Tech Regular

i have my two speed like 3 turns out and barely no gap at all
Omar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 01:45 AM   #617
Tech Adept

Default Re: R40 2 speed settings

Quote:
Originally posted by regg151
my .26 powered savage can out run my R40 that should not happen.
Well you're definitely right about that!

Sounds to me like you have some other problem. Even if your R40 was stuck in first gear (or even second gear), it should out run your Savage.

Is your motor tuned? I bet you could lean it out abit. Or maybe the drive train has some serious drag. Is the brake releasing when you hit the throttle? Maybe the clutch isn't working properly.

These are a few things to look at. I wouldn't assume that the two speed is the problem.

Good luck
The Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 07:25 AM   #618
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to regg151 Send a message via AIM to regg151 Send a message via Yahoo to regg151

My savage with the .26 is doing anywhere between 45 - 50 mph, although this is an estimated speed I fairly certain it is accurate as i've run against several 2.5 T maxx's and spanked every single one of em on a 300' straight. I'm currently running 18/52 gearing.

But back on topic my engine is tuned (250f) although it could be leaned out a bit more on the low end but that's not a problem since it helps the engine cool down a bit faster (theory anyway) the drive train is rolling freely brake is working properly, and the centax is (finally) set where I want it. It is deffinitly the 2 speed no doubt about it. so far i've rebuilt my 2 speed clutch and plan on testing it out later today.

Now don't get me wrong the R40 is still plenty quick even in first gear but I need the extra speed for the back straight.
regg151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 08:00 AM   #619
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does anyone know what the "upgrade steering kit" will be? I'm only assuming a graphite linkage.
C0NTENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 09:13 AM   #620
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by C0NTENDER
Does anyone know what the "upgrade steering kit" will be? I'm only assuming a graphite linkage.
the only steering upgrade kit I've seen so far is #33403, which upgrades the steering with bearings.
HPIRACER310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 09:10 PM   #621
Tech Rookie

I will talk again a little bit about HPI quality.-
I will just talk about my experience with the racer Racer 2.
The materials of the racer 2 are just not comparable with the ones my mugen MTX-2 has.
I use to change differential outdrives in my HPI every three weeks. This is my third year running the MTX-2 and I have not changed and outdrive yet.
The diffs in the HPI had to be checked all the time, because they had the tendency to get dry. Even though y used heavy silicones.
The MTX-2 has gaskets and o-rings. They are just leak proof.
Here in my country I was trying to beat serpents and yokomos with my racer two, and that was just impossible. Since I started racing with the MTX-2, that changed and I end up winning the peruvian gas touring championship with my mugen.
I think I learned a lot with my HPI. Because I had to really set it right to try to be with the leaders, and by far I was the fastest HPI in the whole championship, but it was not enough to be a winner.
Probably the R40 is a lot better. But for some reasons I still think that HPI is more into marketing that into winning races.
When I had my HPI Racer 2 in one year I spent probably 3 times more money that I did with my mugen in 2 1/2 years.
Like I said before, this is just my experience with HPI.
Mario Luigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 09:48 PM   #622
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to regg151 Send a message via AIM to regg151 Send a message via Yahoo to regg151

mario you bring up some good points. yet i'm sure you realize that the racer 2 was never ment to be a top level competative car like the mtx-2 it was squarely aimed at the entry level to intermidiate racer/basher it was always hyped as a parking lot racer first and formost.
granted after you threw enough extra money at it you would end up with a decent racer although nothing close to pro level.

Now HPI has realesed the R40 and hyped it to be a pro-level racer, From all the early reports on this car and my own first hand experiance I have to say that HPI has deffinitly hit the mark. The quaility of the kit itself is vastly superiour to any of the previous HPI RS4 kits. Now don't misunderstand me this kit still has yet to really prove itself totally, but so far it looks to have quite a lot of potential.

I look ar it this way with enough money any car can be a winner provided it has the right driver.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:14 AM   #623
Tech Regular

it all about the driver.
Omar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 04:16 PM   #624
Tech Regular

Default MTX 3 or R40?

