R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-22-2005, 01:53 PM   #6106
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by HarKonnenD
You tape the RX to the Throttle servo..way over there?
If you check out pictures of Hara's car, he has his receiver mounted on the servo too. Couldn't throw the weight of too much concidering he won the ROAR nationals 2 years straight.

Regarding the starter box. The single motor 12v battery setup is stronger by far then the 2 stick pack double motor. Trust me, I have both types. I know people who have replaced the duel motors with 19turn mod motors and 3300mah stick packs for starting power close to the single motor with gel cel, but thats somwhere around $80 to $100 in hop ups.

The one advantage to the duel stick pack/motor box is the light weight.

One last thing. If you think a bump (airplane) starter is easier then using the starter box, then your starter box isn't set up properly. You need to adjust the pins on the top of the box so it holds your car securely with the flywheel in the proper position over the starter wheel. Then you just press down to start. I had to work with mine for a bit before I got it just right. Just take your time, its worth it. I have the OFNA one and needed to remove one of the springs so I didn't have to press down so hard to get the flywheel to engage.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 02:01 PM   #6107
Tech Fanatic

Roy thanx for the tip on the RX, i will be doing some testing later on.
I had a starter box, I replaced it because of the space it took on my box, now with the airplane starter I feel it's easier, maybe like yo said because it wasn't set properly, but I will try ne again, just not yet...
KLANDERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 02:05 PM   #6108
Tech Adept

hey ppl just joined and glad to see other r40ers around. So just to do my first post i tell about the status of my car.....PIECES.
Rebuilding the front diff rebuilt shocks adjusted two speed adjusted clutch changed to titanium turnbuckels in some areas with new ball cups have a new set of brake and steering links and new springs in back.......yep
Greenbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 02:28 PM   #6109
Tech Fanatic

Thumbs up

Greenbox good to have you join the group... In this forum you'll find pro's. ex-pro's, season racers and bashers. I myself love the r/c world, so I bash and practice a lot to learn more about my car. Each time I drive it I either find some new way to drive or a problem that needs fixing, but here in tis forum is were I've learned most of the tips I need to race the R-40.
Here is a pic of my ride and feel free to post any questions about your car... WELCOME!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (150.7 KB, 87 views)
Old 04-22-2005, 02:37 PM   #6110
Tech Fanatic

Unhappy

Hey you guys this is a tech question!!! I have a kopropo RX, but the antenna cable is a bit used and needs repalcement... The problen is that the wire is very thin and I don't know if I can just replace it with any r/c RX wire, or does the frequency affect this and I need to get 75mhz antenna wire??? Please advice cause the wire looks like it's ging to break soon
Old 04-22-2005, 03:20 PM   #6111
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to JAG Racing

Quote:
Originally posted by KLANDERMAN
Hey you guys this is a tech question!!! I have a kopropo RX, but the antenna cable is a bit used and needs repalcement... The problen is that the wire is very thin and I don't know if I can just replace it with any r/c RX wire, or does the frequency affect this and I need to get 75mhz antenna wire??? Please advice cause the wire looks like it's ging to break soon
You can replace it with similar gauge wire. The length is critical so try to measure the old one +/- 2 inches is OK.
JAG Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 03:41 PM   #6112
Tech Fanatic

JAG' ok, the wire is thiner than the normal futaba or airtronics, so I guess Id have to order some... Now another thing, the wire that I have is a little pealed, but the pealed section stays in the plastic tube, and also the tip of the wire tha is at the end I always secure it with a black plastic cover, this cover sometimes protects the wire, but also bend it a little and I have been cutting small amounts of wire off the top... I have not had any bad receptions or anything, but Am a little concerned with the issue...
Old 04-22-2005, 04:03 PM   #6113
Tech Elite

Do not replace it yourself. Send it back to KO for replacement. Antenna wire length is critical as stated. Also the thickness of the wire and its resistance all affect the tuning of the RX. I tend to be very overcautious with this stuff but I saw a guy 2 weeks ago bend a car in half due to some self repairs of a receiver.

Look at it this way the RX unit is the only link you have to the car when it is going flat out. They are expensive little buggers to replace or repair, but not half as expensive as a trashed car.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:21 PM   #6114
Tech Master

I agree with AMG. You might be able to pick up a used RX in the for sale forum. People are starting to sell them off since the Spectrum 2.3ghz system came out.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:22 PM   #6115
Tech Fanatic

Thanx AMG!
I'm thinking of buying another kopropo radio, the new version of the mars x1 I think it's called helius or something, so I can leave the old kopropo radio for my thunder tiger EK4 S2.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:23 PM   #6116
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Rapid Roy
I agree with AMG. You might be able to pick up a used RX in the for sale forum. People are starting to sell them off since the Spectrum 2.3ghz system came out.
What is this new Spectrum 2.3ghz system for?
Old 04-22-2005, 05:38 PM   #6117
Tech Apprentice

From what I hear, those Spektrum receivers work on a different frequency spectrum allowing you to have less interference when using regular 75mhz/27mhz receivers. they switch automatically to find an open channell. Somehow they seem to be real good from what I hear. It may be something good for heavy racers.

The price is not too shabby either plus they work with some current Transmitters out there. It may be worth checking out if you have the money to invest on them.
SasonRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:41 PM   #6118
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by SasonRC
From what I hear, those Spektrum receivers work on a different frequency spectrum allowing you to have less interference when using regular 75mhz/27mhz receivers. they switch automatically to find an open channell. Somehow they seem to be real good from what I hear. It may be something good for heavy racers.

The price is not too shabby either plus they work with some current Transmitters out there. It may be worth checking out if you have the money to invest on them.
Thanks, do you have a link or something, so I can check them out?
Old 04-22-2005, 05:51 PM   #6119
Tech Master

Hey guys,
I'm just finishing up building my r40 but am having trouble with the wiring.. I cant seem to find enough room for it all in the battery box..
how did you wire everything?

thanks..
onnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:53 PM   #6120
Tech Apprentice

Here is the info on spektrum.

Link
SasonRC is offline   Reply With Quote