R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-01-2005, 02:36 PM   #4366
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally posted by KLANDERMAN
Thanks RapidRoy!!! Where can I buy, or see the 2004 asian editon with all the lightweight option parts? Is there a link or something that you can send me?

I race the R-40 mostly against serpent's 705 and 710, but I can hear them change gear while in my case, I can;t here mine change, I've heard it a couple of times, but like you say it's probably smoother than my super nitro. On the other hand myy car with out gas weighs aproximately 2000grs and thats why I need to get all the lightweight components... please advise on the like if you have it
Klanderman
I don't think hearing is the best thing to do.....Super Nitro stock 2 speed is FINGER type clutch, probably the WORST type of 2-speed that you can find........so don't use that as a standard.

R40 clutch is like most of the recent car that is still using....2 shoes push type....(like 710, V1RRR or NTC3..), you don't really want to hear it....lift the car up in the air, slowly apply throttle.........if you adjust the centax and 2-speed correctly, you will suddenly SEE and FEEL the car "Jurk" a little, thats when the 2nd speed is engaged....

Again, they key is...slowly apply gas, not GUNNING the throttle suddenly....
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 02:39 PM   #4367
Tech Fanatic

thanks!!! I'll try that on saturday. My girl videotapes the races, and sometime I can bearly hear change, but I'll try to slowly accelerate to feel the change.
KLANDERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 02:43 PM   #4368
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

hold the car in your hand after you start it, give it thrittle slowly untill you hear it shift ( you might have done this allready) the car shifts smooth, run the car with no other cars on the track to get your shift point that way you can hear it
Old 02-01-2005, 03:33 PM   #4369
Tech Fanatic

Default track layout

We also run in car parks in Townsville, North Queensland Australia
This year we have built a new track and tried something different that seems to work very well.
for the corner markers we use old plough disks that we found on a nearby farm, heavy enough not to move when hit but not to heavy that they are not easily moved to set the track in about 30 minutes. In between the corner disks we use 150mm conduit cut in half and screwed together, then joined to the disks with hooks and rubber straps. this alows them to move a bit if the cars get out of shape, but also return to the original track position without the help of a marshall.
We are racing again tonight, i'll see if i can get some video footage or some photos to post.
Speedbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 04:15 PM   #4370
Tech Regular

ei guys,

just got an r40,

we are used the 12R XS engine from hpi and 30% fuel from trinity. 42S foam tires.
we've adjusted shock positions and made the car easier to drive fast compared to stock. we're running on a high traction asphalt flowing track.

we ran it the other day and was lapping consistently 3.3 seconds slower than the best track time.

just got into nitro modified, me and my dad are thrilled of the speed of this car.

but i think +3.3seconds will only take us to C-main on the next race.

what do you think should be our next step/s to improve lap times?
what car settings should we adjust next?
silver_spo0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 04:25 PM   #4371
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by silver_spo0n
ei guys,

just got an r40,

we are used the 12R XS engine from hpi and 30% fuel from trinity. 42S foam tires.
we've adjusted shock positions and made the car easier to drive fast compared to stock. we're running on a high traction asphalt flowing track.

we ran it the other day and was lapping consistently 3.3 seconds slower than the best track time.

just got into nitro modified, me and my dad are thrilled of the speed of this car.

but i think +3.3seconds will only take us to C-main on the next race.

what do you think should be our next step/s to improve lap times?
what car settings should we adjust next?
Very hard to say without seeing the track or how you are driving.

My advice is as follows in this order:

1. Leave the car alone generally to start with, the standard setup will work pretty well on most tracks.
2. Find out what tires the fast guys are running on and buy them. Including the diameter of the tires.
3. Watch where the fast guys put their car on the track. Putting the car in the right place on the track and entering and exiting corners at the right speed will make you far faster than any hopup parts.
4. Decide if your gearing is right, are you getting out punched, or is your car hitting maximum revs too early on the straight?
5. After trying to follow the fast guys line then you can start deciding where you car is not handling correctly. I used Haras setup from the 2004 ROAR onroad race and I really like it on a flowing high grip track.

You can do the above things very cheaply and they should allow you to start thinking about where your car is working well and where it is not. This is the first skill required to tune a rc car well.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:08 AM   #4372
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bboytab

bboytab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:50 AM   #4373
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

AMG-With advice like that I feel like just getting a new .12 and inline exhaust system. I do enjoy my car stock, but due to the winter I haven't driven it in a while. I guess what I'm gonna do is restart in stock form and get the upgrades later on when I go racing again. Anyone running RB engines or just Novarossi's and Serpents? I know my THS pipe may not be allowing my MT12 to run at full potential, so I guess with a new pipe and the 2speed upgraded I can see some new things. Heck I haven't even passed 2nd gear yet and I still think the car is quite fast, but I know it can be faster. Few people recall the REX pipe working really great with the car or Novarossi. What do you guys think?
Old 02-02-2005, 09:49 AM   #4374
Tech Fanatic

Default One way bearing!!!

Does the one way bearing for the 2 speed tranny come with the kit, or it it sold seperately? My R40 kit didn't have one so I had to get one from a serpent 705 kit. They look the same, so thats what i've been using. Do you think there is a problem with that. or is it ok?
Old 02-02-2005, 10:02 AM   #4375
Tech Lord

Did you buy your kit new and did you put it together, If so it does come with it just email hpi and they should fix it,or do you mean the .08 2 spd and yes it comes complete
Old 02-02-2005, 10:04 AM   #4376
Tech Fanatic

I bought my kit new from www.towerhobbies.com, but the one way was nowhere to be found. Luckily my friens have serpents 705 and they use the same 2 speed tranny, so that is what im using right now.

I'll email them to let tem know, maybe they will send me one.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:10 AM   #4377
Tech Lord

they should i had a problem with kit and called them and they took care of it
Old 02-02-2005, 10:13 AM   #4378
Tech Fanatic

I looked for www.hpiracing.com to see where I could contact them, but couldn't find an e-mail address???
Old 02-02-2005, 10:18 AM   #4379
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bboytab
Default gearing

Guys,

any suggestions on the R40's gearing....i plan to use Hara's 2004 setup from hpi's website....track: has sweeping turns, a bit technical, straight is about 100 ft.
bboytab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 10:24 AM   #4380
Tech Lord

neither could i email tower hobbies or join hpi's forum and ask there