R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-02-2005, 09:41 AM   #7111
Tech Fanatic
 
KLANDERMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Guatemala, Central America
Posts: 917
Default LIGHTWEIGHT UPPER DECK!!!

Well I just received my titanium screws and my LW upper deck...
For those of you who still don't have the LW upper deck, but want to with out spending any $$$, I drew around the LW upper deck and in a minute will be scanning it, so that if you place it on top of your stock upper deck you can trace lines and convert the stock into a LW upper deck. I know it wont be completely like buying the regular LW upper deck because I think it has less layers of fibber, but atleast you wont have to spend like $30 bucks and you can modify yours...
KLANDERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:54 AM   #7112
Tech Fanatic
 
KLANDERMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Guatemala, Central America
Posts: 917
Default

here we go with the scan, hope you guys can use it. If you dremmel it make sure you have protective eye wear and a mask so you don't inhale fiber parts...

good luck fellas
Attached Thumbnails
HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-lw-upper-deck.jpg  

Last edited by KLANDERMAN; 06-02-2005 at 10:08 AM.
KLANDERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 10:53 AM   #7113
Moderator
 
Artificial-I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rurouni Kenshin
Posts: 3,459
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I
Default

Well guys. I finally got my "race" engine. I got the STS D3R modified motor. Ill let you know how it runs. From what I hear its a good motor and I got a great deal.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 02:34 PM   #7114
Tech Fanatic
 
nsxshogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 847
Send a message via AIM to nsxshogun
Default

Score on the motor AI. I should be getting mine next week sometime. I'm getting the D5.
nsxshogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 02:42 PM   #7115
Regional Moderator
 
Darkseid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At my computer, duh...
Posts: 9,033
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

I've had my R40 for quite some time now, and I finally got bit by the servo gremlin. Took a relatively mild (by nitro standards) hit directly to the servo and broke the servo mounts and even broke a servo output shaft.

Guess its time to order some spares...
__________________
TLR 22...Tamiya F104...
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:36 PM   #7116
Tech Fanatic
 
KLANDERMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Guatemala, Central America
Posts: 917
Default

Im happy to say that with the mods I did with removing the Rx box, partial battery box, the titanium screw set and theLW upper deck my car now weighs 60 grams less...

I can't wait for saturday to do some testing, I hope you guys can do some similar mods to shave some more weight. I'll post pictures tonight as I'm at the office at the moment...
KLANDERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:41 PM   #7117
Tech Fanatic
 
KLANDERMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Guatemala, Central America
Posts: 917
Default

this is what the car was weighing with out gas, body and the LW upper deck, titanium screws and the removal of the Rx box and the battery box, earlier I said partial battery box as what I did was to cut the box and just kept the area in which the screws fit from the bottom. It was weighing 1780 grams, now it weighs 1720...
Attached Thumbnails
HPI R40 Nitro Car Forum-1780grs-r-40.gif  
KLANDERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:19 PM   #7118
Tech Master
 
Rapid Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: L.A. (Rowland Hts)
Posts: 1,531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLANDERMAN
this is what the car was weighing with out gas, body and the LW upper deck, titanium screws and the removal of the Rx box and the battery box, earlier I said partial battery box as what I did was to cut the box and just kept the area in which the screws fit from the bottom. It was weighing 1780 grams, now it weighs 1720...

You can also save quite a bit of weight by using AAA receiver batteries. I believe that Hara used 4 cells but 5 cells would give you better servo response.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:26 PM   #7119
Tech Fanatic
 
KLANDERMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Guatemala, Central America
Posts: 917
Default

RAPID ROY- I guess you are right because while doing all my mods I saw that just the battery weigh 124 grams, this is the HPI 1200 flat pack for all of you who are wondering how much it weighs , so I could try and use 4-5 AAA batteries and see how much they weigh together... I'l try that tonight with my MINI-Z batteries. Now the HPI flat pack glued to the botton cover weighs 130 Grams... I guess we can shave some grams there...
KLANDERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 05:09 PM   #7120
Tech Regular
 
JAG Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Prosper, Texas
Posts: 458
Send a message via AIM to JAG Racing
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLANDERMAN
RAPID ROY- I guess you are right because while doing all my mods I saw that just the battery weigh 124 grams, this is the HPI 1200 flat pack for all of you who are wondering how much it weighs , so I could try and use 4-5 AAA batteries and see how much they weigh together... I'l try that tonight with my MINI-Z batteries. Now the HPI flat pack glued to the botton cover weighs 130 Grams... I guess we can shave some grams there...

