R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-14-2003, 08:13 AM   #646
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just curious, how many minutes was the Super nitro A-Main?
C0NTENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 08:53 AM   #647
Tech Regular

The Super A main was 30 minutes, as was the Nitro Mod Amain.

The Nitro Mod A main was won by a Japanese driver, I don't remember his name, but he was by far, and I mean far, the best most consistent driver in the class.

Mike finished 5th in Nitro mod, i believe, he moved up from 6th after I broke. I was standing next to him on the driver's stand, I had a few laps on him. He is a very good driver and was very courteous when I came up on him, he let me go right by. I returned the favor in Super A main a few times when he passed me, he had me buy a few laps in Super race.

Fastharry and Todd did an amazing job in the pits for me. The best I had ever seen. In a 30 minute main its nice to have a break for a few seconds, but they were so quick I was barely getting one.

I drove the car well for 26 minutes but without them in the pits I probably wouldn't have been in third place. I felt really bad, like I disappointed them in the pits when I broke.

Next year.........

Last edited by treky11; 10-14-2003 at 08:58 AM.
treky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 10:41 AM   #648
Tech Regular

treky11, sounds like you had fun. were you at the NJ race this year?
Old 10-14-2003, 11:17 AM   #649
Tech Master

Okay guys. I've been shadowing this thread for a while now. I can't wait any longer to replace my tired racer2. Untill the R40 came out, I had my heart set on a Serpent 705. Now I'm not sure. I started out with HPI so my heart say R40 but that 705 looks like it's got all of the stuff that I need already. Any comments from those of you who have both cars?

Thanks
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 11:47 AM   #650
Tech Regular

Contender - yes I was at the NJ challenge this year. Ran 5 classes, it was a blast too!

Rapid Roy - go with the R40. I owned two Impulses/705s. The R40 is an easier car to work on and box stock is a better car in my opinion.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:54 PM   #651
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by treky11
Contender - yes I was at the NJ challenge this year. Ran 5 classes, it was a blast too!

Rapid Roy - go with the R40. I owned two Impulses/705s. The R40 is an easier car to work on and box stock is a better car in my opinion.
OK, I'm just trying to figure out who you are. This is Reuben, I was in three classes up in NJ, actaully only two since I was too tired to compete in the other two. I had a orange and speckled blue super.

Old 10-14-2003, 04:54 PM   #652
Tech Regular

Talking

Hey Rueben! You lost my Ni-Starter. LOL

What's up. The HPI bug bit me again. At least I made it to the A main at the worlds and was in third for 26 minutes.

There was an amazing Saleen that won the concourse. Wait till you see the pics on the HPI site.

For anyone interested the site below has lots of great pics of the challenge.

My super is the blue one with flames, (like the icon in my posts) http://www.mongo.ws/photography/hpi/pages/IMG_0454.html

My R40 has an escudo body with an orange nose, white middle, and green rear. There a lots of pics of in action and broken in the sunday section http://www.mongo.ws/photography/hpi/.../IMG_0652.html

http://www.mongo.ws/photography/hpi/sunday/

http://www.mongo.ws/photography/hpi
Old 10-14-2003, 07:22 PM   #653
Tech Regular

LOL, I thought that was you. Well I'm glad you and Todd got a chance to go. Nigel and myself wanted to go, but it was just bad timing, but you guys will see us next year. Right now, we are just running our R40s in a local points series. There are only a total of 3 R40s and the rest of the cars are either Mugen, serpent, trinity and a couple of NTC3. Nigel is competing for the top position while I'm having a very hard time breaking into the A-main. Well let me end it here before this gets even more off topic. Now that I can match the username to the face, I will be able to talk more trash I do have a question for you but I wil post it later.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:11 PM   #654
Tech Adept

Rapid Roy: We have a special combo for R40. check it out.

Thanks

JustRC
justrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 09:09 AM   #655
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Finally got back from Vegas and the HPI Worlds. It was nice to put some faces with screen names like treky11, fastharry, joker, etc. I was the brother from TX with the royal blue and charcoal escudo with the Team TQ garb on for much of the weekend. I had loads of fun and wished that I could have done better than my 9th place A-main finish. I did learn alot and will take that and the experience with me for future big races. I hope that everyone made it back to their homes safely and hope to see many down the road on a track soon.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 09:48 AM   #656
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thought I'd make the rest of you feel better about your Vegas trips, as probably no one had worse luck than me...

