on asphalt.
Where are you running it? My friend said to try a solid rear axle and one way upfront. The rubber tires do have quite a bit of traction, but when I ran mine with gear diffs, the car slide out under acceleration quite easily. I also notice when it spun out one of the rear wheels snagged the ground pretty good and caused the car to flip. The solid rear should fix that and the oneway up front will offer traction as well...but only under acceleration. You may also have to play with the shock settings too. I haven't seen many using rubbers on the R40.

Last edited by HarKonnenD; 06-13-2005 at 10:41 AM.
HarKonnenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:43 AM   #7334
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default New R40 for sale

I have a brand new, never opened HPI r40 kit that I am trying to sell. I am asking $225 shipped if anyone is interested.
Please email me at [email protected]
Thanks!
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:49 AM   #7335
Tech Master

Default Rear Diff ???

Ok, so just use a little oil in the rear? Do you mean just enough to wet the gears, not the advice I was given, to fill the whole diff with oil? I have some 10,000, would that be ok? Also I am running a one way in the front. Also, if running a front one-way, some post are advising to run a solid rear diff to go with it. Where can I get one?

Last edited by svines1972; 06-13-2005 at 12:06 PM.