My custom build ( AAA NiMH - 600mA ) 5-pack weighs in at 63 grams. That would be an additonal 50 grams for you !

Next weigh-in, include the body. Looks like you are in at about 1825 g w/ body now.
JAG Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 07:19 PM   #7121
Tech Fanatic
 
nsxshogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 847
Send a message via AIM to nsxshogun
Default

Klander show some pics of the deck.
nsxshogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:06 PM   #7122
Tech Master
 
performula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: CO
Posts: 1,729
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG Racing
My custom build ( AAA NiMH - 600mA ) 5-pack weighs in at 63 grams. That would be an additonal 50 grams for you !

Next weigh-in, include the body. Looks like you are in at about 1825 g w/ body now.
Hara had a 800mah pack at the 2004 Fuel Nat'ls. Pretty cool.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:47 PM   #7123
Tech Elite
 
AMGRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLANDERMAN
this is what the car was weighing with out gas, body and the LW upper deck, titanium screws and the removal of the Rx box and the battery box, earlier I said partial battery box as what I did was to cut the box and just kept the area in which the screws fit from the bottom. It was weighing 1780 grams, now it weighs 1720...
My 2004 edition pretty much standard with the light HPI battery (800mah and 42 grams) weight 1646 with 59mm foam tires on and when I add a Mazda 6 painted body goes up to 1756. I also have a personal transponder in my car...........
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 10:15 PM   #7124
Tech Regular
 
JAG Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Prosper, Texas
Posts: 458
Send a message via AIM to JAG Racing
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGRacer
My 2004 edition pretty much standard with the light HPI battery (800mah and 42 grams) weight 1646 with 59mm foam tires on and when I add a Mazda 6 painted body goes up to 1756. I also have a personal transponder in my car...........

I know we've been through this previously, but what accounts for the 75 grams (comparing to mine at 1825 w/ body). Does it have front one-way and rear spool? What other titanium parts?

Mine:
LW chassis
LW Batt (63g)
LW 2-sp
Mid & main shafts
graphite shock twrs
Alum shocks (actually heavier than stock)
titanium screws
transponder
body
JP FX T-03 eng ( not sure how heavy the engine is compared to my NS3 )
JAG Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 11:07 PM   #7125
Tech Elite
 
AMGRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG Racing
I know we've been through this previously, but what accounts for the 75 grams (comparing to mine at 1825 w/ body). Does it have front one-way and rear spool? What other titanium parts?

Mine:
LW chassis
LW Batt (63g)
LW 2-sp
Mid & main shafts
graphite shock twrs
Alum shocks (actually heavier than stock)
titanium screws
transponder
body
JP FX T-03 eng ( not sure how heavy the engine is compared to my NS3 )
I have LW chassis
LW batt (42g) (Thats 20 grams there)
LW 2-speed
mid and main shafts
graphite towers
alum shocks
titanium screws
AMB personal transponder
body (110 grams painted)
NS12 S3 A1 motor
Skyline racing pipe (dunno if lighter)
Oneway front diff (thats about 20-30grams there if I remember right)
Depends on your tires, mine are foam and 59mm (about 10g per tire lighter than rubber)
I have graphite lower front pin braces
Graphite side brace
Graphite arm set (a bit lighter as well)

The last 3 items are really the only "hopups" on my 2004 kit.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New on Nitro and this forum Emaxx rider Rookie Zone 8 02-06-2008 07:21 AM
HPI Nitro MT 2 Forum Tom P Electric Off-Road 5 07-19-2004 06:26 PM
New Nitro R/C Forum Dantherc10man Web Links 0 08-09-2003 07:39 AM
Nitro car forum Rose Money Singapore R/C Racers 47 07-04-2002 08:49 PM
Nitro Forum ART2 Singapore R/C Racers 41 05-16-2002 10:51 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:22 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net