First, the TSA agent at Midway Airport in Chicago decided to make a new rule, just for me: no internal combustion engines in checked luggage. I had just printed out the actual TSA rules, and asked him to show me this particular rule, which of course he could not do, but I still had to spend a fortune at the last minute to ship my cars out to Vegas... bad start, but it got worse.

In the first round of Super Nitro qualifying, at about the 3.5 minute mark, with me in the lead, Kobiyashi (the Japanese fast guy), who was out marshalling, managed to totally STOMP on my car, basically destroying it. I got it running again, but the chassis and just about everything was really messed up, and it never ran right again... didn't even qualify for the A with it after posting the second fastest laps with it on Friday (behind Kobiyashi).

With my borrowed R40, I took it kind of easy (not wanting to break my friend's car) and qualified into the 4th position. I got a great start in the main, 2nd place, right behind Kobiyashi. I followed him around for the first several minutes and felt very comfortable with the car. But, then my bad luck struck again... the exhaust gasket on the engine (engine to manifold gasket) blew out, and I was done.. first car to retire. I've never blown that gasket before in my life, and it decided to blow while I'm in second place in the second biggest race I've ever been in.

Overall, I still had a good time though. Everyone has bad days and good days... next time will surely go better for me (can't get much worse at least). I was also pretty happy with the performance of the R40... just might have to get one for myself.

Oh, and I really didn't like that the drivers from Japan were allowed to run R40 option parts that the U.S. drivers were not allowed to run. What was going through their heads when they decided that was fair??? Kobiyashi was good, but not 1 second per lap better than anyone else there, some of that had to be the car that the rest of us couldn't use. The racing was MUCH closer in Super nitro, where he didn't have parts the rest couldn't use. HPI says they will change that for next year... I hope they do.

Oh, but I did get 'runner up' in the concourse (multi-colored LMR body)... who would have thought at that time that the concourse would be my best finish...
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 03:39 PM   #657
Tech Regular

JLock - was good to meet you there. Were you the one on the bubble for the Nitro mod a?

Walt - I agree, I wasn't happy to take out my shafts but like I said, he was better than me. I do think he was more consistent than the rest of us. A lot of us ran with him for a few laps but we eventually fell behind and a few broke driving too hard to try and keep up. His car only had the shafts and except for Roland's on 19 lap run he had a 20 lapper qual while the rest of us had 18. I still don't think shafts equal 2 laps or 36 seconds faster. He was good. Even Scott the announcer thought so and he has seen all of the pros run to.

I shipped my cars there and tried to check them on the way home. TSA grabbed my luggage with all my spares, they let the other bag go. They tossed a fuel bottle of mine and gave me back a bag that had 2 engines and 2 pipes in it, used spares. Guess what, I threw them in my backpack and carried them right on the plane.

If you really want to get upset with anyone about the shafts, complain to Randy from Ohio, he protested about them the first day we were there as soon as he heard someone else had them. I think it was him that go those of us that had shafts in the situation of having to take them out. He also brought it up during the drivers meeting to make sure again.

Good job on the concourse. There was a lot of nice cars there.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:07 PM   #658
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Treky11,

Yes, I was the guy on "the bubble" for the nitro mod A-main. I was able to hang with you guys for the first 7 minutes but took myself out of contention on my first of two mishaps with cutting the "Porkchop" a bit too close. I had fun racing with you, Walt, Fastharry, Joker, etc, and can't wait to mix it up with you guys again. Hopefully next time, I can stay in their the entire time without the dumb mistakes.

Sorry to hear about you and others having problems with your gear and the airlines. It was a long trip but I am glad I drove; many hours on the road, no hassles with airport security.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 05:31 PM   #659
Tech Regular

treky11,

ok, the one question that I do have for you. Based on observation, how many guys were running the escudo body vs the stratus body on their R40s?
Old 10-15-2003, 05:39 PM   #660
Tech Elite

How is the escudo body for handling? ALso how long do those little flaps last??
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote