Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-28-2003, 07:32 AM   #706
Tech Regular

hpi gives you a personal transponder mount. it mounts near the two speed
Omar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 09:16 AM   #707
Tech Regular

Omar,

That mount is actually for a regular transponder. A personal would need an adapter to be able to mount it there. In addition the power would have to be run all the way across the top try, something most don't want to do.
treky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 09:22 AM   #708
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by dgill
I finally got my personal transponder in and i was wondering where everyone mounted theirs? I see it says not to put it on top of carbon fiber so i was looking for some suggestions. Anyone have any pics of it installed?
I like putting mine on top of the foam bumper. I use some strong hook and loop fastener stuff (Velcro), so that I can easily move my personal transponder between cars.

Just remember, although it's important for the transponder to have a clear view to the loop (be it a loop in the track or a bridge) without looking through metal, it is more important to have the transponder mounted flat in the car. The signal is seriously weakened if you mount the thing up on end in some way. 90% of the time when a transponder is not working at our track, it's because the thing is mounted on end instead of flat.. the other 10% it's not plugged in or just plain broken.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 09:30 AM   #709

Quote:
Originally posted by OB42TC3
I guess it wasn't clear in my post but the weight limit is w/empty tank, with the body on. Rubber tires are about 3 oz heavier total. I want to make sure the car is near 60 oz w/body and 60 mm dia foams.
Thanks for the replies guys, 68 oz is a little heavy, and yes lighter is always better in a race car. You could get it a little lighter by going with fut 9550 servos, and 700 mah batteries (3 Oz?) and small tires (.5 oz*4) but all things being equal the best you can do is 63 compared to 60. I don't know if it really matters though b/c these can accelerate over 1.5G anyway especially with the HP of the engines constantly going higher.
OB42TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 09:47 AM   #710
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Fellas,

What I did with my personal transponder was cut out a spot in the front bumper the size of the transponder under the top bumper brace. This way, the brace helps to hold it in place and the bumper protects it in impacts. This was how I had it at the HPI Worlds. It registered fine with the transponder loop. In fact, this is the way I have it in all of my competition tourers.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 11:39 AM   #711
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

Quote:
Originally posted by JLock
Fellas,

What I did with my personal transponder was cut out a spot in the front bumper the size of the transponder under the top bumper brace. This way, the brace helps to hold it in place and the bumper protects it in impacts. This was how I had it at the HPI Worlds. It registered fine with the transponder loop. In fact, this is the way I have it in all of my competition tourers.
Do noticed any change on the car behaviour with that little extra weight too much on the edge of the car ?

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 01:24 PM   #712
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Tabushi
Do noticed any change on the car behaviour with that little extra weight too much on the edge of the car ?
I noticed no change in its behavior. Plus, it puts the transponder out front so if you and another car crosses the line at the same time and the other guy has his transponder mounted further back on his car, you get the position of him. I had this happen to me at a club race, so I did as the Roman did.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:05 PM   #713
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to dgill Send a message via AIM to dgill Send a message via MSN to dgill

thanks for the suggestions, i think im gonna try to mount mine up under the bumper, sounds like a good place. any suggestions on how to cut out the bumber or how to run the wires?
dgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 03:33 PM   #714
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by dgill
thanks for the suggestions, i think im gonna try to mount mine up under the bumper, sounds like a good place. any suggestions on how to cut out the bumber or how to run the wires?
Use an X-acto knife and cut the top of the bumper. Take the PT and trace around it the area that you want to cut into the bumper. Make it deep enough to make the top of the PT even with the surface of the bumper but not too deep as to not have the bumper insulate it (which is the key). I ran the wire out of the triangle hole in the brace. I dremeled a slot to run the wire into the receiver box to plug it into the third channel. Hope this helps. I will post a pic of how mine is done tomorrow.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:32 PM   #715
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to dgill Send a message via AIM to dgill Send a message via MSN to dgill

thanks for the help. if you could post a pic i would really appreciate it, my biggest concern is how the wire runs from the bumper to the receiver box without getting in the way, i think i found a way to hold it there but i just wanna make sure.

thanks again

Dennis
Old 10-29-2003, 12:57 PM   #716
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hey guys, I was just checking out HPI's online instructions for the R40. I noticed that they call for 5000wt diff fluid in the front, but none at all in the rear. How well does that work? Is the performance good like that, or do you guys run a different combination?

Also, how well do the HPI diffs seal up. Do they need additional silicone sealant to prevent leaking.

Thanks in advance for the answers, and I'll probably have more questions since I plan on getting an R40 to race next season.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:11 PM   #717
Tech Apprentice

i put 10000 in the rear, i wouldnt run it empty. And the seals that come with them work well, i havent had any leak issues.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:38 PM   #718
Tech Regular

my front diff leaked at first untill i replaced the diff case and seal No problem since
Omar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 04:10 PM   #719
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks for the replys guys. Anything interesting or important I should know about the car?

Anybody got pics of their car and the way they have the wires routed?

Just thinking ahead...
Old 10-29-2003, 04:43 PM   #720
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via MSN to racecar850 Send a message via Yahoo to racecar850 Send a message via Skype™ to racecar850
Talking STEPPING UP

Darkseid.....looks like i`ll have to make some changes in the NTC3 pits.....maybe a different car

DRIVING...An inconvenient way of getting from A to B
racecar850 is offline   Reply With Quote