I have been watching this thread for about a week now and I'm new to the site.I'm looking into going from bashing Parking lots to the Track.......Keep yer heads low........ I was pretty much sold on the R40 but just visited my LHS and They keep Putting the MTX3 in my hands..... Now They have no parts support for the R40 nor the MTX3, But do Say that they will have it for both soon. Price diff is about $100 but I know The MTX3 has some of the Hop ups that I would be buying anyways for the R40.They are Touting weight and Spare part price to be in Favor of The MTX. I will be making a purchase of one of the 2 within a week and would like to Hear if anyone with a R40 and an MTX3 thinks the R40 is better? and if so WHY? I have Learned alot over the past Year with my RC10GT and would like to Step up to the Track Knowing That its just me not the Damn cars Fault.
Fisher890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 04:39 PM   #625
Tech Regular

hey fisher890 and welcome to the boards.

I was havin the same debate a few weeks back between the R40 and the MTX-3 that your having now, I went with the R40 mainly due to parts support. Around here mugen parts are hard to come by and tend to cost more when you do find em.

Now i've never drivin the MTX-3 but I have drivin the MTX-2 and I was quite impressed with it (what made me even consider the MTX-3) from where I sit you really can't go wrong with either kit if you can get the parts and the price is reasonble then go for it.

I know there are a couple of guys on this board that do have both and can give you a better overall impression of both cars.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:20 PM   #626
Tech Regular

But How do you feel about your R40 Thats what I'm after. How was it to build? How well does it handle and do you think it drives as well as the MTX 2 that you drove? I am a Novice or below as far as a track goes so that makes me an idiot ...... can any idiot drive the mtx3 better then the R40 or is it lost in the performance of the idiot? I will be going with a Legal RB motor 410 or 430 3 port.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:27 PM   #627
Tech Regular

ok here goes then, if your going into racing as a novice i'd say go with a milder motor like either the MT-12 or the OSTR 12 both engines put out some respectable power and are fairly easy to tune and coast under 200$ just my 2cents

ok me personaly I prefer the R40 over the MTX-2 much easier to setup and maintain your settings. IMO it also out performes the MTX-2 but again this all comes down to driver ability. not to blow my own horn but i've out driven mtx-2 and serpent 705's with my 6 year old RS4 racer, not the cars fault but their drivers just were not up to my level of ability. I would consider myself to be an intermidiate driver i'm good but no where near even semi pro level.

The R40 kit took me about 7-8 hours to build lot of farggin screws and the bits and peices are not in the bags you'd expect them to be in. all in all I was very impressed with the fit and finish of the parts and the quality of the plastic used is of a high quality, reminds me a lot of the plastic used in the savage 21 high strength but stil somewhat flexable. out of the box performance is very surprising it tracks very well and feels very predictable in and around the corners even when I can get it to break loose it's still very controllable.

now as a complete novice to nitro onroad I would recomend the R40 mainly because the setup is just so much easier to adjust all you need to do is add or remove a shim where ever you need it. the MTX-2/3 requiers the use of a setup board and the associated gauges to go along with it.

and to answer you last question alot of performance is lost in the hands of the idiot but as you learn the car and improve your skills you'll get better.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:22 AM   #628
Tech Adept

Quote:
now as a complete novice to nitro onroad I would recomend the R40 mainly because the setup is just so much easier to adjust all you need to do is add or remove a shim where ever you need it. the MTX-2/3 requiers the use of a setup board and the associated gauges to go along with it.
That right there Fisher is the best reason to go with the R40.

Also that $100 you'll save can go toward the motor.
The Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 06:47 AM   #629
Tech Apprentice

I just got an R40... no time to build it as of yet. Probably not for a while. I have so much work latley. I'm still deciding on an engine though. I already own an OS12TR but would like to try something new. I'm thinking an NS3, but with that new Mugen long stroke out, not so sure.
BossPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 10:45 AM   #630
Tech Regular

Quote:

That right there Fisher is the best reason to go with the R40.

Also that $100 you'll save can go toward the motor.
Thank you Both for your replies and I do subscribe to the KISS (keep it simple stupid) theory as much as possible. Do you feel that this new shim system is a sign of things to come or more a one time deal I like the thought but if this system doesn't stick around I fear of being retarded in my growth in not knowing how to set a car up like everyone else with the gauges and board. as far as the $100 issue the money would go into a front oneway and sways and I'm sure into lighter Hop ups that the MTX already has so i don't feel that the $100 is really saved. I am looking at spending alot of time building this car before it actually sees a drop of fuel. I will Have around $800 wrapped up in the whole package before I break in the motor. I guess my Main concern would boil down to weight, drivabilty, and ease of maintenance. With overall performance being Top Notch as well. I think I am asking too much I guess I'll flip a coin can't go wrong either way it seems.